Revell 1/72 Kawasaki hien (Tony)**Finished*****

Hi Folk's as I've talked about in chat Revell kits were the domain of the newsagent's I delivered papers for so a good few of their small boxed kits

came my way,I remember the Curtis Hawk in Finnish markings and the Polish pz11,the red Mustang and this one which i can only imagine the mess

I must have made of the finish,hopes are high for a better job this time here's a BM review.

• Like 4

Good, glad this one is getting done. I built one of these in a holiday camp on the Isle of Man in the late 1960s, great fun though I remember the silver bleeding through my nice green blotches and annoying me.

John.

• Like 1

Morning folk's here's the kit ready for a start later in the GB,simple basic but just as I remember it a later boxing as you can see.

20200529_101726

• Like 5

Hi Steve,

The updated decal sheet should make it rather easier. I seem to remember the original boxing just gave you the Hinomaru and just maybe a tail "white zig-zag" though I seem to remember having to paint in the yellow/gold stars myself. There is some debate over whether the base colour was a light JAAF grey or maybe NMF. I built 2, one of which I converted to something vaguely resembling a late model Ki-100 "Goshikisen" as I could not get the L.S (I think) version. Cut down the rear fuselage spine, doctored a canopy from my spares box, made a radial engine from wood and faired it in with Plastic Wood I expect as I would not have had any "proper" filler in those days.

I have always liked the markings of the 244th Sentai, though you have to be a little careful as the different Squadrons had their stripes in different colours - red. white. blue etc and according to Osprey the stars I mentioned may not have been yellow/gold after all, probably white with a yellow outline. Do the instructions say anything about who the machine was flown by or which Chutai it was from? For the record, although you probably know this already, a Chutai was equivalent to a Squadron with notionally 16 planes though it varied a lot. Two to four Chutai made up a Hiko Sentai ( fighter group or wing) and two or more Sentai made up a Hiko Shidan or fighter air brigade - at least that is what I have read, though it is a bit of a generalisation as there were various special detatchments and things changed towards the end of the war. I believe the 3 Chutai of the 244th Sentai were part of the 10th Hiko Shidan in the defence of Japan and they included many aces. My current Hasegawa Hien has green uppers and NMF unders and is a late war 244th machine with simplified markings - I chickened out on the mottle! I believe I have old Microsacle decs for a 244th Ki 61 should you have problems, though yours look good.

This was I think my second Japanese fighter after the Airfix Zero, though I then bought Revell's Ki-43 and Ki-84 - as mentioned elsewhere these kits filled a big gap in my collection and were cheap as well. As to accuracy not that much was kown about Japanese planes in the early 60's - things have improved somewhat since then, I have fond memories of them.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Morning folk's,no cockpit detail to speak of so it's better to treat this to it's full paintwork then pain in the interior later,despite a fair bit of clean up the fit

is very good although with all silver moulded kits the primer will bring out the flaws so far so good.

20200603_105809

• Like 8

Morning folk's,this little kit is turning out to be the most enjoyable so far.Not a jot of filler needed and after a couple of brushed coats of Humbrol silver

time for the black anti-glare panel and tail to get some attention.Next will be the yellow leading edges which I'll paint rather than decal and finally it's

dot dot dot time.

20200605_111726

• Like 8

Morning folk's more dots before the eyes this morning,took about 15 minutes so not as bad as the SM79,after an hour to dry nipped back up and

glossed her.

20200606_112817

• Like 8

Morning folk's,decal session,decal nightmare,very matt and very see-through,I had to paint over the hinomaru they were so thin declined to repeat

the process on the white cheat line but got them as good as I can it's all fun anyway!

20200607_113117

• Like 8

Super silver and even super-er mottling! It looks so-o-o even. The decals from older Revell kits haven’t aged well (I’ve used superglue as a setting agent on occasion) but it’s a modern blue box kit so the decals should be good - fingers crossed.

[edit - I didn’t cross my fingers enough obviously. Nicely recovered though - it looks great!]

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2