RAN WESSEX HAS31B

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks rather nice Chris, great work,  certainly will look impressive when complete.

Chris

Thanks Chris -I edited my last post & added a couple more photos of work I did today.

Chris

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi all - I have more or less completed the bulk of the work detailing the transmission bay, I added some more pipework to the starboard side of the bay & a metal casting from the spares box that looked like some sort of valve block - some insulation stripped of its wire was used to represent a couple of hoses from the front of the fan - I did find some photos of the starboard side of the bay in this build -

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235046186-flying-a-council-house-from-the-upstairs-loo/ 

if you look around pages 15,16 &17 there are some detail photos - one thing I found when searching for transmission bay photos is that the hoses & pipework all seemed to differ in small details from one version of the Wessex to the next. My model is therefore just generally representative of the Wessex transmission bay that hopefully complements @hendies fine detail set.

IMG_5729.avifIMG_5732.avifIMG_5733.avif

I took the plunge & decided it was time to fix the MRGB/Rotor Brake & fan in position permanently so a few drops of CA did the job after one final alignment check with the grill frame in position to make sure the rotor head was aligned. I found it easier to get this frame on by easing it over the corner that does not have the three cutouts first.

I also fitted the starboard oil filter in place even though it won't be visible on my model.

IMG_5737.avifIMG_5739.avifIMG_5735.avif

I will leave the transmission bay for now & will probably see if I can make some troop seats for the main cabin - I've already checked out what @hendie did making them on the build on the following link. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234971153-wessex-hc2-a-dauphins-stablemate-520-days-later-its-finished-why-yes-it-is-indeed/

An alternative may be to pinch them out of the Airfix Sea King kit in my stash.

Once I have them sorted I will be close to being able to close up the fuselage halves.

Chris

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 10

Great work there Chris, looks like I could get my hands dirty doing some 1:1 maintenance. Alans upgrade  parts are just prefect.

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I think I'll dismantle my feeble efforts now after seeing your little marvel.

Brilliant stuff Chris 

Looks ok as long as you don't get closer to the model than a foot away - anyway you set a high bench mark with your HMS Antrim Wessex & in 1/72!

Chris

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Great work there Chris, looks like I could get my hands dirty doing some 1:1 maintenance. Alans upgrade  parts are just prefect.

Colin

Your comment made me feel chuffed coming from an ex maintainer! - Alans parts are brilliant & he is thinking of doing pilots seats plus maybe a console.

Chris

Edited by CJP
  • Thanks 1

I am loving how this is coming together.

I think that you have struck the balance exactly right by adding wiring/pipe work to make it look realistic whilst not getting too bogged down by the fact that different reference material gives different versions of the real thing.

It certainly looks great to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She looks really busy around the engine bay Chris.

A nice idea to get some seats in for the troops mate, something to work on elsewhere.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlxBNE said:

I am loving how this is coming together.

I think that you have struck the balance exactly right by adding wiring/pipe work to make it look realistic whilst not getting too bogged down by the fact that different reference material gives different versions of the real thing.

It certainly looks great to me.

Thanks Alex I appreciate your opinion on it.

21 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

She looks really busy around the engine bay Chris.

A nice idea to get some seats in for the troops mate, something to work on elsewhere.

Simon.

Cheers Simon thank you

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CJP said:

Your comment made me feel chuffed coming from an ex maintainer! - Alans parts are brilliant & he is thinking of doing pilots seats plus maybe a console.

Chris

My pleasure.

I think without Alan, we would have had to stick with the kit parts and refining them. I've modified six sets so far! I'm still trying to find a way to get my hands one some of his goodies. 

Colin

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

My pleasure.

I think without Alan, we would have had to stick with the kit parts and refining them. I've modified six sets so far! I'm still trying to find a way to get my hands one some of his goodies. 

Colin

I remember you mentioned previously about issues with your postal system ln South Africa - it's a shame because I had my parts within two weeks of ordering them from Alan & the postage was only around $20 USD.

Chris

Posted (edited)

Hi all

Today I set out to see if I could scratch build a set of troop seats for the port side of the fuselage - the sizes were all guesstimated from photos & dimensions of the cabin interior.

I decided to try using Albion Alloys 0.8mm tube and the matching set of their Connecto range.

IMG_5742.avifIMG_5745.avifIMG_5749.avif

The tubes were cut to length & the cross shaped connecto were pushed into the tubes & all carefully pinned to a piece of 3ply to hold it all in place for soldering. This was quite a fiddly process but it all seemed to work ok.

