1:72 Grumman Avenger Mk.II *FINISHED*

Dunny

Great job there Roger.  Really nice finish.  

Strangely I have an Avenger that is going into the paint shop this afternoon for its gloss coat & wash.  Hopefully I can get it finished before I start on the Salty Dog Group Build.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

A great New Year reveal.  Wow Roger the Avenger looks absolutely stunning so far with the Markins  wash and the Matt varnish tying it all together and toning it down beautifully.   What a beauty. 

Great work fella 

Chris

Thanks very much Chris! I am pretty pleased with the result so far, and am actually considering a permanent move to gentleman's scale!

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

Great job there Roger.  Really nice finish.  

Strangely I have an Avenger that is going into the paint shop this afternoon for its gloss coat & wash.  Hopefully I can get it finished before I start on the Salty Dog Group Build.

Happy 2023 GB - shall look forward to seeing the Avenger. Dare one ask what you are doing for the GB? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks very much Chris! I am pretty pleased with the result so far, and am actually considering a permanent move to gentleman's scale!

Wow , it will certainly give you more space and with the quality of the kits now, you get some real beauties.

Chris

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow , it will certainly give you more space and with the quality of the kits now, you get some real beauties.

Chris

That's my thought Chris - diversity of subjects and space. I'm also finding that my strength is in overall finish rather than super-detail, so a smaller scale makes some sense??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Happy 2023 GB - shall look forward to seeing the Avenger. Dare one ask what you are doing for the GB? 

And a very Happy New Year to you Roger.

So maybe somewhat predictably I am going to build the 1/48 SH Fairey Fulmar.

The aircraft I am going to try and represent is Fairey Fulmar I N1951/6A.  Which was flown by Cdr JM Bruen when he was CO of 803 NAS on HMS Formidable.  He used it to destroy a Ju88 - 21.03.41.  Ju88 Destroyed.  Nr Gaudhos Island. 

If this goes according to plan 🤣 then I am going to attempt to convert a Hasegawa Hawker Hurricane IIb to a Hawker Sea Hurricane IIb.

The aircraft I want to represent Hawker Sea Hurricane IIb JS355.  Which was flown by Cdr JM Bruen when he was CO of 800 NAS on HMS Bitter Operation Torch Nov 1942.  He used it to destroy a Dw520 - 8.11.42. DW520 Destroyed over Oran airfield.

or that's the plan anyway....  I feel a quote coming on by Napoleon re plans and first contact with the enemy...

The holding thread is set up in the GB which explains it a bit better..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

I'm not unhappy with how that looks

I should think not.

Yesterday I was wondering if this could get any better and you have raised the bar again.

What an absolutely gorgeous result.

Nice work with the masks I'll remember that when it come to the Swordfish. (Yes, it is still on the go. :blush:)

Many thanks for sharing this and for all the fine work that has inspired and impressed me throughout last year.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

or that's the plan anyway....  I feel a quote coming on by Napoleon re plans and first contact with the enemy...

Wise words indeed - whatever the case will look forward to them taking shape!

10 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I should think not.

Yesterday I was wondering if this could get any better and you have raised the bar again.

What an absolutely gorgeous result.

Nice work with the masks I'll remember that when it come to the Swordfish. (Yes, it is still on the go. :blush:)

Many thanks for sharing this and for all the fine work that has inspired and impressed me throughout last year.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks for the kind words Alistair. I was quite pleased with the results of the canopy masks - well worth a tinker! Please do not forget that as well as this build, you directly influenced my purchase of both the Sunderland and Mosquito, so thr inspiration runs both ways!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Jeepers, Roger.  I look away for a moment and she’s nearly done.  Dunno how you can do such fine work so speedily; but fine work it most undoubtedly is :D

Thanks very much Steve - carpe diem, as Uncle Caecilius used to say! 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Thanks for the kind words Alistair. I was quite pleased with the results of the canopy masks - well worth a tinker! Please do not forget that as well as this build, you directly influenced my purchase of both the Sunderland and Mosquito, so thr inspiration runs both ways!

Cheers,

Roger

I wouldn't have the first idea where to start with canopy masks.

So, if you're offering a quick tutorial then I'm in. :whistle::wicked:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

• Dunny changed the title to 1:72 Grumman Avenger Mk.II *FINISHED*

Hi All,

I managed to sneak in a little bench time ahead of friends arriving today, and managed to get this one over the line! It was mainly fiddly bits and a little weathering (although I didn't go to town). The biggest faff was fitting the turret, which eventually entailed having to remove the main canopy to get it to fit. Other than that everything was pretty straightforward, so for my first completion of 2023 (on 2nd Jan mind!), I give you this:

20230102_134954.jpg

20230102_135010.jpg

20230102_135020.jpg

20230102_135042.jpg

I've very much enjoyed this kit - although not without its foibles it is nicely detailed, and I think builds up into a pretty decent representation of an Avenger. I also love this scheme, which is both unusual and striking. Thanks to all those who have offered support along the way - thanks particularly to @Troy Smith who kindly provided an image of the aircraft. I shall create a post over in RFI for those who would like to see more photos. Also teasing my next build - it will be FAA, single engined, and it may also have a turret...

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 16

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Absolutely stunning Roger, great work on this unusual scheme .  Lovely attention to detail and a fantastic finish.

Looking forward to the next one

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - your support along the way has been much appreciated!

12 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Yes, Sir that's a cracker.

What a fantastic finish.

Off to the RFI.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks for planting the seed Alistair!

3 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

That’s fantastic Roger. What a start to the year!

Craig. 

Thanks for the kind words Craig - much appreciated!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mark.au said:

Superb result as usual, Roger.  You belted through that one, though the result more suggests a long and painstaking build.

Thanks very much Mark. A nice little kit - highly recommended,

Cheers,

Roger

19 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Oohh, its a Spearfish isn't it?  I'll be up for that too. :)

Steve.

Close but no cigar Steve - it's a Roc!

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Close but no cigar Steve - it's a Roc!

Damn, wishful thinking will get me nowhere, just like the Airfix 2023 thread. ;) :D  Ok, so a Roc it is, I've got one of those too. :) 

Hell, I'm going balmy, I'm already on that thread, hopefully this isn't a foretaste of whats to come for the rest of the year. :( :shrug:

Steve.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Very neat build and finish, congratulations...

Colin

Thanks very much Colin!

41 minutes ago, 112 Squadron said:

This is an excellent build and striking color scheme. My contratultions for this great finish.  

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!