Have Glass, Will Travel

Inspired by "the other Tim's" (@Tim Moff ) Have Glass F-16 build during the last STGB:

I'm going to attempt one myself. Hopefully there's still enough time to get one done.

IMG_20210804_132312

I got all kinds of resin and PE goodies for this guy, despite the fact that I'm not a big fan of resin or PE.

The plan is to depict a Spangdahlem Wild Weasel just as it's touching down for landing, with just the main gear on the ground, speed breaks extended and flaps and slats down.

So started off by modifying the wings:

IMG_20210806_132201

IMG_20210806_132124

Since the nose gear will still be in the air, I need to depict it fully extended:

IMG_20210805_181318

IMG_20210805_184735

Pilot painted and PE started

IMG_20210806_154750

Perhaps @Hockeyboy76 can help me come up with a name for him!

I ran a few paint experiments in anticipation of painting a worn Have Glass II scheme.

IMG_20210806_132434

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Cool job - is it the same Tamiya kit? What paint concoction is that - looks great?

1 of the 12 airframes off to Red Flag from Aviano that did a stopover at earlier in the week Mildenhall was in a fresh HaveGlass finish - up to date references even in the landing configuration you are modelling! One question, whats the plan for the nozzle - appears in the closed position here, kit/resin provides open if I remember - not wanting to cause trouble, as you know I am not one for being over obsessed with details like that....

You planning to mount it on a runway? Sounds exciting!

TldOYdL.jpg

XDmIXp3.jpg

QlgNg3R.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ha! Those are great names @Hockeyboy76! I kind of think he kind of looks like a 'Willard'.

Great pics @Tim Moff, thanks for posting those!

13 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

is it the same Tamiya kit?

Yes, it's the exact same kit you used, I'm very original😀

13 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

What paint concoction is that

The right wing is various metal finishes (Uschi powders, Model Master metalizer, Vallejo Metal Color) with a mix of Tamiya Dark Grey/Matt Aluminum/White sprayed over the top in various patterns. The left wing is just the Tamiya mix.

Reading a little more about the original Have Glass scheme, it seems like the undercoat was metallic and the colour was sprayed on top, which does explain why they weathered down to just a silverish finish as seen

HERE

and

HERE

Sorry, I don't think Airfighters.com (fantastic resource) allows directly posting images, so they're just links.

I'm thinking of doing a base coat of Matt Aluminum, painting the grey on top, then gently sanding that back, and then weathering. We'll see how it goes on the Canberra paint mule.

14 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

whats the plan for the nozzle

I'm planning on depicting it just as the main wheels touch, and it seems that the nozzle is fully open by then - but the leading edge flaps seem to retract at that point as well from all the pics I've seen, so my build will be inaccurate in that regard, but it looks cooler with them drooped - so, worth it.

• Like 3

Welcome along Cookie, and what a great project you have planned for this build. :thumbsup:

And I remember "the others Tim's" build as well, it has sat in the back of my mind for another future project too.

Plus you have some nice little extras there, which is good to see.

AK Interactive have released their version of Have Glass Grey in their Real Colours range. I have a bottle but haven't tried it yet. But if it is as good as the rest in that range, it'll be brilliant. What you use as a base/undercoat will have a big effect of the tone/hue of the grey.

This will be a very interesting build to follow, good luck with it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oooh, I didn't realize they made that.  Will definitely have to keep that in mind for the F-35.

Actually just ordered a couple MRP colors to try out.  I've got a couple colors for the 16s left in MM paints, but a couple are gone.

• Like 2

Thanks @trickyrich, @Tim Moff and @helios16v !

I think I have FS 36170 in Colourcoats and Mission Models, but haven't tried them yet. Your posts sent me on the hunt for another kit that I could build alongside in Have Glass V, but no luck so far.

I'm attempting the older Have Glass II(?) for this one, which uses plain old FS 36118 and 36270, but ends up much darker due to wear:

070201-F-0000Y-093

Note the colour of the canopy rail (I'm assuming it's a non-Have Glass replacement) compared to the rest - similar to the drop tanks in your thread Tim!

And it has that silvery shine underneath

100505-F-3074W-040

Note the non-Have Glass rudder.

I'm in the unusual position of needing to add tail weight, wouldn't want it to be a nose sitter!

IMG_20210810_145546

IMG_20210810_162549

IMG_20210810_173730

IMG_20210810_173741

• Like 9

wow that's super nice work Cookie!! :thumbsup:

I haven't seen those MRP paints yet....but will have to now. I picked up a bottle of this stuff the other day, I haven't tried it yet, but paint wise these paints are nearly as nice and easy to use as the MRP stuff.

Am looking forward o seeing some colour on her.

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

I've gotten a little more done; added the vertical tail and Eduard resin speed breaks:

IMG_20210816_233210

Still a little more clean up to do, as always.

IMG_20210816_202045

And I've managed some more Have Glass experiments on the trusty Canberra. I've sprayed a mix of Tamiya Flat Aluminum and Dark Grey over a base of Vallejo Metal Color, then sanded it back some.

IMG_20210812_170036

Dull and dirty as required, but a bit shiny underneath when the light hits it just right:

IMG_20210812_170044

We'll see how it works out - I've got to get the cockpit finished and canopy masked first.

