1/48 Messerschmitt Bf109F Trop (yes, Yellow 14)

This one nearly didn't make it and I seriously ran out of enthusiasm during this build.

It's the Revell re-box of the ICM Messerchmitt 109F in 1/48 scale.

40559290940_e434e819be_b.jpg

The kit is fine, nice detail, good fit, apart from the nose which suffers from the same issues as the Spitfire from the same company (ICM) with an engine and separate nose cowling parts- it's a bit of a struggle to get it to sit nicely, and I just filled the be-jeezuzz out of the gaps, sanded and re-scribed.  It's an OK-ish job, but not one that stands too much scrutiny.

28493328638_da839b2e4f_b.jpg

In line with EU regulations that similarly demand that all Typhoons are Closterman's and all MkIX's are Johnny Johnson's 🙂 as its a 109F Trop, The aircraft is finished in the markings of "Der Stern Von Afrika", (The Star of Africa), Hans Joachim Marseille.

Marseille shot down a shedload (158) of British and Commonwealth fighters, mostly in North Africa. He was killed in September 1942 at the age of 23.

28493327568_22610d316c_b.jpg

Finished in Humbrol colours. Decals are fine but the kits sheet lack the swastika for legal reasons- I have a spare sheet of them somewhere but couldn't be bothered to put them on.

28493326538_b8a78d8547_b.jpg

I did enjoy parts of the build- the comparison to the engineering to my Hurricane, Spitfire and Tomahawk builds was interesting- the 109 seems very slender and compact in comparison , the wings slim and un-encumbered with blisters and bumps, the undercarriage is very stalky and spread eagled. 

28493327038_21101f83fe_b.jpg

Anyhoo, onto the next one- thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Troffa

• Like 25

Looks great.  😁😁😁🤗..  I have an old 1:72 Frog 109F in my stash and intend to do the Marseille version ..  Looking at it recently and it doesn't give that leopard decal near intake though also shows half of fuselage duck egg blue ...   As pre PC gone mad it's got Swastikas though ha ha..😂

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply Hairtrigger, there are several versions of Yellow 14 and that (very nice) high demarcation camouflage scheme is kitted by Hasegawa amongst others.   

(and the depiction of the swastika is banned in Germany for obvious reasons- hence they are not in the Revell of Germany kit)