Republic F-84 Jet fighter series STGB Chat

55 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Merry Christmas, Andre!!!!! …. And everyone of my friends on BM! 🎄🎁

Right back at you lot! May your eggs be nogged, halls be decked and stockings filled.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 8:26 PM, cpoud117 said:

On a side note, Heller's newest box of their F-84G has some nice looking decals. Has anyone experienced Heller decals of the last 10 years or so? 

I do not have found memories of using Heller decals as a youger chap.

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/F-84.html#gallery_start

Not an ad, I just couldn't find a non-merchant website with pictures from the recent boxing contents.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Quick update:
I gave the kit a go for the decals, this was a mistake. Some are out of register, the white ink is cracked, loads of ink bleed too. I was after the stencils mostly and they are basically unusable.

I may have to rethink my F-84 plan.

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, cpoud117 said:

I was after the stencils mostly and they are basically unusable.

I may have to rethink my F-84 plan.

As I mentioned earlier, Modeldecals Sheet 50 is a good option.  The decals are a little thick by modern standards but they work well with decal softener.  I've found that these days the adhesive goes a bit milky but I wash it away with a paintbrush and use Kleer as an adhesive instead.  The sheet is cheap enough to buy just for the F-84 stencils.

• Like 3

On 24/12/2023 at 23:07, RidgeRunner said:

One to spend your Christmas money on :)

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/ref/mmp/book_mmp_f-84f.shtml

Just leafing through my copy now, I'm very impressed, lots of period photos in both colour and B&W from all users, lots of extracts from the TM (Technical Manuals), sections the genesis and history of the type, use of the aircraft by nation as well as a chapter about the FICON aircraft.  Some very attractive profiles plus some photos of the XF-91 and Thunderscreech.  Very pleased with this, recommended!

I ordered this book on Christmas Eve, it was dispatched the same day, arrived today.  Six days from France to the UK and over the Christmas period, I'd class that as exceptional service.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Wez said:

Very pleased with this, recommended!

Me too but it is a book about the detail rather than a record of operational aircraft and markings.

The only emphasised period in its service life is Suez which for me has zero interest. 

Martin

4 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Me too but it is a book about the detail rather than a record of operational aircraft and markings.

Yes, agreed, it's heavy on the technical detail which is what I'm interested in, the other stuff is much more a top level overview.

• Like 1

Sign me up, please.  I'm going to challenge myself this year by doing multiple GBs to try and maintain my modeling attention span (yeah right 😆).  This, the Navy GB and the Stuart GB are spaced out well enough that I should be able to tackle all three.

This will also be a little out of my comfort zone since my main interest in modeling subjects is WWII, but my two outlier soft spots are for pre-war yellow wing aircraft and 1950s jets.  I've been looking to add a Revell or Pro-Modeler F-84 to the stash, so this seems like a good reason to get one!.

Edited by Matt B
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matt B said:

Sign me up, please.  I'm going to challenge myself this year by doing multiple GBs to try and maintain my modeling attention span (yeah right 😆).  This, the Navy GB and the Stuart GB are spaced out well enough that I should be able to tackle all three.

This will also be a little out of my comfort zone since my main interest in modeling subjects is WWII, but my two outlier soft spots are for pre-war yellow wing aircraft and 1950s jets.  I've been looking to add a Monogram or Pro-Modeler F-84 to the stash, so this seems like a good reason to get one!.

Welcome along Matt, I hope you'll enjoy the experience and join in with many more GBs.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wez said:

@stevej60 good choice for the GB, although you might want to contemplate one of these as the Kinetic kit (which the Italeri kit is), has a round rather than oval intake.

Nice job with your Airfix F-84F :thumbsup2:

Thanks for that Wez well worth considering.

• Like 1

I'll be building the Tamiya kit, actually maybe two Tamiya kits.  I have two.  I also have a fair amount of aftermarket decals I can use.  I'd like to build them side-by-side...is that allowed?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

I'll be building the Tamiya kit, actually maybe two Tamiya kits.  I have two.  I also have a fair amount of aftermarket decals I can use.  I'd like to build them side-by-side...is that allowed?  

John,

As it's two versions of the same kit I really don't see why not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2024 at 9:04 PM, stevej60 said:

Ready to go after raiding my eldest's stash!

On 1/6/2024 at 9:31 PM, stevej60 said:

Hopefully I can do the kit justice ,my past attempt was Airfix's oldie which I loved.

huhh... a Diavoli Rossi F-84F would be great fun for me as well..... next to the Yugoslavian G model ....

thanks for the inspiration!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, jovapad said:

I am in also, continuing my Yugoslav theme - Yugo F-84G

Interesting subject, welcome along...

Seems like Jugoslovenske Ratno vazduhoplovstvo i protivazdušna odbrana is the superpopular subject for modelling lovce-bombardere F-84G this year!

I'll be making one as well :)

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 4

Since the start is near, I can confirm I'll join the fun! 

My last purchase of 2023 just arrived in the shape of a Special Hobby Thunderstreak but I also have a Tamiya Thunderjet and a Sword Thunderflash in the stash.

Yet to decide what to build but in any case it will be an Italian machine.. must say however that a couple USAF options are tempting..

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Yet to decide what to build but in any case it will be an Italian machine..

You can always construct tre macchine italiane! :)

Edited by Dennis_C