Airco and De Havilland - from stick and string to the jet age! Chat

I’m really excited about this one. Time to dust off some seriously interesting kits. I have a DH2,4,9 and a Tiger moth all in 1/48 and a nice 1/72 vampire ready to go and I really want to build a DH10 just haven’t decided the scale and a DH 5 and 6 in 1/48.

So pretty much DH west starting up here very soon :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Ach decisions decisions....

20230417_173610

Nine kits sixteen weeks, I fail to see an issue :) I mean most of them only have one wing…,

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 5

I’ve never built a whole resin kit but I do a bit of home resin casting. The big thing is to wear a face mask when sanding as the resin dust can be carcinogenic. There also seem to be issues with pinholes ( I find PPP works for this) and bending ( I think hot water and patience are required here)

My choice made and a thread started no layout as it was in the stash but I have another one in mind either Revell's ancient D.H2 or Airfix's Comet racer.We'll see what turns up.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Revell's ancient D.H2 or Airfix's Comet racer.We'll see what turns up.

I’m assuming they’re both 1/72, in which case good luck, I’m nervous about the tail boom of my 1/48 DH2 and considering breaking out the soldering iron and brass rod I can’t imagine how fraught that would be in 1/72 I.e. to be in scale a 25mm tube would be around .4mm 😳

3 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I’m assuming they’re both 1/72, in which case good luck, I’m nervous about the tail boom of my 1/48 DH2 and considering breaking out the soldering iron and brass rod I can’t imagine how fraught that would be in 1/72 I.e. to be in scale a 25mm tube would be around .4mm 😳

I've just used CA when joining steel pins to plastic struts for a previous DH2 and other boomers, and it has endured robustly enough.  Also no problem with  Revell Contacta glued plastic to plastic booms (1/72nd Caudron G.III, where the booms are square sectioned plastic stock - all remaining a bit wobbly until stabilised by rigging). Whateber method, it helped  to drill  1/cm diameter holes in a piece of wood  where the joins are, in order to prevent the assembly sticking to the desk top.

Paul.

• Like 3

Hey ho everyone, if the inspiration gallery is anything to go by this should be a great GB. Only 11 more days to go… I’m off to attend to my salty sea dog builds in the meantime..

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Right I’ve started build threads for the DH 2,4 & 9a. I need to dust off the tiger moth (this is a real tiger moth that I had the privilege of finding in my garden

4F3212A9-7CE9-40AC-BD28-C57918F2F3CD.jpg

) then check if my vampire is a T11 in which case it’ll be finished as an IAC T55 ( the export version of the T11)

While at the same time trying to clear the decks and figure out which if the DH5,6 & 10 builds I’m going to do…

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

WOW, what a great Group Build.... 😎

SO many options, I even picked up an Airfix Comet 4B kit last weekend at a show. I gotta Beaver barely started, the 1.48 Tiger Moth, another Twin Otter, HS125 Vintage Classic, another Heron, , it just goes on and on 😍

I gotta be doing something for this one..... 

• Like 2

I bought the KP DH9A from Hannants at SMW last year specially for this, so...

And while I'm about it I might as well build an Airfix DH4 to go with the 9A and the 9 I built a dozen years ago.

Trying not to over-commit coz there are toooooo many good GBs on this year...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's early days I know, but we seem to be getting a lot of biplane builds being proposed

Not a surprise, I’m expecting a lot of 4s, 9s, Mosquitoes (hmm do I need to get a mossie?)  and Vampires. Surprised not to see any tiger moths, although I am going to build one.

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Trying not to over-commit coz there are toooooo many good GBs on this year...

Simple just forgo the nonessentials like sleeping and talking to your family and you’ll have plenty of time 🤪

• Haha 2

Regarding lackof Tiger Moths, I did 8 1/72nd Tiggies from all the extant kits (old and new Airfix, Aeroclub, Pavla and AZ) over the last 2 years, as well as an Airfix and an Aeroclub in 1/48th - still another 3 years before I'm allowed to do another, I fear.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

Surprised not to see any tiger moths

I'm off on hols on 7th May, so will try to get mine in the Gallery before I go (good excuse to avoid helping with the packing too ;)).

• Like 3

Now I have a bit of a dilemma I really want a DH60 Moth , not a DH82, why? I’m not that struck on the Tigermoth and the IAC had. DH60,  a rough plan comparison shows the fuselage tail planes and rudder almost identical and the wings very similar but straight on  the 60 raked on the 82. 

So I’m either going to copy as many tigermoth parts and make a Moth or cut up the tigermoth and make a moth out of it, hmm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Now I have a bit of a dilemma I really want a DH60 Moth , not a DH82, why? I’m not that struck on the Tigermoth and the IAC had. DH60,  a rough plan comparison shows the fuselage tail planes and rudder almost identical and the wings very similar but straight on  the 60 raked on the 82. 

So I’m either going to copy as many tigermoth parts and make a Moth or cut up the tigermoth and make a moth out of it, hmm.

At the risk of being a spoilsport, there's a kit by Avis in 1/72nd, FWIW,  and the Aeroclub conversion . And in 1/48th the old Aeroclub vac and Amodel kit.

Paul.

• Like 1