Royal Saudi Air Force Museum, Riyadh

The group decided to take a day off from the World Defense Show to visit the RSAF museum in central Riyadh and track down a new airbase out in the desert that housed PC-21s and doesn't feature on Google Maps. However, it does show on Maps,me. Suffice to say that we couldn't really get anywhere close to the base let alone see any flying but it was worth giving it a go. 

The RSAF Museum was a different story. Open from 4-9pm each day we decided to chance it and arrived at 10.15am and were let in! There was no charge. Much to our relief the two parties of school children present soon disappeared and we had the place to ourselves. 

This is a nice museum and for anybody visiting Riyadh it is certainly worth spending some time in. Uber operates in Riyadh too! 

DSC_5925

KO4_6591

KO4_6541

KO4_6550

KO4_6554

KO4_6552

DSC_5785

KO4_6562

KO4_6580

KO4_6581

KO4_6609

KO4_6589

KO4_6662

KO4_6664

KO4_6638

KO4_6650

KO4_6633

KO4_6629

KO4_6624

KO4_6637

DSC_5887

DSC_5860

DSC_5853

DSC_5836

DSC_5816

DSC_5808

DSC_5809

DSC_5813

DSC_5823

32. This poor old ADV is dumped around the back of the museum. 

DSC_5751

33. Not part of the museum this Apache was snapped from a moving car outside the impressive HQ of the Royal Saudi Land Forces. 

DSC_5686 1

That's it, thanks for looking. 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I never realised the RSAF had a national museum let alone one so packed full of rare and interesting exhibits! A very worthwhile detour from the main air event rewarded with some fantastic and unusual images. Thanks for sharing!

Mark

• Thanks 1

The Aircraft stock has increased since the last time I was in there. I spent twenty years working in Riyadh and at Al Kharj airbase, An hour or so South.

There was a large area on the adjacent Air Base in Riyadh which contained retired Aircraft and vehicles. We were told that a Museum was to be built.

Some of the guys were diverted fro work to help to refurbish some of the Airframes for display but resources were slim so they used what they had.

On the way to work one day we passed a huge convoy of low loaders full of Texans and other Aircraft from other Airbase dumps.

Some of these became display Aircraft. I had a small team and we moved the Strikemaster coded 1129 up there. The wing roots are damaged as we had

to use whatever strops we could find to suspend it from the crane. We dismantles some of the Strikeys when they retired.

The C-54 was complete but the Rudder disappeared for some reason. The Lightning had spent many years in the big hangar at Riyadh.

As you say, the staff are very good and entry was always flexible. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Is that a S61 or Yeovil Sea King ?

I don't recall seeing a board in front of the helicopter but according to this photographer it's a Westland product. 

Royal Saudi Air Force Westland WS-61 Sea King-HC.4 120 – v1images Aviation Media

• Like 1

Absolutely top stuff from what looks like an interesting museum. It sounds like you really enjoyed your trip as a whole,

Andy 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...