Academy Ventura, 459SQN RAAF MTO ** Finished **

I am joining with the Academy Ventura to be finished as a RAAF 459SQN aircraft which operated in the Mediterranean Theatre of Operations in 1943.

My kit came from a club swap meet without instructions or decals, so I found some replacement instructions on Scalemates.

The Red Roo conversion includes decals for the aircraft I am building. The conversion also includes a new cockpit, replacement turret mount, replacement intakes and desert filters and radar antenna.

53447613914_8814ea8479_b.jpg

• Like 24

Welcome, Ray :) I think this might be the first Ventura in the GB, but I'm starting to lose track a little as we've almost reached the 100 build mark. I really like the octopus painted around the turret on the box art, I've not seen that before. I'm sure the conversion (and your skill) will make this a really good build

James

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 81-er said:

Welcome, Ray :) I think this might be the first Ventura in the GB, but I'm starting to lose track a little as we've almost reached the 100 build mark. I really like the octopus painted around the turret on the box art, I've not seen that before. I'm sure the conversion (and your skill) will make this a really good build

James

Of the kits in my stash I picked this one as I noticed no one else had picked the subject. Now watch for the flurry of Ventura builds!

• Like 1

On 07/01/2024 at 17:29, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Of the kits in my stash I picked this one as I noticed no one else had picked the subject. Now watch for the flurry of Ventura builds!

Well, I have been on the hunt for one on eBay! 🤣 Great subject, will watch with interest. 👍

• Like 1

So off we go, the RR instructions would have you start with modifying the engine intakes and exhaust shrouds. After reading the instructions I was a bit confused and need to re-read and think about the process. I decided to have a crack at the cockpit. You get replacement seats for pilot and navigator and an additional radio operators seat. This means some scratch building to make a compartment for the seat! I removed the cockpit 'door'' and added card behind it to make a floor and second bulkhead. There is a good picture of the compartment in the RR instructions. The image of the competed cockpit with seats installed shows seat framing which is not supplied. I think the image maybe of the Revell 1/48 kit, so I just left some pour block on the bottom of the seats to get them up off the floor.

Here is the cockpit minus door with seats and replacement instrument panel installed

53452713151_f2f5b985a2_b.jpg

After some cutting and gluing the rear compartment was completed. I added a table and some radio boxes to busy it up a bit not that it will be seen once the fuselage is closed up.

53453128460_9ff6d8b2f1_b.jpg

53453027059_7b449a2b23_b.jpg

One thing with the radio op's seat was it had no back, the instructions show a picture of the included parts in the set but the radio op seat is not shown. So I am not sure if it has a back or not? Looking at the image of the compartment supplied in the instructions I decided there was one and added what I thought it might look like.

Finally for this update was assembling the replacement turret ring, it has a lot more detail and depth of that supplied in the kit. I need to cut the existing plastic inside the existing ring away in due course.

53452713156_8ce58e0a31_b.jpg

• Like 15

As Craig said, that's a great start. The RedRoo parts are a significant improvement over the kit bits

James

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Well after a great start I stuffed the intake replacement, I did not read the instructions properly before removing the kit parts. SO too much came off. It is not a total loss just some extra work to restore the rear ends of the intakes.

On a brighter note I managed to get to the shed just now to do some painting.  The kit instructions are vague ( or non existent) for some colours so some research is required.

On 1/10/2024 at 7:51 PM, Andwil said:

The radio room looks great.  How about a morse key…..:wicked:

AW

Ahhh.... NO! :)

It is buttoned up now and am tackling the balls up I made of the engine mods.

Here is the next update,

Interior painted

53459008613_159c58c579_b.jpg

Engine mods started which I initially stuffed up

53459289695_4279c06542_b.jpg

53458878066_a2dbdff5dc_b.jpg

53457955097_a5d73391ec_b.jpg

Fuselage together as well

53459289665_dc9c0a5cbc_b.jpg

53459189904_db3dd2e8aa_b.jpg

Still sorting out the other engine intake at this stage

• Like 17

It's coming along well, Ray. Hopefully it won't be too much work to fix the engine mods?

James

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 81-er said:

It's coming along well, Ray. Hopefully it won't be too much work to fix the engine mods?

James

5 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Sure you'll get those mods set to rights!

I am slowly sorting them, lots of putty, sanding, putty, sanding and filing.

I think I have the starboard engine pretty much sorted, I now need to turn my attention to the other side.

• Like 2

The engines are done, though one is a little honky.  Major assembly complete and the model has been primes with EDSG which is one of the camo colours.  Some seams need attention

53467851845_4a4ef7d696_b.jpg

53467566398_539667b861_b.jpg

• Like 9

You're really moving fast with this one, Ray. It doesn't look like it's going to take much work to sort those seams out

James

• Like 1

So onto the paint stage and some masking.

I started with the white on the lower fuselage

53473403430_c21f3b7f12_b.jpg

Which was partially mask to do the top side

53473403435_3760b47b0f_b.jpg

Extra Dark Sea grey and Slate Grey on

53473403390_0945dfe8e2_b.jpg

More masking and the de-icing boots are done

53472078812_e7be9388e6_b.jpg

With most of the touch ups done it is ready for final assembly

53472078827_e570a1b56f_b.jpg

53473125823_846faefc24_b.jpg

• Like 12