Airfix 1/48 Defiant, or finally discovering your true identity!!!

Well as it's New Year's Eve still in the UK, no doubt many BMers are planning for their night of excess and partying but somebody has to keep the ship afloat eh?  So instead of nipping down to Tescos for a dozen tinnies of IPA and a couple of packs of Rennies, I've been finishing off my oft-stalled Airfix Defiant build for your delectation.  Well somebody had to take one for the team didn't they!!?

Now this build started off as L7009, the "Cock o' the North" from 141 Sqn, except like the "cock o' the south-east" that I can be at times I applied the wrong camouflage pattern, (it's a 50/50 choice so there's a 90% chance of stuffing it up as we all know!).  Needing a victim that was wearing a Scheme 'A' outfit to the party, I consulted my many references and found a picture of the machine I wanted to replicate.  It was a 264 Sqn machine, L7005 PS-X.

Image_E_Defiants_being_prepared_for_thei

OK OK, despite all my good intentions I managed to find conflicting evidence for this kite's serial number, with the majority of my books giving it a serial of L7006, so that's what I initially marked it up as.  @AndyL, like a knight in shining armour, rode to the rescue pointing out that the Sqn ORB gave PS-X as L7005 so I waxed off the 6's and put some 5's in their place.

Anyways if you want the peruse the WIP it's here, but if not then it's straight onto the piccies for those with those "ooh shiny shiny" afflictions!!!!!  

DSC_0144 DSC_0143 DSC_0142 DSC_0141 DSC_0140 DSC_0139 DSC_0137 DSC_0146

So here's to wishing you all a happy, healthy and prosperous 2020.  Stay safe out there.

Chris

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

A stunner.  I built this kit about 18 months ago when I got back into modelling  following a long break. 

If I remember correctly the turret took a little bit of time,but was well worth it.

Excellent build.

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2019 at 5:46 PM, Spitfire31 said:

A very convincing Defiant!

Kind regards,

Joachim

On 12/31/2019 at 5:59 PM, Tempestwulf said:

Fantastic finish. Building the 1/72 one currently.

On 12/31/2019 at 6:49 PM, Unfinished project said:

Very very nice Defiant 👏👏

On 12/31/2019 at 8:13 PM, binbrook87 said:

Fantastic defiant! Brilliant job 👏

21 hours ago, RMCS said:

Lovley 

12 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Well worth the effort. Nice job👍

11 hours ago, bryanm said:

Great result from a brilliant kit - Airfix at their best.

8 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Good to see this one finished👍

Great result.

Cheers Greg 

8 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Cracking result.

Thank you all, the kind words are much appreciated.

On 12/31/2019 at 3:31 PM, Ron Pearcy said:

A stunner.  I built this kit about 18 months ago when I got back into modelling  following a long break. 

If I remember correctly the turret took a little bit of time,but was well worth it.

Excellent build.

11 hours ago, mackem01 said:

She's  a beauty, and your build log has been saved as it will come in handy later this year! Great job.

Thank you too.  Ah yes the turret.  That was my only sticking point during the final final assembly stage.  I hadn't noticed that the destructions have you fit the turret before the rear decking, so that lead to a good half an hour of good old-fashioned swearing whilst I took the glass off it, wiggled the turret ring past the decking and the lip on the rear of the canopy and then squeezed the glass back on past a little protusion on the clear part.  Wish I'd just followed them to a tee!

Edited by Fatcawthorne
Spling an Grandma
  • Like 1