Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-25 Foxbat/MiG-31 Foxhound STGB Chat

16 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Come on Col, open them up so we can all see!!!

Ooh Rich you've got all the best chat-up lines!

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

my name is Alex, i'm from Germany -Munich (yes, the one with the Oktoberfest!!!)- and i'm an avid reader of this forum.

I would like to join this group build (if it's possible), as I have Trumpeter's 1/72 Mig-31B/BM in the stash,  but until now the motivation to start the kit iis minimal.

It will be build oob, except the cockpit for which I will use Quina Studios 3D-decals for the BM version of the Foxhound.

As I'm mostly a "heavy metal" modeller (and sometimes ships also), I hope to get some tipps, advice and critique on how to achive better results.

Greetings

Alex

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • trickyrich changed the title to Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-25 Foxbat/MiG-31 Foxhound STGB - 02/09 to 03/12
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 7:05 AM, OscarIII said:

Hi everyone,

my name is Alex, i'm from Germany -Munich (yes, the one with the Oktoberfest!!!)- and i'm an avid reader of this forum.

I would like to join this group build (if it's possible), as I have Trumpeter's 1/72 Mig-31B/BM in the stash,  but until now the motivation to start the kit iis minimal.

It will be build oob, except the cockpit for which I will use Quina Studios 3D-decals for the BM version of the Foxhound.

As I'm mostly a "heavy metal" modeller (and sometimes ships also), I hope to get some tipps, advice and critique on how to achive better results.

Greetings

Alex

On 3/19/2023 at 8:32 PM, Hook said:

And me as well!  :) 

Cheers,

Andre

Arrr yes welcome along as well.......

............. as host I really should keep better track of GB's I'm hosting!  :blush:

But you come to the right place to have some fun and pick up great tips and tricks, as there are some amazing builders lined up for this STGB. We still have a few months to go but at the rate this year is flying by it'll soon be on us!

• Like 1

Well well well... I just spotted this, and I have a HobbyBoss 1:48 Mig-31M that has been sitting waiting for me to build it for a few years as I just don't have anywhere to put it afterwards! But this might be the incentive I need to finally get started on it. I have a vague recollection of buying some PE for it too, I'll have to check the box later. So please put my name down, thanks...

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Holy Hand grenade folks....this one rolled around quick......way to quick for me as it seems....I have a full workbench at the moment so not sure where I going to put one of these!!!

Anyway, time to panic folks, if you haven't planned you build yet you only have a week to go before this one takes to the sky faster than a T-72 turret!!!  :D

• Haha 2

Excellent! I have a HobbyBoss 1:48 MiG-31M in my "stashette" for about 4 or 5 years now, so this means I can finally try to build it (though where I put the beast afterwards is another thing entirely). I think I did buy some extras (I have a vague recollection of resin/pe exhausts) but I'll have to look in the box to remind myself. Apart from that it will be built OOB and as quickly as I can to try to get it finished in 3 months!

• Like 2

Hey gang, still largely a lurker but picked up a Revell 1/72 MiG-31 today. Question being, could I take part in the build, despite (likely) building it in this paint scheme? The scheme is based on the demo models from the 90s, but is from the Ace Combat game series. I would likely leave markings off for now, but may order some decals to make Trigger's aircraft from the game in this scheme. I understand per the rules there are no whifs/fictional markings allowed in the gallery, but could I still participate in the GB? If someone could point me to Belenko's '25 i'd be glad to snatch it up and use that. Looking forward to all the builds! These aircraft are huge...

gj83shs2g7j71

• Like 1

I don't have a problem at all with you building this in this STGB.

The only stipulation is that you will not be able to post photos in the gallery, But it will be fine to post them in the Inspirational Gallery.

If you are happy with doing that then go for it........I do like the scheme, it looks super cool.

• Like 1

Looking for some advice about the ordinance on the MiG-31M.

From what I can see, the 6 R-37s under the fuselage are a given, kinda like the Phoenix missiles under a Tomcat! But I'm not sure what might be a good/typical loadout apart from that. Here's what the instructions say...

spacer.png

Any suggestions? What's a realistic loadout? I'm not a fan of fuel tanks really, but obviously if they would always have them then I should probably include them.

And if a pylon is empty, would it be left on the wing, or would it be removed?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

Hmm searched the interweb it seems that most of both types were grey

Pretty much any colour you like as long as its grey!

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

I have a self imposed ban on little red stars

Good man.👍

There are plenty of options for markings for the 25 ranging from Iraqi triangles through to simple green dots for a Libyan bird, and of course you could always build a Ukrainian one. The 31 is only the horrible red stars or Kazakh ones.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marklo said:

Hmm searched the interweb it seems that most of both types were grey and the only camo options aren’t a runner as   I have a self imposed ban on little red stars atm, suggest?

you could do a Ukraine bird, still the grey overall, you just need to replace the insignias on the decal sheet, and they are super easy to do with masks. Else you have a few middle eastern versions, unfortunately the only option for the 31 is a Kaz'y version.

2 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Looking for some advice about the ordinance on the MiG-31M.

From what I can see, the 6 R-37s under the fuselage are a given, kinda like the Phoenix missiles under a Tomcat! But I'm not sure what might be a good/typical loadout apart from that. Here's what the instructions say...

spacer.png

Any suggestions? What's a realistic loadout? I'm not a fan of fuel tanks really, but obviously if they would always have them then I should probably include them.

And if a pylon is empty, would it be left on the wing, or would it be removed?

Thanks!

Just looking at the instructions for the AMK version, you have the 4 huge R-33's under the fuselage then a choice of R-73's & 77's under the wings. I'd prob go 73's on the outer and 77's the inner.