Eduard L-39Z Albatros 1/72

This is the Eduard L-39 Albatros built from the Profipack boxing, which is a fairly complete offering.  A straightforward build, the only mod was to the kit seats, which have been reduced in height and width to fit the cockpit.  I added Reskit wheels and UB-16-57 rocket launchers, which are both excellent additions. The DDR scheme is from the kit, with just some Rettung (Rescue) markings from a HiDecal set.  I found it difficult to match the colours to the original camo scheme, because they look different in every single photo depending on light conditions etc!  Eventually I went with Mr Hobby H85 and H302, over Vallejo FS36375, which at least matched a photo I took of a Czech L-39 at Fairford.  This was a really nice kit to build with good shape and detailing where it counts.

PXL-20230324-130318645.jpg
PXL-20230324-130352699.jpg
PXL-20230324-130409390.jpg
PXL-20230324-130430447.jpg
PXL-20230324-130502743.jpg
PXL-20230324-130518198.jpg
PXL-20230324-130545092.jpg
PXL-20230324-130616882.jpg
PXL-20230324-130639905.jpg
PXL-20230324-130737229.jpg
PXL-20230324-130755439.jpg
PXL-20230324-130819915.jpg

• Like 42
  • Thanks 1

Lovely work!

You describe the kit as straightforward but anyone who built it knows that you don't give yourself enough credit for putting it together.

It's a far cry from a modern Eduard kit, fit on the wing/fuselage, intake and even cockpit is challenging. 

I'm with you on the colors, I tried to figure out either the Bangladeshi or Bulgarian scheme and I couldn't get it right.

It doesn't help that a number of civilian-owned L-39's are replicating military schemes but don't really get the original shades right.

Seeing yours build up makes me want to give this kit another chance. I have half a dual combo kit left to do, since the first half ended up in disaster (and in the bin)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice

1 hour ago, Sky Keg said:

I like it.  I cannot recall if I have ever seen an L-39 posted here previously.  :goodjob:

Mike

Thanks Gents!

3 hours ago, cpoud117 said:

Lovely work!

You describe the kit as straightforward but anyone who built it knows that you don't give yourself enough credit for putting it together.

It's a far cry from a modern Eduard kit, fit on the wing/fuselage, intake and even cockpit is challenging. 

I'm with you on the colors, I tried to figure out either the Bangladeshi or Bulgarian scheme and I couldn't get it right.

It doesn't help that a number of civilian-owned L-39's are replicating military schemes but don't really get the original shades right.

Seeing yours build up makes me want to give this kit another chance. I have half a dual combo kit left to do, since the first half ended up in disaster (and in the bin)

Thank you @cpoud117! I really didn't find the build that bad ... but then again I have built an ArtModel Su-25, so maybe my expectations of fit are just low 🙂 The wing/fuselage and intake joints did take a bit of work but I just took it slowly.  I hope you do give your L-39 another go.

I'm not 100% happy with the match for the camouflage colours, especially the sand/buff shade which should perhaps have a little more of a olive tinge. 

3 minutes ago, Hook said:

Lovely! I wish Eduard were to repop it.

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks @Hook, so do I!  There are certainly some really attractive schemes for the Albatros that I would like to give a go

Chris

Excellent Albatros, it looks good in the DDR camouflage. First I've heard of difficulties with this kit (now that I have recently added 5 to my stash)...... hopefully it atleast builds better than the ancient KP kit I built many years ago

• Like 1

Very nice build!  I did the weekend edition and posted it here a few years ago, but it's a lovely looking plane so I'm surprised it doesn't appear on BM often.  On mine I ended up with the pale buff/olive being too olive instead of too buff, I feel there's a business opportunity for "Mr.Warpac light olive" paint.  🤣

I agree with some of the comments others had about the kit, having come from Eduard Spits I was initially disappointed that it didn't just click together like those, but it predates the Spits by some years to when they were learning IM.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Beautiful Aero L-39 Albatros!

Thanks @GiampieroSilvestri, most kind!

10 hours ago, Hopesdaddy said:

Excellent Albatros, it looks good in the DDR camouflage. First I've heard of difficulties with this kit (now that I have recently added 5 to my stash)...... hopefully it atleast builds better than the ancient KP kit I built many years ago

Cheers @Hopesdaddy!  I'm most envious of your Albatros stash as Eduard haven't issued the kit since about 2015 (according to Scalemates) and it has become hard to find.  Definitely an easier build than the very old KP kit

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

Very nice build!  I did the weekend edition and posted it here a few years ago, but it's a lovely looking plane so I'm surprised it doesn't appear on BM often.  On mine I ended up with the pale buff/olive being too olive instead of too buff, I feel there's a business opportunity for "Mr.Warpac light olive" paint.  🤣

I agree with some of the comments others had about the kit, having come from Eduard Spits I was initially disappointed that it didn't just click together like those, but it predates the Spits by some years to when they were learning IM.

Thank you @malpaso, much appreciated.  You are right, it doesn't fall together like a modern Eduard kit but I still enjoyed it and the L-39 is a great-looking aircraft.  Interesting that you had similar problems with the buff/olive colour too ... but went further to the green end of the spectrum!  It really is an elusive shade

Chris 

• Like 1

Lovely build Chris:like:. I think it looks just right in the colours you have chosen to finish it in. I'm pawing over this very kit as I type as a possible next build. If I do it I hope it turns out as well as yours has.

Pete

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cardiff guy said:

lovely little build, well done.

1 hour ago, Pete in a shed said:

Lovely build Chris:like:. I think it looks just right in the colours you have chosen to finish it in. I'm pawing over this very kit as I type as a possible next build. If I do it I hope it turns out as well as yours has.

Pete

Thanks @cardiff guy and @Pete in a shed, much appreciated!

Chris