TID Steam Tug Completed

7 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Leprechauns and Martian 👽 making mischief what ever gave you that idea. 🍀

Like our green friend said we are all wanting to see your skills adding the details. :coolio:

beefy 

I was under the impression I had been well (ish) behaved recently. Surely I of all aliens can't be blamed for a democratic display of people's opinions and if I was, nobody would believe it anyway!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

When you're serious I feel I have done something wrong or you're ill

Kev

Strangely enough, you're not the first person to have said that!

Can't Win of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fizgig said:

Many apologies, am a silly schoolboy who got too comfy chatting to strangers

😟

I don't think you've said anything out of order.  If you're talking about @Martian a rhino who be pleased to have skin that thick. If you think you have offended someone send them a PM

Now let's see you make a start on your gunboat.  Your most welcome to marine modelling

Kev

PS the only stupid question is the one you don't ask 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kev

I have dispatched an e-mail to that mag, many thanks for the heads-up, hopefully he will get back to me  . . .

My late father served on the Ship canal after the war and had several photographs. Some local artist asked him if he could paint the tugs from the photos and dad gave him the colour schemes he could recall. Of the six or more he painted myself and sibling each have one. The photo shows Dad with a couple of mates on another tug (believe it was ARROW) .

32288381827_e75753969c_z.jpg

46315937095_6f94759745_z.jpg

keep up the good work

Ian

PS Kev

Got a reply from Marc to say that the plan is NOT now available

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
Update of information.
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

I don't think you've said anything out of order.  If you're talking about @Martian a rhino who be pleased to have skin that thick.

I'm not offended at all. As @longshanks will confirm, if I'm upset the rest of the Galaxy and his dog know about it.

Britmodeller's Resident Shrinking Violet 👽 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

My late father served on the Ship canal after the war and had several photographs. Some local artist asked him if he could paint the tugs from the photos and dad gave him the colour schemes he could recall. Of the six or more he painted myself and sibling each have one. The photo shows Dad with a couple of mates on another tug

Lovely pics

This might help with plans

http://magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/model-boats-magazine-october_08_large.jpg.html

Kev

• Thanks 1

One of the disheartening things about scratch building is the apparent progress . . . 

You can spend hours/days modelling and all you have to show is the smallest piece in a large jigsaw :banghead:

A case in point. Vents on the side of the boiler housing. 45 pieces each x 4 = 180 and I've still got to make the lids etc..

Started with 0.1mm card plus .03 sq for the frame

P1090345 (Copy)

The addition of stretched sprue to represent the vents

P1090347 (Copy)

Completion of the frame and we have four vents

P1090348 (Copy)

The following pics show the additions since the last post. Dog house on the front of the superstructure. Sliding hatches/doors to ladders to crew compartment and engine room. Bridge deck and funnel (not glued).

P1090350 (Copy)

P1090351 (Copy)

P1090352 (Copy)

P1090354 (Copy)

P1090355 (Copy)

Kev

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, longshanks said:

One of the disheartening things about scratch building is the apparent progress . . . 

You can spend hours/days modelling and all you have to show is the smallest piece in a large jigsaw 

... and small scale builds don't help. :rolleyes:

She's looking very good Kev.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is most excellent work Kev. However, if as you say, it is getting you down a bit, perhaps I can tempt you down to sunny Poole to work on a 1/1 scale, 7 1/2 ton launch I happen to have out of the water for the next few weeks. In exchange for freedom from the frustrations of countless bits of stretched sprue, I can guarantee you cold, getting soaked, banter of almost BM quality and as much crud as you can shake a stick at.

Over Generous of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

perhaps I can tempt you down to sunny Poole

Thank you for the offer, I was tempted right up to the point you mentioned Cold  

Is this your workboat in for servicing?

44 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

But hang on I thought you put the doghouse in the back garden :shrug:

Ah we do things different down South .....

Thanks for the encouragement guys, much appreciated. 

I think I need to find a big simple bit  (:hmmm: that would be me). Like the windlass or perhaps the wheel . . .

Kev

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Thank you for the offer, I was tempted right up to the point you mentioned Cold  

Is this your workboat in for servicing?

Indeed it is the launch that I am responsible for, Avocet, the former Poole Customs Launch, in for a major refit which I have to project manage. I wonder why they chose me of all people to look after her? Have you considered that the benefits of getting soaking wet and covered from head to toe in crud might outweigh getting a weensy bit cold?

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I wonder why they chose me of all people to look after her?

Many hands make light work :whistle:

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Have you considered that the benefits of getting soaking wet and covered from head to toe in crud might outweigh getting a weensy bit cold?

:hmmm:                  NO!

Seriously I bet you have a lot of fun on a very worthwhile pastime

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Seriously I bet you have a lot of fun on a very worthwhile pastime

My body is already telling me otherwise!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

Gidday Kev, I think she is looking very good. I understand about the feeling of apparent progress (or lack of on occasion), but I believe it is worth it in the end to "get that little part just right" if possible, even if it takes a while. I think it is worth it in the end. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

On 07/03/2019 at 13:43, Martian Hale said:

Indeed it is the launch that I am responsible for, Avocet, the former Poole Customs Launch, in for a major refit which I have to project manage. ...

I Googled Avocet out of interest.  I was surprised she isn't painted green.  Oh wait a minute, I'm the green one this time - green with envy.  :jealous:

Thanks for your volunteer work Martian. :clap2:

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Some superb scratch building going on here Kev, love it!

Terry

Don't tell him I said so but that's what he is best at.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2