The frame was then carefully covered with strips of an adhesive aluminium tape - the top rail is not directly connected to the bottom seat frame so the tape was fed from the front of the seat frame up over the top rail where it was stuck to it and was then fed down & under the seat - the front & rear sides of the tape were pressed together & stuck quite firmly.

IMG-5751.avifIMG_5752.avifIMG_5755.avif

I did not want to push my luck soldering the diagonal braces on the seat legs so added them from sprue glued with CA

Gave the seat covering a quick undercoat with some blue grey acrylic to see how it was looking - I did have some seat belts that might suit these troop seats but can't remember where I put them (yet).

I popped the seats in the port fuselage half to see how they fit & they sort of look ok - view of them will be pretty limited once the halves are closed up though.

IMG_5756.avifIMG-5759.avif

that's it for now

Chris

Edited by CJP
photo
  • Like 7

Waow waow waow !!

Now that's an impressive build Chris !!

Congratulations Sir !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Waow waow waow !!

Now that's an impressive build Chris !!

Congratulations Sir !!

Sincerely.

CC

Very kind of you CC - thank you - a long way to go yet!

Chris

• Like 1

nice job on the seats Chris.   The brass rod and aluminum tape method is real fiddly, and quite frankly and real pita, but the effect once painted is worth it.

• Thanks 1

Chris I think you will have to construct seats for me mate, they are superb

And to be fair the colour you've concocted is a dead ringer for well used blue canvas seating

👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hendie said:

nice job on the seats Chris.   The brass rod and aluminum tape method is real fiddly, and quite frankly and real pita, but the effect once painted is worth it.

Thanks Alan  - I must say I cribbed a lot from your Wessex build

Chris

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2024 at 3:53 AM, perdu said:

Chris I think you will have to construct seats for me mate, they are superb

And to be fair the colour you've concocted is a dead ringer for well used blue canvas seating

👍

Thanks Bill - I randomly grabbed a bottle of XF18 Tamiya blue so thats good to hear it looks used - sometimes you can fluke it.

Chris

On 3/8/2024 at 5:57 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Wow great work on the upstairs and those Seats, looks absolutely awesome Chris. Fantastic stuff.

Chris

Cheers Chris thank you

Chris

Edited by CJP
Text
  • Like 2

Hi - I found two things I had completely overlooked - firstly I did not model the prominent strapping at the top of the seat back where they attach to the top rail - I had a think about how to remedy this & came up with the idea of making a square punch from Albion Alloys square brass tubes. The end of the tube was sharpened with a file & emery paper - the seat was then placed on the end grain of a block of wood & with the punch lined up I gave it a few taps with a light hammer. I was a bit apprehensive, but the seat came through it without too much damage.

The photo below shows the finished seat & the home-made punch in front. I will have to make seat belts from tape & plastic strip to complete the job.

IMG_5780.avifIMG_5785.avif

The other thing I forgot was to install the two stays from the MRGB into the rear of the transmission bay - I decided to make these from plastic rod as the brass tube was too inflexible & it was fiddly to get them in place.

IMG_5783.avifIMG_5784.avif

The next job I think will be looking at how to install the cabin windows & then the outside window surrounds - I plan to do these with thin plastic sheet like @heloman1 did on his Green Parrot WIP

Chris

• Like 8

Congrats Chris !!

That look realistic, I run away from my idea to build a Wessex....:worthy:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1

I was going to mention the seat straps but wasn't sure if the RAN versions were different.

For seat belts, I've found the best material is the paper backed metal foil inside ciggy packets. The paper makes it easy to paint and gives the foil strength while the foil helps hold the shape.  This is from my Whirlwind build a while back

P7220006.jpg

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, hendie said:

I was going to mention the seat straps but wasn't sure if the RAN versions were different.

For seat belts, I've found the best material is the paper backed metal foil inside ciggy packets. The paper makes it easy to paint and gives the foil strength while the foil helps hold the shape.  This is from my Whirlwind build a while back

P7220006.jpg

Ok thanks Alan - I don't know anyone who smokes anymore but I saw some similar foil somewhere recently, but it had no paper backing - maybe wrappers on a kind of chocolate? - your belts look very neat in the Whirlwind - I found a French maker a year or so ago called L'Arsenal who made a nice seat belt etch of buckles - not sure if still available

Chris

• Like 3