RAN WESSEX HAS31B

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Chris, your models are fantastic fella, it has been so long since I built a chopper .  I could add a Lynx to my thread one day and build up confidence that way😃

Chris

Go for it Chris I'd like to see you do one - incidentally this is the first helicopter model I have made - the new Airfix Sea King is an impressive kit that a few modellers are currently building here on Britmodeller🤔

Chris

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CJP said:

Go for it Chris I'd like to see you do one - incidentally this is the first helicopter model I have made - the new Airfix Sea King is an impressive kit that a few modellers are currently building here on Britmodeller🤔

Chris

Thanks Chris, I might give that a go.  I have the new Seaking and it does look lovely.

You will love that one Chris.

Chris

• Like 1

Hendie's Wessex parts arrived! - I ordered them 27/01/2024 and here they are today all the way from the USA.😀

IMG-5532.avif

As you can see, they were in a very sturdy box neatly lined with foam packing - going to take my time unpacking and examining the parts before I even think about incorporating them into the build - for now the lawnmower is calling☹️

Chris

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 12

22 minutes ago, abat said:

The framework and mesh look spot on Chris. Great work. 

Thanks Andrew - only made possible with your help!

Edited by CJP

Hi all - I started a tentative look at @hendies detail kits - I opened the box again and started to carefully sort through the contents some of which are quite tiny but perfectly printed - I printed off some photos from @hendies Makers Space posts to help make sense of it all - also enlarged some of the 4plus book drawings by 150% to get 1/48 scale to help with this.

IMG_5537.avif

I decided to cement the cabin into the left-hand fuselage half so I would have a starting point to work out where the transmission parts sit - I removed the kit MRGB from the transmission bay deck with my Tamiya razor saw & then sanded the floor flat.

The resin MRGB & Rotor Head sat very nicely when I tried a test fit.

IMG_5540.avifIMG_5538.avif

I printed off two more of Hendie's Makers Space photos to start working out what all of the parts are & where they go! - I need sunny morning light & a magnifying lens to sort out the MGRB torque link & Winch hatch stop.

IMG_5542.avif

It's all a bit challenging right now but I'm sure it will all fall into place once I nut it all out.🤔

Chris

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I went that route when I started my second Wessex build with the 4+ drawings. What a help they were and still refer to them.

Hendie's parts look exquisite, I'm going to have to make a plan, I still have three Wessex to build to complete the family.

Little pieces of Wessex jewellery!!!

Colin the Wessex nut.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

I went that route when I started my second Wessex build with the 4+ drawings. What a help they were and still refer to them.

Hendie's parts look exquisite, I'm going to have to make a plan, I still have three Wessex to build to complete the family.

Little pieces of Wessex jewellery!!!

Colin the Wessex nut.

Wessex jewellry alright Colin - I was a bit wary of picking the MRGB up at first as it looks so delicate.

Chris

• Like 2

Chris, don't fit the torque link to the rotor head until the mesh has been fitted, otherwise it's a real pig to get the mesh over the assembly.  Test fitting is essential as I'm sure there's quite a bit of variation in the italeri kits.

that top view is just to show a very general arrangement. In reality, the pulley on the rotor brake should be in line with the pulley on the cooling fan as the shaft through the rotor brake drives the fan.  It's a tight fit, but it can be done.

IMG_5542.avif

just shout if you have any questions

oops... forgot to add: The support surfaces will need a bit of a clean up with sanding sticks or a file.  The resin sands nicely though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I started test fitting @hendies transmission deck goodies today - getting everything to line up is very fiddly but I got it looking something like how they should be arranged in @hendies photos.

I started looking at the hoop frame working out where I would locate it exactly - ended up fitting it at the end of the bay after reducing the height & making a cut out on the left side to fit over the fuselage thickness - the right side was left as is because I have not opened the right side bay.

Locating it at the end of the transmission bay reduces the length of the opening for the fold down panel so I so I may reduce the thickness of the hoop frame to make that less obvious - TBA - everything is dry fitted and subject to review.

IMG-5546.avifIMG_5545.avif

After battling with the transmission deck goodies for several hours I managed to get all of the parts in some semblance of order, but it all looks a bit crowded & the cooling fan pulley did not line up with the pulley on the Rotor Brake.

