Airco and De Havilland - from stick and string to the jet age! Chat

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

used to holiday on Scilly

Completely off the topic, Cliff, but are you aware of the Gig Racing World Championship event which is happening this very weekend.??

St Mary population is easily doubled, and more 

Worth a Google if you want to know what a REAL boat race looks like 😎

21 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

are you aware of the Gig Racing World Championship event which is happening this very weekend.?

No Rob, I was unaware.  I've seen plenty of gig racing (my first wife was from a Cornish fishing family), but I didn't realise that was a world sport.  Thanks for the heads up :).

I am in the salty dog GB with a SeaKing that I think won’t be completed in time. The build was distracted by a Dambuster that I am building to submit in May. 
Saw this GB while browsing BM this morning and I happened to have twin otter in my stash. Maybe I can start this but again, time is the challenge. This twin otter from Revell needs some surgical operation to correct the front pillar and the livery I chose has big windows. This means detailing the cabin and make those windows.

I shall decide after my Lancaster build. 

• Like 2

I'd like to join in with this GB. So many options I can't decide what to be building. 

But first off, I have an Airfix DHC Beaver that I started a wip for and it got totally left behind in the rush of project. 

I'd like to put it on here as a way of getting back on the case. Apart from interior seats and a cleaned off roof, there's nothing much else done. 

The plan is to go for the floats option in true Canadian bush style 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

The plan is to go for the floats option in true Canadian bush style 

That sounds good Rob :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Twenty seven build threads and only a week in to the GB.

I have a lot of things on over the next few days but I think I’ll try to blitzbuild the Vampire so as to get motoring on this GB. I do have a lot of other GB commits to get stuck into but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if a few went by the wayside, but no DeHavillands will be spared :) 

• Like 2

IMG-2264.jpg

Started reading this yesterday, so as to get in the right frame of mind to tackle the Mossie, its  only €0.99 on kindle at the moment. I’m now 15% through it. A very good read so far.

IMG-2265.jpg

I bought this too as it’s also €0.99 at the moment.

• Like 1

Haven't started a Dh build yet (Come on that man get cracking, time's a wasting ) 😬

I've not been idle with DeHavilland's finest though since  picked up this spiffing read earlier in the week from a local book emporium for the bargain price of £7.19. If you have even the slightest interest in vintage aircraft restoration then beg, borrow or steal (well maybe not steal, but try REALLY hard to get a copy) It's written in an easily digestible style, and by turns is fascinating and amusing (Packed up wings coming from India that don't fit into the packing crate - No problem sir we'll just saw them in half crate and all! 🤪)

Hopefully get time for a bit of plastic polishing at the weekend (The current build is proving slightly more time consuming than previously expected) Current choices are -

1) A Vac formed DH6, although I'm lacking any pictures of the cockpit and specifically of the instrument panels (Given the size of the cockpit I'd like to get something close rather than just make it up). 

2) Airfix's venerable DH4 (Brad Cancian did a cracking job of this one recently so the bar has been set pretty high)

3) Eduard's DH2 with the associated rigging and booms (Leaning towards this, but I'd like to make the booms/struts from brass in my usual way using the kit parts as patterns which makes the build rather involved)

🤔 Decisions, decisions . . . .

Paul

ps - Here's a piccy of the book -

Ia2YDpwvotG9_Wg64CCJnaxAKVbTnTNvNOoHazmj

• Like 4

I’m now a quarter of the way the first book and I must say it’s both a good read and there are extensive photos of the manufacturing process making it a fantastic resource for building a mosquito.

Edited by Marklo

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn’t realized it but there was also a Dehavilland Australia which manufactured Mosquitos, mostly for the RAAF during the war. They used type numbers from forty up so anything x.MKXXXX and up was Australian.

A question to the collective if i may. I am building the Cyber-Hobby Vampire FB.5. I know the underside was sprayed in HS Silver, but what colour would the wheel wells be please?

