200 years of railways 1825-2025 Confirmed for 2025, dates under discussion

Mjwomack

14 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Bit of a blunder here because I thought this was reboxed by Airfix, but it was actually the 'Brewery Shunter'. I was intrigued that the box lid din't fit on properly but getting home for detailed examination shows two kits in the box which explains that.

Now I've solved my own dilemma with a Christmas quiz for the British enthusiasts, I've got 2* 08, so in what circumstance does

08+08=13🤷‍♀️

I think it can be done in model form though I never saw it in real life!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Just a wild guess here. Are we talking Beyer Garrett?

John.

Ooh are lateral, I can see where you're going but no more modern than that. TOPS numbering system and Sheffield are the next 2 clues!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

If we accept that I am most unlikely to complete it within a four month timescale,

It's the railways, I'll be very surprised if more than 13/15 of the models arrive on time!

12 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Is it time to raise the question as to if this can qualify as a historical GB for 2025?

You know that idea that if a rumour is repeated often enough it becomes accepted?

Well, I'm sure I heard that this is going to be one of the 2025 historical GBs! It'll make a change from all the blowing things up ones. 2025 year of the Peaceniks!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

I would like to buy a ticket for this ride.

Looking at the stash, it’s a choice between a Miniart Tram or a HobbyBoss Railgun.

In the words of Curtis Mayfield (and numerous covers), 'you don't need no ticket to ride this train.

Obviously both of them is one solution and they'd make an interesting pairing. There again in the unlikely case that you're not a member of the build 'em al club, the tram could go in the Peaceniks GB because as far as I know nobody has ever weaponised one (at this point 100 people prove me wrong)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

08+08=13🤷‍♀️

It's one of these

ab8a4fdac047971c53e26b9b1c0dab74.jpg

Like @Mjwomack I never saw one. Looking at the kit it seems that all the footplate boxes would be correct for building a 13 from two 08 kits

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Looking at the kit it seems that all the footplate boxes

And we have a winner! Yep,, a class 13 was 2 08 permanently coupled together. Indeed the cab of the 'slave' was removed; Im not too clear on the exact details of how they were coupled what was left of the front cab etc. But, to quote the old advert, 'I know a man who can'. Actually I can think of quite a few who can proved more than enough details, probably by return!!!

How about

https://niumodels.co.uk/diesel-loco-kits

or

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/blogs/entry/10812-the-master-and-the-slave-creating-a-br-class-13-pt1/

although the kit involved in this conversion is out of production. I cannot say if either kit would work on the Kitmaster model.

• Thanks 1

On 15/12/2023 at 21:43, Paul821 said:

Is it time to raise the question as to if this can qualify as a historical GB for 2025?

On 16/12/2023 at 10:27, Mjwomack said:

You know that idea that if a rumour is repeated often enough it becomes accepted?

Well, I'm sure I heard that this is going to be one of the 2025 historical GBs! It'll make a change from all the blowing things up ones. 2025 year of the Peaceniks!

I've given it some careful thought and I think the answer should be yes.

The issue now is the start and finish dates.  The Stockton and Darlington Railway opened on 27 September 1825.  That would take the GB through to 18 Jan 2026.

• Thanks 5

• Mjwomack changed the title to 200 years of railways 1825-2025 Confirmed for 2025, dates under discussion
41 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Blimey, my calendar is starting to fill up for 2025 and it's not ever 2024 yet!

It must be ten years or more that I last did a railway model. I made a copy of the boxtop of a very early Airfix Giftset, trying to preproduce the lovely warm colours of the box.

Here's the model part done. The finished model didn't survive an unplanned fall from my loft while moving out of my old place. I feel the need to have another go at completing the project.

Parts accumulation can get off to a lazy start now. By the time the GB rolls around I should have enough to get cracking again.

station-012.jpg

oakhamgoodstrain.jpg

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The Stockton and Darlington Railway opened on 27 September 1825.

It could have all gone a different way, originally they wanted to have a canal built to move the coal.

After they received the estimate to dig out the canal between Stockton and Darlington they said "How ******* much!"  Let's try one of those new fangled rail lines.

And so it all began.  :idea:

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The issue now is the start and finish dates.  The Stockton and Darlington Railway opened on 27 September 1825.  That would take the GB through to 18 Jan 2026.

All hail his benign eminence @Enzo the Magnificent! For all sorts of reasons I'm very happy to see this as an 'approved' GB', even if I guess that makes me, and possibly @Paul821 committed as co-hosts.

As for the dates, personally I don't mind, though it will deny me my usual plan of sliding effortlessly across to KUTA so I'd best make this one build that runs on time!!

