RAN WESSEX HAS31B

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Sensational Chris and amazing detail/scratch work so far!  You are gathering an awesome RAN collection now

Just beautiful....love helicopters

Thanks Anthony - really appreciate your comments👍

Chris

• Like 1

I did a bit of a clean-up around the frame & then decided to spray a coat of paint to see how it all looks - I picked a Tamiya XF14 a light grey green colour which is something like the interior colour I want - will still experiment with tones & washes to get a well-used look but I am happy with XF14 to start things off. The photo with the cabin on its side is closest to the actual colour on the model.

IMG-5381.jpgIMG-5382.jpgIMG-5384.jpg

I ended up cutting a recess for the fire extinguisher as the more I looked at it the more it bugged me.

Thanks to @perdu & @Heloman1 I have been investigating incorporating some of @hendies Wessex goodies & have made initial contact with him - meanwhile I have been reading Hendies WIP of a Wessex HC2 - all 84 pages of it - 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234971153-wessex-hc2-a-dauphins-stablemate-520-days-later-its-finished-why-yes-it-is-indeed/

Thats it for now so we will see where I go next with this build.

CJP

• Like 11

I've made a little bit more progress on my Wessex & have ordered a couple of @hendies detail sets - I studied the photo below of Wessex N7-216 (WA216) when it was suspended up in the air at the National Maritime Museum in Sydney NSW - it was subsequently moved to the AWM in Canberra (I read online it is in pristine condition)

This photo, which I found somewhere on the internet, provides a good view of the Wessex underside & the covered over Sonar well

Wessex-N7-216-02-med.jpg

Based on this photo I removed the Sonar well from the kit part & fitted a rectangle of plastic card.

IMG-5401.jpgIMG-5400.jpg

I decided that when I get the transmission bay set from @hendie I will display the port side access/work panel in the open position but decided not to open the starboard side as it seems to get a bit fiddly where it has a sliding? panel to accommodate the winch assembly when opened.

The panel was cut away from the fuselage side - I referred to the 4Plus book which has a couple of photos of the open work panel & added the framework & a piece of 20 thou plastic sheet to represent the surface I assume the mechanics stand on when doing maintenance.

IMG-5413.jpgIMG-5416.jpgIMG-5420.jpg

I was not sure how much of the inside of the starboard closed panel will be visible once the transmission assembly was installed & fuselage closed up, so I added some framework just in case making them closer together than my initial pencil lines.

Having looked at @hendies HC2 build I suspect the transmission bay deck may have to be hacked around a bit so am waiting to see.

IMG-5421.jpgIMG-5426.jpg

Thanks for looking bye for now.

CJP

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a bit over a week away from the modelling desk so getting back into the build today - In the meantime I have ordered some of @hendies Wessex upgrades to incorporate into my Wessex - for anyone in Australia interested,

the postage from USA to Oz was about $22USD which is about $33AUD, a lot less than I was expecting.

I think I have the internal structure more or less done & sanded between the frames and gave it a touch up with XF14 grey green Acrylic.

I managed to knock the port cockpit door frame off so had to do a quick running repair on that.

IMG-5476.avif

I can't do much more to the transmission bay area until I get @hendies Wessex parts to see what modification is needed to the deck so I turned my attention to the cabin area & made up what looks like a cage/seat unit with a mesh front - I fabricated a rectangular box based on photos in various Wessex walkarounds using Evergreen strip & Eduard brass 4x4 mesh - also made what  I assume is an electronics cabinet for the right hand front of the cabin -  a coat of paint made it all become part of the background detail.

IMG-5483.avifIMG-5485.avifIMG-5492.avif

I'm Still mulling over what seating to make for the cabin - either troop bench seat or maybe the ASW operator seats as mentioned earlier by @JohnEllis & @Perdu.

Bye for now.

CJP

Edited by CJP
photo/text
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

I love that interior work you've done, can't help but look at it with fascination and awe.  Looks fantastic Chris.

Chris

32 minutes ago, perdu said:

Really captures 'the look' very well Chris, colour me impressed.

I think you are going to be blown away by Alan's new pieces.

Thanks guys - hopefully I can do @hendies stuff justice & showcase them for anyone else mulling over buying some of his sets.

