Heinkel 162 stripped down!

HL-10

On a recent visit to IWM Duxford I found that they were in the process of stripping down a Heinkel 162 in the restoration hall.

I believe it's the one that used to be on display in the IWM London.

I took the opportunity to take some photos of the parts as they are not the usual pictures of the little Heinkel which are seen.

Not just interesting because you can see seldom viewed areas, but also because of the work on the wings which reveal other colours and markings, especially the ones applied after capture and during testing by the RAF.

Enjoy! 😃

He-162-011.jpg

HE-162-012.jpg

hE-162-013.jpg

hE-162-014.jpg

hE-162-015.jpg

hE-162-016.jpg

hE-162-017.jpg

hE-162-018.jpg

hE-162-019.jpg

He-162-020.jpg

He-162-021.jpg

He-162-022.jpg

He-162-023.jpg

He-162-024.jpg

He-162-025.jpg

He-162-027.jpg

He-162-028.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

On 2/27/2024 at 12:11 PM, Paul Lucas said:

We can only hope that they are diligently recording the different paint finishes that they find on a layer by layer basis. . .

This, I have visions of a bloke with an orbital sander.....🫣

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2024 at 12:11 PM, Paul Lucas said:

We can only hope that they are diligently recording the different paint finishes that they find on a layer by layer basis. . .

Some do though...

I remember reading about car restorations where all paint layers were analysed and conserved.

As was the location of the paint.

They used some sort of 'blaster' where they could control depth of removal.

I see 'restoration/conservation' efforts which although well meant, make me cringe with horror. 

"We just had our parts back from the blaster, look how clean and shiny!".....noooooooooo!

• Sad 1

Indeed they do. I was principally thinking of the work done by the Fleet Air Arm Museum on their Corsair and Martlet when I wrote those words.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting these pics! This is one of the (many) things I miss about the Smithsonian’s now closed Paul S Garber facility. You could go through and see the restorations up close and talk to the people working on them. I got to watch most of the progress of the restorations of the Ar 243 and Sierran back in the 80s. I just wish I’d thought to take more photos!

Ben

• Like 2

Great photo’s! I have always wondered why nobody has built a full size flying replica. It is a simple small structure and apparently the handling qualities quite good. Not for the inexperienced pilot, but not unsafe either.

• Like 1

Thanks for these pictures.

One point that strikes me - the nosecone appears to be light metal, where all the references I can recall stated that it was moulded plywood.

SD

• Like 2