I like the historic selection of the dates, and am awe that you're thinking so far ahed. Will it lead to a bunching of KUTA, Blitzbuild and a GB? But I know that previously people have commented about the lack of 'structured' GBs at the end of the year so this a chance for the railways to win critics over!!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Blimey, my calendar is starting to fill up for 2025 and it's not ever 2024 yet!

It must be ten years or more that I last did a railway model. I made a copy of the boxtop of a very early Airfix Giftset, trying to preproduce the lovely warm colours of the box.

Here's the model part done. The finished model didn't survive an unplanned fall from my loft while moving out of my old place. I feel the need to have another go at completing the project.

Parts accumulation can get off to a lazy start now. By the time the GB rolls around I should have enough to get cracking again.

station-012.jpg

oakhamgoodstrain.jpg

This is amazing! And the good news is most of those kits are still knocking around as Dapol kits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

After they received the estimate to dig out the canal between Stockton and Darlington they said "How ******* much!"  Let's try one of those new fangled rail lines.

Right, then a canal GB anyone? Just asking!!!

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

@Mjwomack I have nothing in the diary for late 2025, so am happy to be you're cost host on this GB. If you are Sir Topham Hatt I don't know what that makes me.

Only for American viewers! In this country I'm the Fat Controller! I never knew the real name of the Liverpool St traction controller, but he always answered to Metal Mickey!!!

On 12/16/2023 at 3:26 PM, Paul821 said:

It's one of these

ab8a4fdac047971c53e26b9b1c0dab74.jpg

Like @Mjwomack I never saw one. Looking at the kit it seems that all the footplate boxes would be correct for building a 13 from two 08 kits

Same answer as I was going to give.   I also never saw one. Built for a specific job, with known limitations - and a lot that I will never understand.

That orange plug into the back of the slave unit, is the multiple operating pipe for the engine. 

But I have enjoyed two rides behind this similar concept at Severn Valley Railway.  Actually an 08 and 09 pair.

08-09-Pair.jpg

Paired nose to nose, to give the leading driver a better view.   

These are NOT multiple operating, so there is a driver in the trailing cab, driving that one.  Probably receiving signal information from the front driver on a two-way radio.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Paired nose to nose, to give the leading driver a better view.   

Which is also the best way to operate Class 20's ka EE type 2, aka Choppers.

1 hour ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

These are NOT multiple operating, so there is a driver in the trailing cab, driving that one

Reaching deep into the recess of my short spell as a mixed traffic planner on the southern, I think that is in tandem- radios? How very modern- back then they used to do it by horn codes to the annoyance of the neighbours and so it was generally avoided.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 9:19 PM, Paul821 said:

How about

https://niumodels.co.uk/diesel-loco-kits

or

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/blogs/entry/10812-the-master-and-the-slave-creating-a-br-class-13-pt1/

although the kit involved in this conversion is out of production. I cannot say if either kit would work on the Kitmaster model.

I'm so easily led! niumodels kit ordered, and being printed this very night according to the friendly Al there- seems Santa is putting in a double shift!

• Like 2

Brilliant! 
Absolutely brilliant decision @Enzo the Magnificent  👍👍👍

I think railways are under-represented in the world of static scale modelling and this might help show just how many great subjects there are in this very important category.

I’m not sure that I will be able to participate in this because my building schedule is packed so don’t put my name down but I will definitely watch with great interest.

• Like 3

As wide all know, and enjoy, @Bandsaw Steve Britmodeller is a very welcoming and inclusive community so if you just want to stand and watch the trains go by, your totally welcome. Hopefully with the best part of TWO years to go, we'lll but up a decent cavalcade for you come the big event

• Like 1

On 28/12/2023 at 19:54, Mjwomack said:

I'm so easily led! niumodels kit ordered, and being printed this very night according to the friendly Al there- seems Santa is putting in a double shift!

Familiar with all three with Tinsley being just over the hill from me.

Although only three were converted, at Darlington, all three were different on the outside (placement of the various euipment boxes on the footplate) and during their time were tried in various configuratons. For a class of loco's that were dedicated to a very limited sphere of operation (hump shunting in Tinsley yard) they did wander a little, heavy maintenance @ Doncaster works  where they would run to overnight, later @ Swindon works & at least one hauled a passenger train in the Sheffield area.

Beware on that kit - from what i see on facebook it appears to be missing details in the open cab area, brake standard, cabinet in the rear corner, access doors on the main control cabin, no second jumper cable (not pipe) receptacle. Nothing that can't be rectified with a bit of scratchbuilding. Do a bit of research there's plenty of photo's online & time before the build starts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1