Chris

Chris I posted a bunch of packages to the UK two days before I got your order into the mail, and those folks received their stuff a couple of days ago, so hopefully you won't have much longer to wait

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hendie said:

Chris I posted a bunch of packages to the UK two days before I got your order into the mail, and those folks received their stuff a couple of days ago, so hopefully you won't have much longer to wait

Thanks Alan - I'll post them up here when they arrive

Chris.

• Like 1

That interior Chris is a masterpiece. Once you get Alans resin parts and you start on the transmission deck this build is going to pop.

Colin the Wessex nut.

• Thanks 1

Hi all I have a small update today -

I'm a bit stuck on the transmission deck area waiting for parts to arrive & have not finalised my thoughts on the cabin seats so I decided to have a go at the nose intake.

I was kindly provided with photos of the intake area on the Wessex HAS31A & B by BM modeller @abat so was able to work out the extra framework & mesh on the intake of the HAS31B - I added two extra vertical rods between the outer moulded on rods.

I used the plastic mesh provided in the kit carefully angled to give a diamond pattern to the mesh & attached it to the nose area in three pieces with carefully placed drops of CA.

I then glued the framework over the top of the mesh referring to the photos using fine Evergreen strip

I did trim the mesh before I glued the framework on & now think It may have been better to trim off excess mesh after the frame work was in place & set hard.

The rear wall of the bay was detailed referring to the photos @abat sent me - the round gas bottles? are a couple of suitably sized beads from my wife's sewing supplies - I don't think this area will be very visible once all together & behind the mesh but will provide a hint of what's in there.

IMG-5503.avifIMG-5511.avifIMG-5516.avifIMG-5519.avif

IMG-5524.avifIMG-5520.avifIMG-5525.avif

small trims were added to the outer curved part of the grill & top & bottom of the center panel.

IMG-5526.avifIMG-5534.avif

I made a former in the rear of the nose bay to help with aligning the rear wall of the bay (parts 26B & 27B)

I started researching makers of Oxford Blue acrylic or lacquer paints and am struggling to find a suitable source - most places I have looked  in Australia seem to be out of stock on a lot of paints - ie. Vallejo & Tamiya - anyone have advice on the colour?

Bye for now

Chris

Edited by CJP
photo/text
  • Like 14

I've seen Humbrol 104 quoted for Oxford Blue, its time for me to get some.

I do have Oxford Blue in the Colourcoats range which I might use instead, but I rarely use enamels any more.

Loving the nose area, outstanding Chris.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, perdu said:

I've seen Humbrol 104 quoted for Oxford Blue, its time for me to get some.

I do have Oxford Blue in the Colourcoats range which I might use instead, but I rarely use enamels any more.

Loving the nose area, outstanding Chris.

Thanks for that - Yes, I have steered away from airbrushing my old Humbrol enamels I used for years in favour of mainly using acrylics now too, so don't really want to go back to enamels - I know @bigbadbadge gets some great results brush painting enamels!

I will however keep those in mind if all else fails.

Chris

• Like 1

nice work Chris.  I just checked the tracking and it appears the package passed through Sydney on Feb 2nd, so hopefully you shouldn't have to wait too much longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More fantastic work Chris, Looks superb,  thanks for the mention too.   Good luck with the paint search, I don't have any knowledge of the acrylics unfortunately,  so can't advise, mine is the Humbrol 104.

I have a couple of Wessex in the stash but think I will build without WIPs for fear of making myself look foolish as not that knowledgeable of the types.

Great work fella

Chris

8 hours ago, hendie said:

nice work Chris.  I just checked the tracking and it appears the package passed through Sydney on Feb 2nd, so hopefully you shouldn't have to wait too much longer.

Thanks Alan - I can finally see it on Australia Post tracking now after transferring from USPS & it gives a delivery estimate 8th - 12th February🤞

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

More fantastic work Chris, Looks superb,  thanks for the mention too.   Good luck with the paint search, I don't have any knowledge of the acrylics unfortunately,  so can't advise, mine is the Humbrol 104.

I have a couple of Wessex in the stash but think I will build without WIPs for fear of making myself look foolish as not that knowledgeable of the types.

Great work fella

Chris

Chris everyone is impressed with the quality of your models & I don't think there is any chance of you looking foolish! - I'm just an old average modeller who plods along.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1