"Lost In Space" on the Netflix

Hello, All. 

Just watched a couple of episodes of the new series on Netflix. It's looking good... 

A major departure from the original series (a VERY good thing, that one!). Well-written, big budget, great special-effects and none of the kids are thumpable brats. Relies a bit too much on enormous coincedences, but I'm not going to cease watching just for that. 

Anyone else given it a go yet?

Chris.  

I watched the first with my eldest after she had finished her school work.

We are lost in space fans anyway so no surprise that it got a big thumbs up from both of us.

Despite misgivings I really enjoyed it,unusually the kids are really likeable,the charecters are tweaked enough to be entertaining,and the robots great.

Not over impressed . In fact, I found it a little dull. Robot was probably the star of the show. Bill Mumy's cameo as the "real" Zachary Smith was a nice touch though. Didn't really grab my attention so, I won't be in a hurry to watch it again. One series I have been enjoying though is Timeless. Keep hoping (probably in vain) that the BBC will give Blake's 7 a makeover similar to Doctor Who!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

• 4 weeks later...

hello folks, myself and my other half are 3 episodes in. A bit of a double edged sword this one.

We usually give any new series the  3 episode litmus test. If it grabs us in 3 episodes then we're in for the duration, we figure if it was a film its roughly that kind of running time so the chances are the network will do its best to grab our attention by then. Some though do it in 1. Banshee, The Terror to name a couple. Some such LIS, any Star Trek incarnation and the beloved BSG come/came with a lot of high expectations.

Sorry to bore you all.

LIS is enjoyable mediocre sci-fi. A great plot so far populated by a p.c. family. A really annoying matriarch, a more annoying son and most annoying daughter. Id love to see the Titan A.E. drej inspired robot (?) wipe them out. Anyway I digress. The 'Dr Smith' character is by far the most interesting in the show, twitchy, a bit un-balanced and more than a bit devious. A big budget has been thrown at this and it shows, very polished visuals and all the hard ware has a very real world feeling about it, the space suits reminded me of the one worn by eagle pilots!

So then ep 4 tonight and I have the bonus of my wife enjoying the show. Lets see how its pans out and if its good enough to warrant re commissioning or it heads for 1 series oblivion...

I really need to get to watching this show.

No problems Racetrack, not boring at all. I do the exact same thing myself.  Unfortunately the 3 episode rule leads to me having a stock pile of shows to watch. Especially those that trusted sources say got better later in the series.

I didn't even get through an episode, as I found it hard to suspend disbelief.  The crash scene was laughable where they descended 3000m in a second but their impact barely ruffled anyone's hair apart from the mum who got a busted leg.  The freezing water when they tried to get their gear from the sunken ship was totally bonkers with the water freezing from the bottom up, the complete opposite of reality.  The mother appeared to be a total smart-bottom, with a major downer on her husband who we found out she had planned to leave behind on earth initially, after fudging her son's (Will) scores so that he could go along.  "No need for a divorce now love, I'll just leave you on earth and take all the kids away from you".  Lovely.  Then we have her condescending to hubby again about leaving Will (who isn't at all bright so far, just more of a snivelling coward) who wasn't in any immediate danger to rescue their daughter who only had a few minutes to live.  I turned off pretty quickly after that, as all the jeopardy was triggered by people just refusing to do as they're told by people who are supposed to know better, and no consequences seem to follow. 

Did they every explain why the daughter that got stuck in the ice is darker skinned than all the other pasty-white kids?  previous marriage? :hmmm:

I won't be back for another go - there's so much else out there that is at least trying to be entertaining.  It takes a lot to put me off watching a show too as I'll watch any old pony, but when you've got series like The Expanse (thankfully renewed by Amazon for S4 now), The Bridge (original Swedish/Norwegian version - 4 series of) and such, I don't feel compelled to give it a chance. :shrug:

last night I approached the final episode with high hopes of the robot switching to Terminator mode. But no. All can say is i'll never get all those hours back I wasted on this tripe. Hmm, time to re watch Discovery!