1/72 Italeri Northrop F-5E USMC Aggressor - VMFT 401

Saved from the shelf of doom, I started this kit couple of years ago under rather funny circumstances. It all started with me having a go at the rather modern Hobby Boss F-5E only to discover its biggest glaring issue - the windscreen being way too short. To remedy the problem, I bought a water damaged Italeri kit off of eBay mostly for its clear parts. Seeing that the Italeri had the right shark nose and squared off LERXs seen on most US aggressor aircraft, I wondered if the HB kit was worth proceeding with. Eventually, I used the Italeri canopy as a basis to form a new windscreen for the HB kit and decided I would do a twin Tiger build. Long story short, I ran out of steam midway and both kits were packed away after reaching primer stage. 

Fast forward to 2019, I was looking for something to 'finish off quickly' and came across these two again. I decided to just focus on completing the Italeri while I used decals from the HB boxing. I made some minor mods to better represent the subject aircraft, nothing crazy. Modifications made were - Seat headrest changed to improved style (using putty to build the headrest buttress), scratch built the canopy lift mechanism and fashioned an ACMI pod using styrene pipes. The canopy lift feels like an absolute must have for anyone building 1/72 F-5s and took the most time on my build to get right. This is quite characteristic of the F-5 and I have no idea why kit manufacturers decided to leave it out. 

This was finally finished off over the last week since so much work was already done. I was too lazy to use blu tac on the camo and ending up free-handing it at 1 bar psi. I think it turned out OK. Hope you all like it.

33836981028_c0f7641770_b.jpg

47661183192_c247345761_b.jpg

33836981728_961b1786b2_b.jpg

33836981408_003f6d99fa_b.jpg

• Like 33

1 hour ago, ratmigs said:

@Moderators this was accidentally posted in WIP. Please help move this to the RFI section. 

The report did the job and it's now in the right place. Good work :)

• Like 1

Very nice Adversary F-5.  I went on a similar journey to you:  bought the HB F-5E; discovered all its problems; gave up and built the Italeri F-5N instead.

I agree with you about the canopy lift mechanism and you have done a really nice job of it.  Scheme looks good too.  Well done all round!