Braniff's Boeing 727-100 from Authentic Airlines' 1/144 scale kit

Einar

Braniff International Airways was an American airline founded in 1928. Braniffs were in operation until 1982 and their home fields were Dallas Love Field airport and Dallas international airport in Texas. During their operations, the company flew to destinations in North and South America, and in the late 1970s also to Asia and Europe.

Perhaps the most famous feature of the airline in was that the planes in their fleet were painted in various eye catching colours. The aircraft carried such colours as beige, ochre, orange, turquoise, baby blue, medium blue, lemon yellow, In total, fifteen different liveries were used during the 1960’s . From 1978 onwards Braniff's aircraft received a new "Ultra color" scheme that called for a quiet, elegant and more sophisticated look.

My model depicts the Boeing 727-100 in Braniff's red "Flying Colors" scheme. The model was built from a very detailed Authentic Airlines' 1/144 scale resin kit with F-DCAL markings and AA's cabin and cockpit decals. The red color is from Tamiya's TS-8 rattle can and the ochre underside from Revell's enamel number 88. The thin white demarcation line between the red and ochre areas was made by using a Fantasy Printshop 0,5 mm white stripe decal.

Building the kit was in itself straightforward and without any problems. The most time consuming part was the masking and painting of the different coloured areas. As to the metal parts I airbrushed them with Vallejo's acrylics and AMMO's A.MIG-2300 aluminium paint. Since the ochre paint is matt, I coated it with Humbrol's clear gloss varnish.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful!  727-100?  Braniff?  Authentic Airliners?  Combine the three and what's not to like!

Thank you🙏

Einar 

2 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Beautiful 727,i've got Corgi's 707 and i'd love the skill to make the kits and have them all...

Thanks Vince!

Einar 

Lovely 727 and a beautifully executed colour scheme. Thanks for sharing.

I'm lucky enough to catch regular glimpses of the 2 Excel Aviation oil reponse 727s as they fly over my house leaving three trails of dark smoke in their wake.

• Thanks 1

Lovely model Einar, beautiful paint and decalling - top job!

I have these decals in stock and intended to do the same scheme on an Airfix 721 I had in stock - however when I opened the box one of the fuselage halfs had warped through about 75 degrees and no amount of hot water, brute force or ignorance could get it back in shape so in the bin it went!

Still, it would never have turned out as nice as yours! :)

Keith

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Airbusboy said:

Lovely 727 and a beautifully executed colour scheme. Thanks for sharing.

I'm lucky enough to catch regular glimpses of the 2 Excel Aviation oil reponse 727s as they fly over my house leaving three trails of dark smoke in their wake.

Thank you, and yes I also remember the smokey and noisy 727's.of the 1960's

Cheers,

Einar

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely model Einar, beautiful paint and decalling - top job!

I have these decals in stock and intended to do the same scheme on an Airfix 721 I had in stock - however when I opened the box one of the fuselage halfs had warped through about 75 degrees and no amount of hot water, brute force or ignorance could get it back in shape so in the bin it went!

Still, it would never have turned out as nice as yours! :)

Keith

Thanks Keath. and sorry for your bad experience with the Airfix 727 kit☹️ I can warmly recommend the Authentic Airliners 727's if you still want to have a try.

Cheers,

Matti 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Just wonderful Einar,

You have achieved a superb finish to this colourful scheme. Your masking and paintwork is much admired.

Vincent

Thank you Vincent

Einar

Hi Matti,

Well that will definitely brighten up your shelf!

Superb job!

I've not built an Authentic Airliners -100 but I have plenty of -200s and they are gorgeous models simply the best 727 kits around.

I'm surprised you had to supply your own white pinstripe don't F-dcal include it?

Cheers,

Ian

13 hours ago, Turbofan said:

I'm surprised you had to supply your own white pinstripe don't F-dcal include it?

Cheers,

Ian

Most of the F-dcal ranger are laser printed Ian so that may be the reason.

Must agree that these are the best 727 kits out there.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

Another very fine build Einar.

The first time I see one of those built.

I always struggled with the veeery old Airfix and Revell -100s

Always nice to see a 727,I surely miss them.

It was always a pleasure seeing and hearing them on our airports back in the days.

Thanks for sharing

Alex

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stringbag said:

Most of the F-dcal ranger are laser printed Ian so that may be the reason.

Must agree that these are the best 727 kits out there.

Chris.

Thanks Ian and Chris!

Einar 

3 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

Another very fine build Einar.

The first time I see one of those built.

I always struggled with the veeery old Airfix and Revell -100s

Always nice to see a 727,I surely miss them.

It was always a pleasure seeing and hearing them on our airports back in the days.

Thanks for sharing

Alex

Thank you Alex,

I really think the AA Boeing 727-100 is the best kit available of the old threeholer😄. She's one of my favourite airliners.

Einar 

Wow, your aircraft model kit looks absolutely incredible! You've captured the essence and beauty of this eye-catching livery perfectly. It's clear you've put a lot of care and passion into this build. Great job!

I love the Authentic Airliner 727 offering as well. I've build an Air Holland version of the 727-200 years ago. The best kit on the market for sure.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Malair said:

Wow, your aircraft model kit looks absolutely incredible! You've captured the essence and beauty of this eye-catching livery perfectly. It's clear you've put a lot of care and passion into this build. Great job!

I love the Authentic Airliner 727 offering as well. I've build an Air Holland version of the 727-200 years ago. The best kit on the market for sure.

Thank you very much for your positive comments!

Einar