Greetings!
Inspired by an excellent build of the HAL9000 Command Console on the RPF forum by the "Doctor", I decided to build my own HAL9000 console with video and audio.  The console body is a repurposed clear acrylic shadow box frame with openings cut out for HAL, video display, and push buttons.  A 12 volt power adapter from the Memorex photo frame supplies 12 volts to all 8 green LED switches on the console.  Only the top four buttons are currently used, the remaining four buttons are reserved for additional sound modules or other purposes.  The video screen is an old Memorex 10" digital photo frame which is ideal for providing a continuous loop play of the 30 JPEG images I joined into 15 split screen displays.  The video is switched on from one of the push button switches and immediately starts playing the screen displays in continuous loop.  HAL is the Moebius kit and lens eye is a red LED with resistor that can switched on or off by one of green LED buttons (I did not use the LED provided with the Moebius kit).  Audio is provided by two 120 second recordable EZ Sound Modules modified from battery power to 5 volts.  Each sound module is activated by a separate LED push button switch on the console so there is a total of 4 minutes audio featuring HAL and Dave in conversation.  Modified USB plug in chargers provide 5 volt power to the sound modules.  The completed console can be displayed on a detachable wood base or mounted on a wall.
Question and comments always welcome.  Many thanks for having a look.
Bill

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Jeddahbill
  • Like 7

Many thanks everyone for having a look at the photos and commenting!  The HAL 9000 Command Console is now complete - having great fun pushing the buttons, listening to Dave trying to get HAL to open the pod bay doors, and watching the changing display screens.  I made an awful video on my cheap phone, but it does captures the movement of the display screens and the audio.  Trying to figure out how to post a short video here.  In the meantime, a few images of the completed build showing various display screens.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

Unfortunately,  I couldn't see your photos, but the video is very impressive!  Can I join the queue to get one?  😉

EDIT - Photo problem sorted, it was my Surfshark VPN  causing it.  It does that sometimes...

Edited by Alpha Juliet
Addendum
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2023 at 4:22 AM, Alpha Juliet said:

Unfortunately,  I couldn't see your photos, but the video is very impressive!  Can I join the queue to get one?  😉

EDIT - Photo problem sorted, it was my Surfshark VPN  causing it.  It does that sometimes...

Thanks for having a look and commenting!  

Bill

On 8/16/2023 at 1:04 PM, Neil Lambess said:

Love it

Thanks, it was a fun build and came together much easier than I anticipated at first.

On 8/17/2023 at 5:19 AM, Uncle Monty said:

This is now on my Christmas list, best gadget ever 😆

Great fun pushing the buttons and listening to HAL, especially with the lights low!

On 8/17/2023 at 6:15 AM, dnl42 said:

Outstanding!

I saw that Moebius kit, and it was oh so tempting. But your work makes it just amazing. :worthy:

Thank you!  The Moebius kit is what started this project.

On 8/17/2023 at 12:54 PM, Thom216 said:

Fantastic job. Every house needs a Hal 9000!

Yes, life is not complete without a HAL!  Many thanks!

• Like 1