N.A. F-86 Sabre/Fury Single Type Group Build - 24 Aug to 24 Nov 2024

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It is and sadly had to walk away from one about 3 months ago as SWMBO said no. 

Sorry to hear that, Dennis, it's so frustrating when kits are priced so ridiculously - hope you manage to find one!

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi all,

Having got my Luftwaffe Sabre 6 sorted out, I have another question :)

How difficult/easy would it be to build an RF-86F-30 in 1/48? I know Hasegawa released a boxing with the camera fit mods cast in resin, but that seems rarer than hen's teeth :D

The cheek bulges and lens fairings look relatively straightforward to scratch build, but are there any drawings out there?

TIA!

Cheers, 

Mark 

Model Art did some nice drawings and I think Koku Fan have too. I'll have a look. Bear in mind too that RF-86Fs came in two versions: Ashtray with no cheek bulges and Haymaker with the bulges. Ashtray Sabres mounted a single camera laterally with just one camera window offset on the fuselage underside. Might be easier to do, though schemes are more limited, with (IIRC) 4 or 6 Ashtray conversions done in total (all USAF). The Haymakers benefit from being used by the USAF as well as Japan, Taiwan and the Republic of Korea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the Model Art plan. I'm sure I have cross-sections somewhere too.

img552

For the Ashtray RF-86F, delete the cheek bulges and the central lower camera fairing. The lateral camera shot through a window on the starboard/right side so the port/left side lower fairing has no window. There were actually five USAF-converted Ashtray RF-86Fs, 26 USAF-converted Haymaker RF-86Fs and a further 18 RF-86F conversions done for the Japanese Air Defence Force.

• Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Model Art did some nice drawings and I think Koku Fan have too. I'll have a look. Bear in mind too that RF-86Fs came in two versions: Ashtray with no cheek bulges and Haymaker with the bulges. Ashtray Sabres mounted a single camera laterally with just one camera window offset on the fuselage underside. Might be easier to do, though schemes are more limited, with (IIRC) 4 or 6 Ashtray conversions done in total (all USAF). The Haymakers benefit from being used by the USAF as well as Japan, Taiwan and the Republic of Korea.

Thanks as always for the info, it's hugely appreciated.

I was thinking of the Haymaker version (i wasn't aware of the Ashtray version!) in Japanese colours, although Taiwan and RoK AFs sound like they could be interesting.

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

This is the Model Art plan. I'm sure I have cross-sections somewhere too.

img552

For the Ashtray RF-86F, delete the cheek bulges and the central lower camera fairing. The lateral camera shot through a window on the starboard/right side so the port/left side lower fairing has no window. There were actually five USAF-converted Ashtray RF-86Fs, 26 USAF-converted Haymaker RF-86Fs and a further 18 RF-86F conversions done for the Japanese Air Defence Force.

Thank you so much for this! Fabulous info, really appreciated. 

In the absence of Hasegawa kits, I'd say that the reconnaissance conversion would be perfect subject matter for an AM set.

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Courageous said:

You might find my build useful:

Stuart

Thanks, Stuart, I've had a look at your build and what a beauty! I've bookmarked the thread for reference, thank you.

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We shall see how the other group builds I plan to take part in this year shake out, but I think I''m going to be down for this one as well.  I have a ProModeler F-86D in the stash that needs a reason to be built.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Matt B said:

We shall see how the other group builds I plan to take part in this year shake out, but I think I''m going to be down for this one as well.  I have a ProModeler F-86D in the stash that needs a reason to be built.

Welcome aboard Ive added you to the list as interested there is no commitment. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 10:31 PM, RidgeRunner said:

If all goes okay I will be contributing a F-86H in the modelling god’s favourite scale :)

That will be worth seeing, although having built the SH kit myself, I'm not convinced with (nor entirely happy with) its look when finished. Not the best of pictures, but ..........

20180207_235016_001

To me at least, that shape isn't right.

On 1/2/2024 at 7:54 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oooh a CAC Sabre, that will be a pretty one. 

I used a Tasman conversion of an old Hasegawa offering to create this one:

20180503_092932

Roll on August!

Terry

• Like 3

Hi Terry. I agree about the SH shape and general accuracy. My belief is that by using the Ventura fuselage and canopy, together with the SH kit, I can build a reasonably accurate model. Time will tell! ;)

I, too, built that RAAF CAC machine using a Tasman donor, although I simply used the lower nose only on a Fujimi fuselage which meant I had open air brakes ;).

Martin

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

My belief is that by using the Ventura fuselage and canopy, together with the SH kit,

That sounds like a reasonable idea Martin. I'll have a look at that one!

Terry

• Like 2

Having been gifted an Italeri 1/48th scale F-86E kit and looking through the box shows the cockpit could do with some help. Sadly I'm not having any success in finding aftermarket parts to provide that help. Can any of you advise me of some etched brass/resin/3D accoutrements that are available but my searches are missing?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

This arrived today: been OOP for a while, so now a cheaper option than it was:

IMG_20240115_130814

Good kit I built one of these in 2022 and have another

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I used a Tasman conversion of an old Hasegawa offering to create this one:

20180503_092932

Roll on August!

Ooooh I like it, Its a variant of the Sabre that needs a dedicated kit as well as the Hog. I know Special Hobby has a “Hog” in 1/72. Sadly I have decals in 1/48 so would prefer it in that scale. 

47 minutes ago, Col. said:

Having been gifted an Italeri 1/48th scale F-86E kit and looking through the box shows the cockpit could do with some help. Sadly I'm not having any success in finding aftermarket parts to provide that help. Can any of you advise me of some etched brass/resin/3D accoutrements that are available but my searches are missing?

IIRC the Italeri kit is the old ESCI kit and suffers from the same caricatured features as the Matchbox F-86A and the old Hasegawa 1/72 F-86F.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sadly I have decals in 1/48 so would prefer it in that scale. 

I've been looking for one of these for years. If I ever find one, I probably couldn't afford it!

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 22.08.46

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I've been looking for one of these for years. If I ever find one, I probably couldn't afford it!

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 22.08.46

I'd save yourself the heartache: it's not very accurate in shape, a similar failing of the FJ-3/3M.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

This arrived today: been OOP for a while, so now a cheaper option than it was:

IMG_20240115_130814

Looks like a newer style Hase box, has it been reissued ? I have an older box with USAF markings but wouldn't mind adding another to the stash. Built one a while ago and enjoyed this kit a lot.

It would also be nice to see some new aftermarket decals sized for this kit, with so many units operating the D in the USAF there are plenty of potential options

• Like 1