Austin K2/Y Ambulance

OK slight change of build plan, I said that the next on the bench would be the HobbyBoss Scammell Commander with the Amusing Hobby Centurion AVRE for a load well whilst at the South West Model Show at the Bovington Tank Museum I was given the Airfix Austin K2/Y by the friend that I shared a table with as he had ended up with two. He has built one as in the film Ice Cold in Alex but didn't want to build a second one so thought I might like to have it so it has made its way onto the bench and will be built out of the box using the Northern Europe markings in the kit. 

A start has been made with the basic chassis being assembled completing build sections one and two

IMG-0505.jpg

IMG-0506.jpg

That's as far as its progressed more soon I hope

Thanks for looking in your time is very much appreciated

Stay safe               Roger

• Like 18

Oh yeah!  Front row seat ... I'll be following this one to see you do your magic on it! 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 4:06 PM, Keeff said:

Oh yeah!  Front row seat ... I'll be following this one to see you do your magic on it! 

Keith 😁 

Nice to see you Keith hope your comfortable

On 2/15/2024 at 7:51 PM, psdavidson said:

Worth hanging around to watch

I'll be in the lurky corner

/P

Hope you like what you see Peter no need to hide in the corner

On 2/15/2024 at 11:02 PM, Stef N. said:

Count me in too Roger. And I hope you had a good time at Bovington. 👍

Welcome Stef and yes Bovington was very enjoyable thank you.

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice gift Roger.

I have seen this kit around and I think I will watch you perform some magic on her.

Simon.

Welcome Simon I hope you like what you see

Thanks to everyone who has hit the like button I hope you will not be disappointed.

Sorry there is no update pics at present, I have been to the bench today and added the rear axle and drive line which started me thinking(always a dangerous thing), you can see in the pic above you are given a sump and gearbox with no actual engine so it occured to me perhaps an engine could be fabricated then the bonnet could be cut open on one side. I have spent most of this afternoon looking at pictures of an engine and am now giving this some thought should I, shouldn't I.

More progress soon I hope Thanks for stopping by and taking an interest

Stay safe          Roger 

• Like 2

Thanks to @Milan Mynar for your kind comment.

A bit more of the chassis frame has been assembled and the front and rear axles with the suspension have also been added. Airfix give you a sump and lower half of the gearbox to fit the propellor shaft too. Now this is going to be an Out of the Box build but I couldn't resist attempting to scratch a facsimile of the Austin 6 cylinder engine so as you can see that is what I'm attempting, the plan is to display the completed model with one side of the bonnet open.

Here are the results so far

IMG-0512.jpg

IMG-0516.jpg

IMG-0513.jpg

IMG-0514.jpg

IMG-0518.jpg

Thanks for stopping by your time is appreciated

Stay safe                 Roger

• Like 18

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to @Spookytooth and @Bullbasket for the kind comments and to everyone who pushed the like button.

First off apologies for the absence of any updates for a long period but life has got in the way a bit of late with sister in law back in hospital with breathing difficulties connected to her cancer problems, the gas oven then decided to leek and with no spare parts available as it's over ten years a new one has to be sourced all good fun as they say!

Anyway a very small update on the K2/Y in that the chassis has been given a coat of NATO green primer and the drive train and exhaust painted, I am aware that it should be painted in SCC15 and it will end up that colour but I had the NATO green handy and has covered the all the hard to reach bits so it should a least look somewhere close when finished.

I'm still working on the engine but haven't taken any more photographs of that yet.

IMG-0519.jpg

IMG-0520.jpg

More on this one when time/life permits.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by it is very much appreciated 

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 14

Nice work Roger!  

15 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

there is more pressing and important matters to contend with at the moment.

Completely agree! 

Take care

Keith 😁 

• Like 2

Very good Roger, as I like to say this isn't a race.

NATO green is as good as any other as a base. 👍

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

Thanks to @Spookytooth, @Keeff, @Bullbasket, @APA, @edjbartos and @Jasper dog for your comments also thanks to all who pressed the like button it's very much appreciated and helps maintain the mojo!

Sometime has been found and a little progress has resulted, the scratched engine has been added although there is some small detail bits yet to add. The floor pan has been started with the floors being painted as well as the walls and most of the fittings for the rear area put together, the bulk head between the driver and rear area has also been added. 

I'll let the pictures tell the story

IMG-0521.jpg

IMG-0522.jpg

IMG-0523.jpg

IMG-0524.jpg

IMG-0525.jpg

Along way still to go but it's moving forward slowly

Thanks for taking the time to drop by and I hope your own projects are progressing well

Stay safe               Roger 

• Like 13

Taking shape now Roger, your interior is already looking pretty appealing!

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I can just imagine Sylvia Sims sitting in the back.

John really,  this is supposed to be a PG forum!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

John really,  this is supposed to be a PG forum!

I know, but I can get away with it, because anyone under the age of 60 won't know who the devil I'm talking about.

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Oh those eyes!! That's one lieutenant who can put me on a 262 anytime she likes (and I'm not talking about Messerschmitt's).

John.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I know, but I can get away with it, because anyone under the age of 60 won't know who the devil I'm talking about.

John.

Don't give me that, I had an idea....:tasty:

• Haha 2