George

Evening all.  How are your Venom ID skills?  Better than mine I hope!

A possible contender for my next entry in the GB is this 1/200 Venom.  Described by the manufacturer as a "Sea Venom", I have my doubts.  To be honest, I'm struggling to find online photos of any Venoms that have this combination of nose, canopy and tailplane shapes.  A couple of Swiss aircraft seem to come closest.  What do you think folks?

P1130648.jpg

P1130649.jpg

Cheers

It's closest to a Swiss long-nose/Pinocchio-nosed single seaters. Sea Venoms were all 2-seaters. The vertical tail looks too large, but other than that it doesn’t look bad for a Swiss aircraft

James

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 81-er said:

It's closest to a Swiss long-nose/Pinocchio-nosed single seaters. Sea Venoms were all 2-seaters. The vertical tail looks too large, but other than that it doesn’t look bad for a Swiss aircraft

James

Thanks James.  I'm thinking that this aircraft might be the cause of the model manufacturer's confusion!

I think you might be right there, Cliff :) I should say, I'm no Venom expert, but I've never seen anything about anyone other than the Swiss operating the long-nosed versions.

James

• Like 1

IMG-2413.jpg
Came across these in my Mosquito book Civil registered Mosquitoes flown by BOAC to Sweden during the war, in addition to the crew they carried one vip passenger in a modified bomb bay.   I particularly like the middle scheme.

• Like 3

While I wait for decals for my DH60M Moth to come so I can complete it, I have a few other DH types but yet to decide which. Here is the list of them and maybe someone can help me decide.

All 1/72:

Tamiya Mosquito FBVI and B.IV.

Airfix Mosquito FBVI series 4 box when it got issued in the 70s

Heron in Shell markings box.

Tiger Moth 1/72 and 1/48.

CHipmunk 1/72 and 1/48

DH/HS125 Dominie original series 3 box.

Hobbycraft

Beaver   and Otter.

AVI  Fox Moth.

Heller DH89. I think thats about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

Tamiya Mosquito FBVI and B.IV.

Airfix Mosquito FBVI series 4 box when it got issued in the 70s

Heron in Shell markings box.

Tiger Moth 1/72 and 1/48.

CHipmunk 1/72 and 1/48

DH/HS125 Dominie original series 3 box.

Hobbycraft

Beaver   and Otter.

AVI  Fox Moth.

Heller DH89. I think thats about it.

Wow that’s some selection personally I’d go for the Fox moth and the DH89 ( I really must try and get hold of one for my collection), then maybe the mosquitos.

Edited by Marklo

9 hours ago, Marklo said:

Came across these in my Mosquito book Civil registered Mosquitoes flown by BOAC to Sweden during the war, in addition to the crew they carried one vip passenger in a modified bomb bay.   I particularly like the middle scheme.

On a related note I was doing some background reading on another topic and came across another Civil Registered Mosquito used during the war; HB-IMO, flown by, of all people, Swissair!

Piqued my interest and a bit more searching bought up the below build thread on here. Dosn't appear to have been finished sadly, but there's some great photos of the scheme and the history behind the plane.

Landing in Switzerland with engine issues it was the first Mosquito to end up in non-allied hands, the British government (concerned it might end up with the Germans) ended up selling it to the Swiss who, after some military testing, thought that Swissair could use it. Apparently Swissair were planning to use it as a mailplane but the changing war situation meant it wasn't used in the end (what route were they thinking of using it on? Surely a Mosquito, even just loaded with parcels, rocking up over Berlin would have not have had a friendly reception, no matter how many Swiss markings you stuck on it...)

Five completed builds in the Gallery and I’m already impressed by the build standard and the diversity of the entries. Well done to anyone who’s competed their build and to everyone else keep up the good work. I know I’m lagging a little as I’m concentrating on catching up with my other GB commits

e.g

IMG-2533.jpg
Six Dassault that got painted today….

• Like 3