1/72 Concorde

Hi, I had recently built the Revell 1/144 Concorde, the owner is really happy, she has asked if I can also build the 1/72 version.  Does anyone know of any sites that are still selling this kit?

Edited by Andy350

1 hour ago, Planebuilder62 said:

The tail sections of the fuselage does not line up well with the mid section and the fin is leaning over to one side. The visor is also too long.

Regards Toby

So a complete nightmare then?  😂

1 minute ago, Nigel Bunker said:

No, just very hard work.

I am still fairly new to modelling, and still build straight from the box.  I need to see if this is even something I can build to an acceptable level.

1 minute ago, Andy350 said:

I need to see if this is even something I can build to an acceptable level.

You should be able to build it. Just be aware that it is not a kit that is straightforward. I suggest you type "Airfix 1/72 Concorde Britmodeller" into your search engine of choice and it should bring up several builds of this kit which will be of help to you.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nigel Bunker said:

You should be able to build it. Just be aware that it is not a kit that is straightforward. I suggest you type "Airfix 1/72 Concorde Britmodeller" into your search engine of choice and it should bring up several builds of this kit which will be of help to you.

Thanks Nigel will do.  Looks like even if you pick Revell or Airfix the builds are the same.  Do you think it's because of the size there were so many issues?

The problem is that this kit is notoriously inaccurate. If you are not happy with just "the result will look like Concorde at night from 10m" (as I am) then ridiculous amount of work is needed to fix some of the kit's errors.

The only kit I have given up

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pin said:

The problem is that this kit is notoriously inaccurate. If you are not happy with just "the result will look like Concorde at night from 10m" (as I am) then ridiculous amount of work is needed to fix some of the kit's errors.

The only kit I have given up

One of the areas I have found apart from already mentioned is the nose, the super sonic windscreen is too long.  I don't think when it's done the recipient will be looking for errors, but if nothing fits then it will look crap!

- cabin windows are 4-5 times larger 

- nose wheel well is almost 20mm too far 

- belly is far too wide and high

- wrong engine nacelles

- wrong shape of wing fairing

- wrong tail wheel compartment

Fit? What fit? Major surgery is required to make this c**p remotely resemble the Concorde! 

I haven't seen this kit properly built. As I said, I gave up on mine, easier to build from scratch 

• Thanks 1

Isn't there an old 1/100 scale kit from Doyusha?  You can get one on EvilBay, and it may even be cheaper.   It's certainly an intermediate option.  I'll let others "flame me" for the suggestion.  Alex T.

• Thanks 1

If it had been produced by Mach 2 flags would have been flown , streets bedecked with bunting and joy would have been abundant however it was produced by a firm from whom some might have thought could have done better , for example what were the rubber tyres and far too fragile axles all about ?

Thanks for the advice everyone.  It's a shame that this is the only 1/72 kit available.  If I can find a kit fairly cheap I will give it a go.  Out of all the problems I have read about so far it's the windscreen that looks the worst.  If I do start this project I will post up in WIP.

Was not this a joint venture between Airfix and Heller at the time, with Heller doing the French version and Airix doing the British one, and the end result was a total mess

A fellow member had completed this build back in 2016 - 

A very good example of all the pitfalls this kit has to offer!  It seems that the nose left up is the way forward on this, but I would have liked to have undercarriage down, not sure that the nose would have ever been up with the undercarriage down in flight?

15 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

A fellow member had completed this build back in 2016 - 

A very good example of all the pitfalls this kit has to offer!  It seems that the nose left up is the way forward on this, but I would have liked to have undercarriage down, not sure that the nose would have ever been up with the undercarriage down in flight?

The mechanism to operate the nose is very delicate.

It's made of the same clear plastic as the windscreen, so it's brittle. 

The pins are very long, which makes them particularly fragile, and this makes it difficult to fit the visor on (you have to somehow get the pins of the links into the holes of the visor without breaking any parts).

I have built this kit three times, and got the nose/visor operational in each of them.  I've got a fourth upstairs waiting to be built in Landor.

Here is a video of the internal mechanism of my Air France build:

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, neilg said:

The mechanism to operate the nose is very delicate.

It's made of the same clear plastic as the windscreen, so it's brittle. 

The pins are very long, which makes them particularly fragile, and this makes it difficult to fit the visor on (you have to somehow get the pins of the links into the holes of the visor without breaking any parts).

I have built this kit three times, and got the nose/visor operational in each of them.  I've got a fourth upstairs waiting to be built in Landor.

Here is a video of the internal mechanism of my Air France build:

Thanks for the link, Could this be done so that the nose is fixed in place and let prone to breaking?  It's either this or I make life easier and build nose and undercarriage up?

2 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Thanks for the link, Could this be done so that the nose is fixed in place and let prone to breaking?  It's either this or I make life easier and build nose and undercarriage up?

I think most people cement the visor in the up position, and don't bother with any of the mechanism, which simplifies the build a lot.

Then you can cement the nose up and fill the gaps.  The gap between the nose and fuselage is quite large, both when the nose is up or down:

IMG_2296

It looks like the visor will sit neatly on the edge of the nose if you decide to fix it in place.

This would also let you create a panel under the visor, to cover the opening inside the nose - this would make the kit more accurate and cover the hollow nose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fuselage is in four parts and seem to be different diameters. The engines are designed to fit into a hole in the wing that is not there. The nose looks a bit weird and the working visor has never worked, also the rubber tyres are crap.

That said its the only game in town (Boxes may change but the contents are all Heller/Airfix)

It can be made to fit, but its hard work.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cyberduck said:

The fuselage is in four parts and seem to be different diameters. The engines are designed to fit into a hole in the wing that is not there. The nose looks a bit weird and the working visor has never worked, also the rubber tyres are crap.

That said its the only game in town (Boxes may change but the contents are all Heller/Airfix)

It can be made to fit, but its hard work.

You can overcome the different diameters by assembling the two halves of the whole plane (aft of the cockpit section), then fitting the two halves together as a normal build.

I think that's what most others have done.

Then after several rounds of filling and sanding, you'll be left with a clean fuselage.

The Revell instructions have been updated from the Airfix and Heller instructions by the frequent use of the spreader icon - certainly this is where most of the time is spent.