• Like 7

I'd not thought of tinting that way.  :hmmm:  That'll do.  I went the harder route w/ a mix of gold, orange, and smoke heavily thinned.....then dipped after curing for 48 hours.  This is the first time I've dipped a canopy, so we'll see how things go.

• Like 2

Today I figured I would try and tackle the RES-IM exhaust - I really like the look of resin exhausts, but I'm terrible at dealing with the medium.

Lots of parts:

IMG_20210818_123945

Four of those parts go together to form the turbine face:

IMG_20210818_125503

All built up, with decals from the Astra sheet for the overlap wear areas.

IMG_20210818_165534

The joins between the various resin parts are a bit rickety due to my inability to cut any resin piece from its pour block in a straight line, but I'm really happy with it.

Rattlesnake Williams is waiting patiently, hands in lap, Airfix style:

IMG_20210818_165628

I replaced the seat pitot tubes behind his head with PE ones - much better than my scratched effort.

• Like 9

I don't know how I missed this, Cookie - you're off to a great start anyway! :clap: Cockpit and pilot looking just lovely, and the tinted canopy looks spot on. Can yo expand on the food colors you used, please?

Ciao

• Like 1

15 hours ago, giemme said:

I don't know how I missed this, Cookie - you're off to a great start anyway! :clap: Cockpit and pilot looking just lovely, and the tinted canopy looks spot on. Can yo expand on the food colors you used, please?

Thanks Giorgio!

The food color technique failed me this time; it looked great for 24 hours, but I thought I should give 48 before masking just in case, and today when I checked, it had weird cloudy spots like the food color had separated in spots as it dried. So, I removed the tinting and masked the canopy. I'll revisit the tinting after de-masking since I don't want to wait another 48 hours to paint.

I just use grocery store food coloring and add it to a 50-50 mix of Future/Distilled water. I've done it on my previous F-16 builds with no trouble, but this time something was off. I don't know if the problem was with the new food colors I bought, or if I maybe over thinned the Future.

7 hours ago, helios16v said:

Hmmm, I like the tinted HUD...I might need to research and borrow inspiration.  :hmmm:

Thanks Chris! The HUD is Tamiya clear green, and it came out too saturated, which is why I used food color on the canopy for better control. But as I mentioned in the above response to Giorgio, the food color ended up separating and going cloudy in places (I don't know why), so I may use Tamiya clears on the canopy as well, but thin them much more this time.

Started masking up the now clear canopy:

IMG_20210819_123113

Ref pics show that the forward half of the canopy rail was not in Have Glass, so I masked it over too, to be dealt with later/give me time to come up with a plan for it!

IMG_20210819_135926

Just about ready for paint!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Thanks Giorgio!

The food color technique failed me this time; it looked great for 24 hours, but I thought I should give 48 before masking just in case, and today when I checked, it had weird cloudy spots like the food color had separated in spots as it dried. So, I removed the tinting and masked the canopy. I'll revisit the tinting after de-masking since I don't want to wait another 48 hours to paint.

I just use grocery store food coloring and add it to a 50-50 mix of Future/Distilled water. I've done it on my previous F-16 builds with no trouble, but this time something was off. I don't know if the problem was with the new food colors I bought, or if I maybe over thinned the Future.

Thanks Chris! The HUD is Tamiya clear green, and it came out too saturated, which is why I used food color on the canopy for better control. But as I mentioned in the above response to Giorgio, the food color ended up separating and going cloudy in places (I don't know why), so I may use Tamiya clears on the canopy as well, but thin them much more this time.

Sucks to hear about the separation/cloudiness.  :(

I used Tamiya paints for my canopy tint...I'll see if I can some decent pics of it this weekend.  It's a thinned mix (sprayed on the inside) of smoke, orange, and a touch of gold for reflective properties.  I kept it a pretty light tint, so getting a decent pic might be tough but I'll give it a try.  A dip in the floor finish afterwards really helped w/ the clarity (first time I've done it).  I just hope it doesn't peel off when I demask after paint.  I'll probably thin out the green for the HUD as well...though it'll be brush painted.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, helios16v said:

Sucks to hear about the separation/cloudiness.  :(

I used Tamiya paints for my canopy tint...I'll see if I can some decent pics of it this weekend.  It's a thinned mix (sprayed on the inside) of smoke, orange, and a touch of gold for reflective properties.  I kept it a pretty light tint, so getting a decent pic might be tough but I'll give it a try.  A dip in the floor finish afterwards really helped w/ the clarity (first time I've done it).  I just hope it doesn't peel off when I demask after paint.  I'll probably thin out the green for the HUD as well...though it'll be brush painted.

I'm still debating about trying some new food colors or just going with Tamiya. Thanks for sharing your 'recipe'!

14 hours ago, giemme said:

Great to see her ready for the paint shop :clap:

Well, here we go!

First, a 'primer' coat of Tamiya Titanium:

IMG_20210820_101702

Then a coat of Vallejo Metal Color Aluminum:

IMG_20210820_113008

Then the top coat of various Tamiya greys mixed with Flat Aluminum:

IMG_20210820_124856

It's very difficult to photograph, but I think it will serve as a nice base for my hoped for finish.

IMG_20210820_125631

In the sun:

IMG_20210820_125637

• Like 10

That looks really good Cookie, I think the way you're doing it is the way to go....will have to remember this.

That can loos great........ remember resin is your friend! :D

• Thanks 1