N.A. F-86 Sabre/Fury Single Type Group Build - 24 Aug to 24 Nov 2024

Ok its probably the boredom speaking here but how about an F-86 single type group build ? Lots of variants and a large number of operators. Everything from F-86A through to the Hog. Any prototypes, and any modified aircraft would be acceptable. This includes all foreign manufactured aircraft in Canada, Japan, and Australia.  
         From @Sabrejet on the subject of Sabre’s and Fury’s.  “The FJ-4/4B should be included. One could argue that the F-86H wasn't a Sabre since it shared little commonality with earlier versions. But it's a Sabre, and the FJ-4/4B is a Fury. They share a common starting point, which in the case of the Sabre ends alphabetically with the F-86L and for the Fury, with the FJ-4F. If there was a clear break with the FJ-4/4B then I'd agree, but there's not: it shares much of its forward fuselage internal geometry, cockpit layout, seat and engine for starters. That's already more than the YF-93A (F-86C) did. And NAA also felt that it deserved to be called a Fury.”

“That link is far more clear than that from FJ-1 to FJ-2. So I suggest "Sabre and Fury".

I think to eliminate further/future confusion this will be the guide that the build will use. North American Aviation’s own listing family tree. 

TLwbaPR.jpg

Anything on this list ⬆️ will be allowed into the build. Prototypes and experimental types will be allowed, a few examples are as follows but not limited to these. 

F-86J:

Single F-86A-5-NA, 49-1069, flown with Orenda turbojet under North American model NA-167 – same designation reserved for A-models flown with the Canadian engines but project not proceeded with

YF-95A:

Prototype all-weather interceptor, two built, designation changed to YF-86D, North American model NA-164.

F-86G:

Provisional designation for F-86D variant with uprated engine and equipment changes, 406 built as F-86Ds.

F-86F(R):

F-86F-30 (52-4608) had a Rocketdyne AR2-3with 3,000–6,000 lbf (13,344.66–26,689.33 N) thrust at 35,000 ft (10,668 m), giving a top speed of M1.22 at 60,000 ft (18,288 m).

F-86F-2:

Designation for 10 aircraft modified to carry the M39 cannon in place of the M3 .50 caliber machine gun "six-pack". Four F-86E-10s (serial numbers 51-2803, 2819, 2826 and 2836) and six F-86F-1s (serial numbers 51-2855, 2861, 2867, 2868, 2884 and 2900) were production-line aircraft modified in October 1952 with enlarged and strengthened gun bays. 

TF-86F:

Two F-86F converted to two-seat training configuration with lengthened fuselage and slatted wings under North American model NA-204

I took a look through the listings of the FJ Fury’s and the only one I found was a paper project to compete with the LTV A-7 Corsair II. It was the AF-1F (NA-295) a

Proposed light-attack version with TF30 engine, competitor to the A-7; not built.

Any "Project GunVal" variants will be allowed. I think these would qualify as experimental and possibly prototype variations of existing airframes. 

Alway’s looking for a co-host ? 

1. CorsairFoxFourUncle (Host)

2. @Marklo

3. @JosephLalor

4. @Col.

5. @TEMPESTMK5

6. @Wez

7. @franky boy

8. @LorenSharp

9. @Andwil

10. @Stefan Buysse

11. @PhantomBigStu

12. @Wings unlevel

12a. @zebra

14. @cpoud117

15. @RidgeRunner 

16. @Rabbit Leader 

17. @bianfuxia

18. @stevej60

19. @Sabrejet

20. @81-er

21. @Terry1954

22. @jovapad

23. @Giorgio N

24. @Courageous

🏴‍☠️ @Tony Edmundson

26. @whiskey

27. @AlexB

28. @rafalbert

29. @SleeperService

30. @Petr_Kreps

31. @2996 Victor

32. @Cammer625

33. @Matt B

34. @trickyrich

35. @reini

36. @Bobby No Mac

♦️♦️please remember to vote in November ♦️♦️

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 6

• Corsairfoxfouruncle changed the title to N.A. F-86 Sabre Single Type Group Build, anyone interested ?
3 hours ago, Stefan Buysse said:

Hi,

Yes, I'd love to build an F-86.

Since the thread title says "N.A. F-86 Sabre" I'm wondering if Canadair Sabres  and the Australian built Sabres are meant to be included as well.

Either way, I'd be interested.

Cheers, Stefan.

Yes they are allowed as they're all from the same basic plans. I believe the USAF even operated Canadair built examples in Korea as well. 

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

One I won’t miss if it happens so put me down 

Welcome aboard Stu.

I'm up for this one - probably a Canadair or an Avon Sabre for me. I've had a High Planes Avon Sabre conversion sitting in the stash for a long time - bought last time I went to Telford, 13 years ago - it's time I dug it out.

• Like 1

• Corsairfoxfouruncle changed the title to N.A. F-86 Sabre Single Type Group Build, 1/2 way there !
On 3/12/2023 at 5:08 AM, Wings unlevel said:

I’m keen Dennis, it’s one of my favourites.

Gerard

Welcome to the build Gerard, its one of my favorites as well. 

On 3/12/2023 at 5:37 AM, zebra said:

I'm up for this one - probably a Canadair or an Avon Sabre for me. I've had a High Planes Avon Sabre conversion sitting in the stash for a long time - bought last time I went to Telford, 13 years ago - it's time I dug it out.

I envy you sir as I would love to do an Avon Sabre in this scheme. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Royal_Australian_Air_Force,_on_loan_to_the_Temora_Aviation_Museum,_(VH-IPN,_former_military_registration_A94-983)_CAC_Sabre_Mk.32_landing_at_Avalon_during_the_2015_Australian_International_Airshow.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

Though to be honest any scheme would be good. 

Dennis

• Like 3