Jump to content

Bill.B

Members
  • Posts

    529
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Bill.B

  • Birthday 01/12/1956

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    England

Recent Profile Visitors

1,187 profile views

Bill.B's Achievements

Obsessed Member

Obsessed Member (4/9)

1.2k

Reputation

  1. It’s been a while since I made my last tank, (a T34/85 as I recall) so I thought I’d have a break from aircraft and scratch a long standing Tiger itch I’ve had. This is the Dragon Models version of an early DAK Tiger 1 and goes together really easily. It’s built out the box with the included PE, but I couldn’t resist adding a set of Friul metal tracks to add a bit of weight to the model and give a fairly authentic sag to the assembly. Paints are Tamiya acrylics, Windsor & Newton lacquers, and various washes, oils and powders have been utilised to dirty up the tank and tracks. Weathering AFV’s definitely isn’t my strong point, but it’s fun trying new methods and ideas which may, or may not be of use at a later date, and I really must try making dioramas at some point. Anyway, here it is…
  2. Thanks, and yes, they’re the flat packed photo etch guns supplied in the kit.
  3. I’ve just realised I forgot to cut and paste the finer details so please put it down to the onset of senility. Anyway, the paints are Tamiya acrylics and Alclad metals with Windsor & Newton varnish. Various pastel powders and oils were used for subtle weathering and stretched sprue used for the rigging wires. To achieve a different tone of colour between the cowling and airframe I tried a new technique to me. The cowl was firstly airbrushed in gloss black followed by Alclad Duralumin. This was then over painted with light coats of the red until I achieved a satisfactory difference to the airframe colour. I figured that the original would have had a similar effect between the canvas and metal cowl, but without period colour documentation it’s merely a bit of artistic license on my behalf so may not be accurate at all! Finally thanks for the comments so far and the likes.
  4. I thought I’d try something different for a change so I dug out the Eduard 1/48 Fokker DR.1 from deep within the stash and got stuck in. However I did ponder over which scheme to do, but in the end decided to be boring and go with one of the Barons red schemes as it’s relatively easy to achieve. Anyway, here it is, warts and all so feel free to tell me where I can improve.
  5. Thanks for all the kind comments.
  6. This is the latest Spitfire offering from Tamiya and is probably their best aircraft kit to date IMHO. The kit goes together very easily (as might be expected) and has some nice details, but considering that a pilot is included there isn’t an option to display the model ‘wheels up’. Unfortunately some careful cutting and fettling is required as frustratingly the wheel bays aren’t deep enough to accommodate the wheels ‘up’. Because of this the wheels need to be reduced to nearly half their thickness before the undercarriage doors will sit flush. The chrome metal stand is made by Geminijets and it’s only required to drill a suitable sized hole in the wing thus enabling the Spit to be safely mounted. Paints are Tamiya acrylics, various oils and final Matt varnish are Newton & Windsor, and the 3 aerial wires are Uschi van der Rosten thread. Overall I’m pretty pleased with the final result, but I’ve since realised that maybe the oleos needed extending slightly as they are probably moulded in a ‘weight on wheels’ guise.
  7. It’s been a while since I’ve posted on here, but I’ve finally finished the Eduard Profi 1/72 Zlin 37A Čmelák I’ve been building of late. This particular registered aircraft was noted for smuggling a family from East to West Germany before the wall came down and they were placed into the cramped hopper compartment behind the cockpit for the journey. The conditions just don’t bear thinking about! The kit is really easy to build and well detailed for such a small scale, however, the instructions are incorrect on a couple of instances with regard to the decals. The ‘Z-37A’ decal should be applied under the cockpit door both sides and not omitted, and the registration on the top starboard wing should be omitted as the full sized didn’t have it. Added to this the whole of the fin and rudder should be painted red, not partially painted as per instructions, but other than this I think everything else is correct. If you want something different from the norm I can thoroughly recommend this model, especially the Profi version as there are many different photo etch selections to choose from which will enhance the model.
  8. Thanks for the very positive reply’s everyone!
  9. I can’t even get an airbrush finish as good as that, very well done!
  10. That’s a cracking model and very nicely weathered too.
×
×
  • Create New...