F-105D Thunderchief "T-Stick II"

Slater

From a USAF history:

"Another crucial modification, started in 1966 and hindered by numerous problems, would give 30 F-105Ds improved visual bombing accuracy, a more precise navigation system, and a better blind bombing capability. An overriding problem was the poor reliability and rising cost of the AN/ARN-85 LORAN system first considered. This problem persisted until new testing began at Eglin AFB in September 1969. The T-Stick II/Loran prototype aircraft was then equipped with the AN/ARN-92 (produced by International Telephone and Telegraph) and successfully flight tested. Still, modification of the 30 aircraft was not completed until late July 1971."

Although the modification program was completed in 1971, it appears that none of these aircraft saw combat in Vietnam. Or has anyone heard different?

33 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

I believe that most of them were based at Carswell AFB 457TFS/301TFW "TH"

DR

And before that, McConnell AFB in Kansas with the 23rd TFW.

d716ESF.jpeg

• Like 7

On 1/28/2024 at 9:14 PM, sloegin57 said:

I believe that most of them were based at Carswell AFB 457TFS/301TFW "TH"

DR

I saw and photographed 22 of them at Carswell in October 1980, plus 3 standard Ds and  3 Fs. All TH coded. A great morning!

aThud2

• Like 10

I was part of the 7th Bomb Wing and our admin section was just around the corner on the taxiway from the F-105's. I would drive past them every morning. Took these when one pasted through Cannon AFB transient ramp in the 80's.

F-105D-TH-60-0527-LtRearQtr F-105D-TH-60-0527-RtRearQtr

I scratch built the mod after the Monogram D came out. No longer have the kit, was victim to a ceiling collapse many years ago. I also have a few of the Monogram T-stick D's and a bunch of F/G kits in the stash. One of these days I'll spent the money for the Reskit parts.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 9

another two to set the juices running!

aCars50

the only "proper" Thud there on the day, apart from the Fs. ;). Edit/correction - there were three standard Ds on that day - 61-0176, 62-4387 and 62-4253.

aCars43

Martin

• Like 8

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

another two to set the juices running!

aCars50

the only "proper" Thud there on the day, apart from the Fs. ;). Edit/correction - there were three standard Ds on that day - 61-0176, 62-4387 and 62-4253.

Wow, I was about to ask if any TSIIs were finished in the wraparound camo, and you present this wonderful image!

Wonderful images all round, thank you Martin and Ron.

As a side question, did any of you capture an image of the underside of 105 in wraparound?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 71chally said:

As a side question, did any of you capture an image of the underside of 105 in wraparound?

Sorry, mate, but I didn't. Only a few were wrapped around at that time (Oct 1980) and as I wasn't modelling then I didn't look! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Superb Martin, must have been a great experience being there.

It absolutely was. My mate and I were so lucky to get the flight line tour and then a long time out at the runway edge. As was/is pretty normal, we arrived at around 0730 and flying started at about 0800. We also got around Dobbins (also in 1980) and Andrews (in 1981) both for the Thuds.  Those were the days! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

We also got around Dobbins (also in 1980) and Andrews (in 1981) both for the Thuds.  Those were the days! 

I would love to have seen and heard Thuds, especially in those numbers and close up.

Would love to see more photos and of Dobbins.

On 1/30/2024 at 3:01 PM, 71chally said:

I would love to have seen and heard Thuds, especially in those numbers and close up.

Would love to see more photos and of Dobbins.

Apologies up front to Slater for hijacking his thread but as you asked here is another couple

bthud100

bthud102

I've posted many others before but had to clear out my Flickr account. I hope these few do!

Martin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whiskey said:

@RidgeRunner I’m interested in that shark mouth Thud in the background of 071s photo. Happen to snap it as well?

I did. It was F-105F 63-8343 “Cat’s Trash”. I can post a photo in a day or two.

• Like 1

Ha! I just finished the Mono T-Stick jet. You can see some of my “meh” pix of it over at Hyperscale Plastic Pics if you're interested. I was in the “Spads” for 9 years. One of those jets, 61-100 is still on display there behind the BX.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, whiskey said:

@RidgeRunner oh wow that’s even better than I was expecting! A shark mouth F model Thud in Texas markings! 🤩

Thanks!

Uh, oh....now look what you have done! RR is digging through his stash for an F-105F/G kit even as we speak! No place else but Texas!

Mike

• Haha 1