Hawker's Kestrel, Harrier, Hind, Hurricane Mk1, Hunters FGA9 and T7...

perdu

7 hours ago, perdu said:

16569476405546532849133011510364.jpg

And updownside up.

16569477716523641747283343349221.jpg

Looking fantastic Bill.  What are you using? Actual wire? 

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Between you and Johnny @The Spadgent, it looks like it's rigging season! :D :clap:

Ciao 

Tell me about it. 🫣

5 hours ago, perdu said:

I should have sent this to Stourbridge with a begging letter, "Dear Johnny please do mine too!

Errrr.

No. 🤣

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

What are you using? Actual wire? 

Yes John, the thinnest wire inside a piece of cable.

I bought a thin roll of it at Matthews's in Hurst St back when we had actual real shops in town.

I used to try to build amps and other technical stuff on Veroboard.

The fuzz box worked a treat, built for my late brother many years ago.

I cut lengths of the cable and strip off the plastic outer then straighten each thin wire under a steel rule.

Then cut to length and a mix of supergoo and cockpit glue to hold in place.

I hate rigging biplanes, luckily nobody here knows do they.

If you don't tell 'em, its our secret OK?

I have that rigging kit designed for the Airfix Demon some of which will be used but not the lot.

It is TOO flat IMO, looks more like a razor wire than an aerofoil section.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Yes John, the thinnest wire inside a piece of cable.

I bought a thin roll of it at Matthews's in Hurst St back when we had actual real shops in town.

I used to try to build amps and other technical stuff on Veroboard.

The fuzz box worked a treat, built for my late brother many years ago.

I cut lengths of the cable and strip off the plastic outer then straighten each thin wire under a steel rule.

Then cut to length and a mix of supergoo and cockpit glue to hold in place.

I hate rigging biplanes, luckily nobody here knows do they.

If you don't tell 'em, its our secret OK?

I have that rigging kit designed for the Airfix Demon some of which will be used but not the lot.

It is TOO flat IMO, looks more like a razor wire than an aerofoil section.

Aahh I see. Cool. It works really well and has a good look. And on a plus note you don’t have to muck around with blu-tac. 🫣

I used a PE set for my Swordfish when I first started. I concur with the Flatness but it’s done now and it’s staying that way. 🙃 Along with the wings that I chipped to reveal metal. 😫 oh how much I have learned from you guys since then. 😇

Onward and upwards dear boy.

Johnny

• Like 2

Found it!

Dammit, I have been searching high and low (kind of...) for my lost tube of Airfix Tube Glue, the obvious choice for certain choices I have made.

Now of course I cannot put off adding the interplane struts, which was a difficult decision to make.

Superglue for instant grab or Tamiya Green for a little give or take?

With my shaking old hands the superglue option flew in the face of common sense and Tamiya Green often makes a 'too weak for stress joints' job of the job.

All I could think of was tube glue which dries hard and fast after a decent fiddling about time.

And had the benefit of being lost so I have had to give the job a lot of hanging about time, but now I have found it!

Did I mention dammit?

Struts are one of the numerous, almost too numerous to count reasons I normally shy away from biplanes.

Struts are not natural, per se, so I religiously stuck to monoplanes and you know what?

I do not blame me.

But I found it so an attempt is being made to add interplanes to the space between the planes.

16571215309804857149008217993957.jpg

We'll see

16571216964105108564537788850601.jpg

Probably...

• Like 9

How many impossible things before breakfast was it?

I can't find enough topside pictures to KNOW for certain but I think there should be two slightly prominent filler caps by the side of the pair of hook shaped pipes atop the tank.

I've seen several guesses at the purpose of dem tings, I think tank vents with a front opening to maintain higher than ambient pressure inside the tank thus allowing fuel to be drained normally to the engine rather than causing suction in the tank.

It could be disastrous for an aeroplane to lose fuel pressure whilst planing the air couldn't it?

Any way filler caps just slightly proud of the tank surface, must get paint on them.

The holes for the aforementioned vent pipes are alongside the caps.

P1010170.jpg

There's a few more shots of the present day stance of the cabanes and we might just be able to spot the pair of aileron control cables at the  rear cabane junction.

No I haven't seen them yet either, lets take a trip.

