Australian coaster Blythe Star - 1973 - 3D print - 1/100

Good question Stuart! 

It's fragile when assembled, but once glued, it's solid enough.

But I have to tell you that I'll be more reassured when the ship is under its glass cover in its vitrine like the others, isolated from big fingers and dust.

I've finished the rigging, it's a big challenge in stretch... 3669312944.gif

The sailors have started to pause pose ..

It feels like the end of construction for this first specimen.

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-02-07-a-22-49-55.j

• Like 16

That is absolutely superb in every way, I particularly like the way you have captured the real look of a wooden deck, more of a warm grey than anything else, simply brilliant maestro :worthy:

Cheers

David

• Like 2

Tks Guys! :yes:

I couldn't find the right size Australian Merchant Navy flag in decal, which is red, as opposed to the national flag, which is blue.

Australie-AUSTMAR%20SITE.jpg

Australie-AUST%20SITE.jpg

So I'm going to do it myself, as well as the red flag indicating that the ship is carrying dangerous goods. There is also a fixed or flashing red light indicating this type of transport on the aft mast above the bridge. It is already there.

Personal picture.

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-02-08-a-20-21-22.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-02-08-a-20-36-26.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-02-08-a-20-38-19.j

• Like 6

That is nothing short of incredible, a true work of art. knowing the story of this vessel, thanks to you, has really touched me, seeing it come to life like that is just wonderful, a great tribute to those who perished in this tragedy as well as the survivors.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is worryingly good.

If I look at this too long I might even be tempted to enter the dark tech alternative reality world of 3D printing.

May the old gods of solid modelling forgive me… 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Making a 200-litre drum.

The one on the left will be used as a dustbin at the stern of the coaster.

These old oil drums were often used in this way until the 80's, either emptied directly at sea, or dockside when there was a suitable receptacle on the quayside. Another era I've known.

Nowadays, nothing is normally discharged into the sea, not even food scraps. Some is incinerated in the on-board incinerator (at sea only) when the ship is big enough to have one. There are also several large obligatory sorting garbage cans on board. 

Capture-d-e-cran-2023-11-03-a-22-29-20.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-01-12-a-23-25-57.j

71105382-1330150583825095-20852735377984

000000022.jpg

Drawing a barrel takes 10 minutes maximum on Fusion360. These generic barrels will be used for other ships.

Description

200-LITER BUNG DRUMS  

Dimensions

Overall diameter: 610 +/- 10 mm
Overall height: 860 +/- 10 mm
Volume: 217 liters
Empty bung barrel weight: 15 kg.

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-02-17-a-13-47-32.j

In 3 images.

The drawing of the necessary sketches (with experience, it's fun to reduce the sketches to a minimum), then apply a few functions:

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-02-17-a-13-35-17.j

We apply a few colors and decals for fun, from PNG image files of SHELL logos of the time and more recent ones with transparent backgrounds, retrieved online free of charge.

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-02-17-a-13-01-51.j

Fusion rendering, just for fun:

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-02-17-a-13-00-32.j

I've made good progress on the second copy, a version with no aging, no sailors, no cargo masts at sea station. 

IMG-3401.jpg

IMG-3419.jpg

IMG-3420.jpg

IMG-3421.jpg

IMG-3422.jpg

IMG-3423.jpg

IMG-3426.jpg

IMG-3428.jpg

• Like 9

20 hours ago, Iceman 29 said:

Making a 200-litre drum.

The one on the left will be used as a dustbin at the stern of the coaster.

These old oil drums were often used in this way until the 80's, either emptied directly at sea, or dockside when there was a suitable receptacle on the quayside. Another era I've known.

Nowadays, nothing is normally discharged into the sea, not even food scraps. Some is incinerated in the on-board incinerator (at sea only) when the ship is big enough to have one. There are also several large obligatory sorting garbage cans on board. 

They were still being used as garbage containers when I was last at sea in 2018, if anything the tightening up of MARPOL and the requirement to retain all garbage on board increased their use for storage of stuff that would have previously gone straight over the wall.

Whilst modifying oil drums, don't forget the other ubiquitous use of an old drum, there was always one on the poop deck or boat deck...

bbq-barbecue-barbacue-made-form-old-oil-

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iceman 29 said:

Indeed Dave, the essential thing on board.

More sophisticated, made on board. Mass cooking.

Absolutely!

I've seen many variations from the absolute basic to a double length fully automatic spit for suckling pigs (philipino crew!) but I've never seen a triple level multi chicken spit before :fool:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Roland's version is well on the way to completion.  

I'm working on the rigging, I've got one or two more details to add and that'll be it for the ship, with just the two displays to be done.

IMG-3447.jpg

IMG-3448.jpg

IMG-3449.jpg

IMG-3451.jpg

IMG-3452.jpg

• Like 9

Fantastic details and a joy to watch it all come together hear Pascal.  :worthy:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Iceman 29 said:

IMG-3448.jpg

Ooh! I love the catenary in those cables! :worthy:

So many details are so well done. What did you use for the rigging there?

• Like 1

I haven't been able to find the Australian Merchant Navy flag, which is red, as opposed to the national flag which is blue.

Australie-AUSTMAR%20SITE.jpg

Australie-AUST%20SITE.jpg

So I'm going to do it myself, as well as the red flag indicating that the ship is carrying dangerous goods. 

It's in progress, it's small but it's acceptable. It's rolled cigarette paper covering a sheet of chocolate bar aluminium (thin aluminium).

Everything will be covered with a matt varnish later.

I continue to fit the rigging.

I still have to make the hoists for the cargo masts. 

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-04-a-23-23-12.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-04-a-23-24-01.j

IMG-3457.jpg

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-04-a-23-24-35.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-04-a-23-25-20.j

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-04-a-23-34-25.j

• Like 8

I really like the sag you've got on the rigging and guardraill wires.  Not certain what "sag" is in French?

Thanks for the reminder about stretched sprue

Rob

It's often like that in real life on board. Long cables always sag due to their own weight, even with good tension applied, specially when they are horizontal..

For railing, it's also important to do this when the stanchions are removable and it's chain or nylon that is used as a guard rail. For example, on the Bismarck, where there were a lot of removable stanchions, the railing was removed in bad weather, mainly at the front of the ship, to prevent it being damaged by heavy seas. But there were also some around the turrets, so as not to interfere with the movement of the guns.
I don't do model contests but I know that these details are noted during competitions.  

The same goes for the flag halyards. It's rare that there's no wind, and I think that adds to the dynamic of the model's presentation. 

Capture-d-e-cran-2024-03-05-a-12-30-47.j

All this adds to the credibility of the model and makes it less 'schooly'.  

Railing:

D8927-EDF-9365-48-C1-B3-B3-01328-E42-BF4

Screenshot-2020-03-21-21-18-12-457.png

• Like 3