IMG-5548.avif

I decided that the rear bulkhead had to move back to make some more room - I cut out a new rear bulkhead former & made the bottom of the transmission deck 47mm long - a test fit of the parts showed a lot better fit. I also overlaid the rear of the cockpit bulkhead with some 5thou sheet.

IMG_5553.avifIMG_5557.avifIMG_5554.avif

I will do a lot more thinking before I start gluing parts on & once I'm happy with how things look will paint the interior of the transmission bay - referring to various Wessex photos seems to show it as an interior green. 

Chris

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Seeing these Hendie parts come together, makes my attempts at detailing a little sad! I'm definitely going to have to pull finger and order some.

Colin the Wessex nut.

17 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Seeing these Hendie parts come together, makes my attempts at detailing a little sad! I'm definitely going to have to pull finger and order some.

Colin the Wessex nut.

Dunno about that Colin, I was inspired by your work so far on the Green Parrot & will try & replicate your window overlay technique - there is no doubt about the quality of @hendies Wessex upgrade parts - just hope I can do them justice.

Chris

Just now, CJP said:

Dunno about that Colin, I was inspired by your work so far on the Green Parrot & will try & replicate your window overlay technique - there is no doubt about the quality of @hendies Wessex upgrade parts - just hope I can do them justice.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Take your time it you do the window overlay, cut a full piece of plasticard, allow plenty of time for the solvent to set and only then cut out the window. They do make a difference, There was also a Wessex STGB a couple of years back, there might be some tips from Alan and I in there that could be useful.

Colin

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, heloman1 said:

Thanks Chris. Take your time it you do the window overlay, cut a full piece of plasticard, allow plenty of time for the solvent to set and only then cut out the window. They do make a difference, There was also a Wessex STGB a couple of years back, there might be some tips from Alan and I in there that could be useful.

Colin

Ok thanks Colin I will try & find that Wessex STGB.

28 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Colin

Found the Wessex STGB back in 2017 - Photobucket seems to have devoured some of the photos unfortunately but still plenty left.

Chris

16 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Those parts look fantastic,  looking forward to seeing it all installed and painted. , nice job sorting out the bay si far.

Chris

They are very nice Chris & well worth getting.

Chris

• Like 1

It's looking great so far Chris.

A couple of small pointers that may hopefully help you out.   In the shot above you have the U frame reversed - the small gauge should be on the port side.  Those little supports stubs at the top of the frame should be facing the rear of the aircraft and hidden from view

IMG-5546.avif

The frame should actually fit further back under the italeri skin section.  If you have access to the 4+ book it has a couple of useful shots of that area.  If I get a chance I'll try and upload a shot of that section.

The U frame is one of those parts whose fit is going to change depending upon how the user assembles the kit. In mine I had a 1.5 - 2mm gap each side of the trans deck floor and the fuselage sides which I ended up filling with plasticard. 

How does it all look when you mate up the fuselage halves?  The frame should be flexible enough to meet up with the side walls, and If need be, you could remove a small section from the center of the U Frame at the top if there are any fit issues on the width.

Feel free to hack a section off the rear of the cooling fan to let it sit further back. 

Here's one shot showing how the frame is recessed back in the housing, and the small gauge mounted on the frame.

20240211-100747.jpg

Another showing the general layout

20240211-100840.jpg

I wish I had spotted that shot before as the cooling fan is a lot further back than I thought.  Mea culpa.

Still, it should be an easy job just to remove material at the back end of the fan to fit it sitting further back. 

Will you be doing the plumbing?  😁

• Like 4

4 hours ago, hendie said:

Here's one shot showing how the frame is recessed back in the housing, and the small gauge mounted on the frame.

20240211-100747.jpg

Another showing the general layout

20240211-100840.jpg

I wish I had spotted that shot before as the cooling fan is a lot further back than I thought.  Mea culpa.

Still, it should be an easy job just to remove material at the back end of the fan to fit it sitting further back. 

Will you be doing the plumbing?  😁

Ok thanks for that information Alan - I will see if I can spend some time correcting that hoop position today & post it here.

Plumbing?- I have toyed with the idea of adding the hydraulic hoses from lead wire but not so sold on all of those fine wires/pipes but who knows?:unsure:

I just had an idea to make a hole in the rear bulkhead for the cooling fan outlet to fit through - this would give a little more fore/aft wiggle room for the fan - tba

Chris

• Like 4