This ugly shot shows the control cables and the fuel feed to the engine casing, didn't expect that.

P1010167.jpg

Yuk.

P1010175.jpg

Don't know why but this picture reminds me I need to make underwing bomb racks to model this machine as she is equipped at Shuttle worth.

P1010177.jpg

Wheels and weapons nextest, ciao.

• Like 13

the brethren have it right Bill - looking mighty fine there. 

The Audax had two 'P" shaped pipes running aft from the fuel fillers on top of the wing but I'm not sure if her brothers and sisters had the same configuration.

one question though - are you sure there was a second windscreen at the gunner/observer position?

5 hours ago, perdu said:

two slightly prominent filler caps by the side of the pair of hook shaped pipes atop the tank.

The hook shaped pipes are indeed vents. They allow air into the tank as the fuel is being used, and air out when being refuelled. Without those, a vacuum would be created and fuel starvation would be the result. On refuelling if the air can't escape it would overpressurise and damage the tank.

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for verifying that Ian, as an automotive engineer the pointing forward pipes looked as if that was the state of things, otherwise there would be fuel starvation.

Which always comes when you don't need it. 😃

Alan this is going to be a replica of the preserved ex-Afghan Hind and as such is a very often photographed machine.

All photos I have of her show a round/sorry semi-circular, screen behind the driver.

Sadly I don't have such photos available in postimg.cc.

• Like 3

Wheels on and a big-gish  apology, seems it is the restored Demon with the semi-circular window between the seats Alan. Good spot, my bad very bad. :(

Any road up the wheels on board and the window now disposed of.

16575494861933211033506443547570.jpg

Wires to fit and zorst to paint next.

Inviting albeit reluctantly your opinions.

Is this single handedly the worst waste of money that you have ever seen me do?

16575492675146769327629083012965.jpg

16575493324383072308225397671339.jpg

I admit it, I was unrelentingly displeased with masking with gurt dollops of Blu-tak sossidges.

But £16 for MIG Masking putty?

I suppose the stuff is unlikely to be re-useable once painted on, but hey, there is still half a can unused, probably two more models worth left.

That makes model masking for about four squids possibly OK, in the scheme of things type thing.

Here's the tin

16575494002661270522573610729829.jpg

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, perdu said:

seems it is the restored Demon with the semi-circular window between the seats

Just glad to have been of service Bill.

57 minutes ago, perdu said:

Is this single handedly the worst waste of money that you have ever seen me do?

Well that depends upon whether it works or not.  Didn't our Ced use something similar a while back?

If memory serves (no guarantee), isn't he say it ate the paint when it was all rolled up and back in the tin?  

I think he also said it had a tendency to spread out over the airframe if left for too long. P'raps Ced can confirm? Or not.

• Like 3

That might be true Alan, It is beginning to hang off the underwings already.

I have just scissored off a piece the size of a marble, back into the tin with you miladdo.

It might be a very ugly story tomorrow morning when I hit the paint shop.

:)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, hendie said:

If memory serves (no guarantee), isn't he say it ate the paint when it was all rolled up and back in the tin?  

I recall reading similar re this stuff i.e. its re-usable once rolled back up again. Probably not infinitely, but each reuse will reduce the cost - can you tell I did rithmatic at school?

As Alan says, if this stuff works, and I see no reason why it shouldn't, then it's maybe worth it?

T.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

can you tell I did rithmatic at school?

You're ahead of me then - I only did sums :D

Maybe that's why I found calculus so blooming difficult when I went back to school some decades later 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, perdu said:

What much is a calculus then?

It's like sums 'cept imagine you're wrapped in barbed wire and subject to vicious beatings while rubbing your belly and patting your head, simultaneously trying to model a park bench in Fusion :D

... and that's just page 1 !

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2

If yon putty avoids the risk of those those ugly sweat stains you sometimes get left behind by die Blautak then I reckons it's well worth the investment Bill.

Would love to see a shot of that silver bird out in sunlight; it'll glint in a most superb fashion.

30 minutes ago, hendie said:

imagine you're wrapped in barbed wire and subject to vicious beatings while rubbing your belly and patting your head, simultaneously trying to model a park bench in Fusion :D

Looking forwards to your next build already Alan.

• Haha 3