Partisan Pair, 1/48 Hurricane + Spitfire. Spitfire done, Hurricane too!!!

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks Patrice.

They make quite a big difference don't they, and they are quite colourful.

Yes they surely do very colourful and unusual ...

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1

Update time.

Got quite a bit done yesterday. With the decals all applied and glossed over the weathering could begin which has consisted of a wash for the panel lines and some streaking applied and some chipping and dust added. After that I applied a coat of matt varnish and instead of using my usual Tamiya I used Windsor and Newton Galleria acrylic matt varnish after having seen it used by some other members on this forum and I must say I am really impressed with the results, it goes on really smoothly and does not give a "milky" finish that can sometimes happen with other brands. Anyway enough waffle here is how she looks now.

The upper-surfaces.

DSC04578_zpsthqxf0xl.jpg

The under-surfaces.

DSC04579_zpsyfvckam8.jpg

A closer look at the cockpit entrance area showing some light chipping and exhaust staining.

DSC04580_zpswurejcg9.jpg

And a look at another important factor not to overlook, weathering the national markings and other decals.

DSC04581_zps630fo7zb.jpg

Hopefully I will get her on her undercarriage today, we shall see.

One question I do have for all you experts out there is what would be the aerial fit? I know what kind of mast is fitted (basically a straight post) but cannot see in any of the pictures I have if there is a wire from it to the tail or is there are wires from the tail-planes to the fuselage sides, although the positions of some groundcrew iin some pictures does seem to discount this. Any help here would be very gratefully received.

Thanks for looking in, and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 5

Thanks Steve and Stix.

A bit more work done tonight (no pictures though) including a bit more weathering and fitting of some of the "fiddly bits" that I leave to the end so as to avoid breaking whilst handling the model, such as the aerial mast, rear view mirror etc. I hope to get a bit more time on her tomorrow and that should see her across the finish line, just the Hurricane to deal with after that! As well as the Cobra for the Huey GB and my next one for this which will be US Navy.

Craig.

• Like 1

And the Spit is finished!

I have really enjoyed this kit, yes there are a couple of "interesting" parts (the undercarriage for example) but on the whole the fit of parts is very good and the details are excellent, such as the cockpit.

Anyway here are some pics, I shall post some more in the gallery.

DSC04628_zpshvgukpjg.jpg

DSC04630_zps5xyvjxeg.jpg

DSC04635_zps2mmxciq3.jpg

This one shows the IFF aerial added under the starboard wing, this replaces the "cheese-cutter" wires which used to go from the tail-planes to the fuselage sides on earlier sets.

DSC04633_zpslppagjjx.jpg

And this next one shows the legend "Croat" written on the side of the filter, the aircraft from the squadron carried the names of different Yugoslav regions and ethnicities on their tropical filters.

DSC04634_zpsh6khv5tw.jpg

Thanks for looking in during the build, and please stay tuned for the continuing progress on the Hurricane.

Craig.

• Like 4

very neat Craig

I don't know if you noted this link in the PM I sent you

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=15329&finish=15&start=15

a load of 352 sq planes

here's G 

16_zps49c2e11f.jpg

one item that maybe too late, the Yugo planes all seem to  have had the Rotol propellers, you have fitted the deHaviiland type.

great finish, are you going to do some pics in natural  light with background?   that would  really set  the model off.

cheers

T

• Like 2

Thanks Troy,

I do still have the parts for the deHavilland prop so I could change it later, although I would need a new back-plate as Airfix only provide one and that is securely glued in place! To be honest I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

I will try and get some natural light pics later this week, weather permitting!

45 minutes ago, franky boy said:

That was quick! Nice work.

Did you know you've got the canopy centre section on the wrong way around.

James

Thanks James,

Yes I noticed the canopy just after I had posted the pictures, it wasn't fixed too securely in place though and has now been put on the right way round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks Troy,

I do still have the parts for the deHavilland prop so I could change it later, although I would need a new back-plate as Airfix only provide one and that is securely glued in place! To be honest I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

I will try and get some natural light pics later this week, weather permitting!

HI Craig

a quick look at  some  sprue/instructions  shots shows the kit has two  spinner backplates, the Rotol parts are all  on sprue D

DSCF8971_zps3838c289.jpg

or do you mean the rear mounting?

One problem with the Airfix graphic style instructions is they lack useful written details on alternative parts.

The De  Havilland spinner in the  kit  is a bit too long as well, one of the few glitches in the kit.

cheers

T

• Like 1

Nice one mate and not been torn apart by experts yet either!

Can't wait to see it on our table at Telfrod (amongst all of the finished this year models)

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind comments on the Spit guys, they are much appreciated.

Well here's proof that I have re-fitted the canopy the right way around.

DSC04639_zpsthziteux.jpg

And a little progress on the Hurricane.

All the gaps have been dealt with and the airframe given a coat of the same aluminium as the Spitfire in preparation for the same pre-shading technique which will be done in the next couple of days as I have to give some time to my AH-1 Cobra in the Huey GB.

DSC04641_zpsenmzucqt.jpg

DSC04642_zps8nsdzh8v.jpg

That's it for today and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Right then with the Cobra finished its time to crack on with the Hurricane.

After the photos above a form of pre-shading was done to the panel lines with my marker pens exactly like I did with the Spitfire. I have now applied a covering of Vallejo Azure Blue to the undersides and this is how she looks now.

DSC04698_zpszw2gkcfi.jpg

The darker lines can be seen beneath the blue but are not too pronounced as you can see in the closer picture below.

DSC04699_zps4ikwo8qd.jpg

Now I'm back on track with this one I hope to get the Middle Stone sprayed on tomorrow, after I've masked the undersides that is.

Stay tuned!

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 1

Quick update.

The upper surface colours have both been applied, for the middle stone I used Lifecolor (I really like these paints) which was then masked off and the dark earth applied for which I used Vallejo. After the masking was removed a minor miracle occurred in that no touching up was required! I have done a small amount of weathering to the top colours and some chipping both above and below but not too much as most of it will be done after the markings have been applied so that I can weather them too. Here is a shot of the upper surfaces.

DSC04700_zpst7l0shou.jpg

And a slightly closer shot of the port wing root area showing some of the weathering a bit better.

DSC04701_zpsktogb59c.jpg

Next job for today is to apply a few coats of Klear to get a nice shiny surface ready for decalling.

Thanks for looking in, and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 3

Managed to get the decals done yesterday. This proved to be a bit more problematic than I had hoped as the national markings on the Lift Here sheet were unfortunately unusable as the colours are way off from the real thing being much too light, this is a shame as the quality of them is very good and the individual aircraft letter and the serial number went on fine. This meant a search of the (somewhat large) decal stash to find replacements and these came from a Model Alliance sheet and an old Aeromaster one, these were fine for all the markings except the upper wing ones which are of a different style than the ones on the sheets so I got around this by placing the kit RAF markings on the upper wings followed by over laying the red star from the upper wing markings from the Model Alliance sheet and that seems to have sorted the issue.

Here are some pictures of how she looks at the moment.

DSC04704_zpspxjdmyoe.jpg

DSC04705_zpsgdtwaxkr.jpg

DSC04706_zpsplbkq8b3.jpg

I need to do some weathering of the markings and touching up of some paint and then I can get a matt coat on and start on the finishing touches.

As usual thanks for looking in and all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6