Boeing C 75 (model 307) - Maquette 1/72, 1942

JWM

Hi,

Within the STGB devoted to B-17, after pernission from other colluegues I constructed a passanger modification of B-17, the Boeing 307 in his appareance as C-75, after beeing impossed to Army.  The construction thread is here 

You may found there some challenges and problems which one can meet on construcing this model. BYT - this is a kit made by Russian Maquette company in which a late war or post war variant of Model 307/C-75 is presented. In fact this is a ex-Frog B-17E with new fuselage and few more new parts.

The Boeing Model 307 was produced in short series of 10 machines for PAN-Am and TWA companies. One machine was bought by Howard Hughes. The five TWA machines were impssed to army keeping their individual names from times of being in TWA, they werenames of Indian tribes: Apache, Cheeroke, Comanche, Navajo and Zuni . 

The machines were few times strongly modified, so I did it in configuration of 1941-43 (markings for 1942). She has different tailplane than in box and oil coolers as well as air intaked above engines comparing to late war variant from box.

The "307"s as C-75 played the role of VIP transport mainly. I did "Navajo" (c/n 2001,  42-88627). From Feb 1942 she was ued on route: Washington DC to Cairo via Natal (Brasil). Later the Noth Atlantic route to Englan. The VIPs transported were people like Eisenhower, Clark, Vandenberg, Towers.... Machine was returned to TWA in July 1944 The names of Indian tribes were inharited from TWA.

Here she is:

31305030217_9575136ffa_b.jpg

46244151711_88fc3aa672_b.jpg

32371755108_25ccfb387d_b.jpg

32371747528_5601009544_b.jpg

32371757648_ac8bf55a0d_b.jpg

45520200564_9d8df876d4_b.jpg

32371759968_356435667d_b.jpg

Comments welcome

Regards

J-W

43721582275_38acb8d554_o.jpg

• Like 32

JWM,

She turned out very nicely! Bet the build and mods weren't easy! Of course, the one I like best is one of the natural metal 307's that were remanufactured with the B-17G wings, engines, and stabilizers before going back to TWA service-I'm  not looking forward to all the putty work,  rescribing, and then trying to get a decent finish on what looks like a pretty crude kit...does Maquette stand for Mach 1 in French, BTW? 👍

Plus, figuring out how to do all the TWA markings! Oh well- is this a great hobby or what?

Mike

Just noticed this in your photos- if the one you built had the external oil coolers and carburetor air intakes on the cowlings, would you still need the intakes in the leading edge of the wings for the oil coolers of the B-17G?

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Just noticed this in your photos- if the one you built had the external oil coolers and carburetor air intakes on the cowlings, would you still need the intakes in the leading edge of the wings for the oil coolers of the B-17G?

Mike, thank you. Apparently when I was blinding intakes I've seen some "special" 307. I have blinded some inletes but not those two between engins. Indeed, no intaked between engines are seen on WW2 photos. I have to blind them...

Regards

J-W

Nice model and an interesting prototype! 

Typically you see side views on the photoes and C-75 looks okay then. But from the top it somewhat looks like rubber B-17 was inflated with compressed air :) or that bombs detonated inside but the fuselage survived just getting a bit... stretched. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

JWM,

She turned out very nicely! Bet the build and mods weren't easy! Of course, the one I like best is one of the natural metal 307's that were remanufactured with the B-17G wings, engines, and stabilizers before going back to TWA service-I'm  not looking forward to all the putty work,  rescribing, and then trying to get a decent finish on what looks like a pretty crude kit...does Maquette stand for Mach 1 in French, BTW? 👍

Maquette is French for scale model. Mach 1 models are also French but don't be tempted by one! "Some modelling skills required" is an understatement.

Pete

Edited by Buzby061
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

Typically you see side views on the photoes and C-75 looks okay then. But from the top it somewhat looks like rubber B-17 was inflated with compressed air :) or that bombs detonated inside but the fuselage survived just getting a bit... stretched. 

Thank you. Indeed it looks like a B-17 which underwent some bombaz (I have found in a dictionary that this word works in English, if not I mean a tin cane which bulged due to gas produced by biological decay of what was inside...) :) But in some way it was a beauty machine, like directly from a cartoon....

40 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Great job on an unusual aircraft, seems to be your trademark!

They say if it looks right it flies right. Maybe that explains why only 10 were built.

Pete

Thank you. It is something around that I am looking for some unusual machines, still having no Ju-88 nor Liberator on my shelves ... I have to do them one day (or rather some months...- I have six Ju-88/188/388 and five Liberators in stash ;) )

I am not sure how Model 307 flies. They were in use as airliners till almost 1970s in France.  Must be some reasons for it... Really very long as for rare type.

Regards

J-W

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Great job on an unusual aircraft, seems to be your trademark!

They say if it looks right it flies right. Maybe that explains why only 10 were built.

Pete

There was nothing wrong with it as an airliner. The problem was that World War 2 intervened.

Maquette kits were basically re-pops of FROG moulds, some of which were modified to give alternative versions. The 307 was based on FROG's Boeing B-17 which had been issued by FROG just before they went out of business - allied to a new mould fuselage.

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Maquette kits were basically re-pops of FROG moulds, some of which were modified to give alternative versions. The 307 was based on FROG's Boeing B-17 which had been issued by FROG just before they went out of business - allied to a new mould fuselage.

Indeed, the frames has not removed Frog number F213. 

The fuselage looks like that:

44555849015_043a396db8_b.jpg&key=4f3802d

And one half is about 2 mm shorter than second one.... There was a lot of fun tu build it ;)

Similar was transport version of Vimy. But Maquette do many other kits, I think more or less own  like DH9A, Ilia Muromec, Beriev Be4 etc...  

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Very nice build of an unusual subject - not sure if I've ever seen the type before (?).

Strange question:  Are those cute little boarding stairs from the kit?  From aftermarket?  Something you found?

Very nice work, anyway.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kapam said:

Are those cute little boarding stairs from the kit?  From aftermarket?  Something you found?

Very nice work, anyway.

Thank you.

The stairways are scratch build

31305028097_3762b2cc1b_b.jpg&key=a6e84ac

32371746458_fc1b0b7505_b.jpg&key=f75376f

some details (like a fire estinguisher) I found in this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZSyCFWejI

Regards

J-W

On 12/9/2018 at 6:37 PM, JWM said:

Mike, thank you. Apparently when I was blinding intakes I've seen some "special" 307. I have blinded some inletes but not those two between engins. Indeed, no intaked between engines are seen on WW2 photos. I have to blind them...

Regards

J-W

So I've blind these openings in leading edge

46317494771_b2fd04106e_b.jpg

Cheers

J-W

It looks brilliant J-W,...... a lot of work, effort and filler has gone into that mate!

I remember seeing a photo of one of these on a British airfield alongside some Hurricane`s which looked quite surreal

hurri v6703 he-a

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

On 14/12/2018 at 23:34, JWM said:

Thank you Tony! I appreciate your comment. This Model 307 is one in a kind, even if alike a bit C-46... 

Regards

J-W

There's a reason why they look similar. The C-46 began life as the CW-20, which was intended to be a pressurised airliner. In actual fact, they were built as unpressurised cargo aircraft for the military. 

• Like 1