Airfix HC4 Sea King

Looks great,......I`ve not picked mine up yet but I`m looking forward to starting it even more now! Does the model come with a folded rotor option?

Cheers

Tony

Yeah, rotor and tail fold are both out of the box options Tony.

Looks very nice indeed, a lovely looking build Rodders but I do agree that the sand filter just doesn't look quite right with the grey decals. Black backed decal with grey to represent the mesh night have been better.

Eng

The rotors do not have the down angle of the real thing I may try and alter them next to time I would have liked the front spotlight to either be clear or at least have a decal. I also didn't like the way the canopy py went together but that's because I am ham fisted. Overall I would give the kit 8 out of 10 silly thing don't spoil the kit but a little more attention would have helped

Rodders

Looks good Rodder, would have had two myself before chrimbo but both my S-in-L and Bros failed to deliver. Looks like I'll have to shop online. As you say the filter boc decals are a but naff. Shame Airfix.

Colin

• Like 1

Has anyone used the sand filter from a Revell Mk 41 kit instead? This has the mesh moulded in, and would probably come up nicely with a dark wash.

I have a spare one from a kit I built as a Belgian Air Force Mk 48, and will try it myself when I get my hands on the HC4.

• Like 1

Steve the same thought was going through my head when I replied last night, the Revell sand filter is really nice, I have one built up that I will offer up against the Airfix item and see how they compare later. I think it might be the twist of the 2 outer blades that needs adjusting not so much the droop. In some pics the blades seem to sit flatter against the side of the fuselage.

The Revell kit seems quite hard to track down just now unfortunately, I see an opening here for someone to come up with a nice resin replacement!

Eng

• Like 1

Has anyone used the sand filter from a Revell Mk 41 kit instead? This has the mesh moulded in, and would probably come up nicely with a dark wash.

I have a spare one from a kit I built as a Belgian Air Force Mk 48, and will try it myself when I get my hands on the HC4.

I am going to have a go with the revel one next time but there is quite a difference in the sizes between the 2 so it may not be an option.maybe eng's idea of a resin replacement maybe the way to go along with a replacement rear rotor hub with seprate spider.

Rodders

Looks good Rodder, would have had two myself before chrimbo but both my S-in-L and Bros failed to deliver. Looks like I'll have to shop online. As you say the filter boc decals are a but naff. Shame Airfix.

Colin

You can do the sand filter colin :shutup:

I was speaking to Colin from Freightdog at Farnborough Modelfest about the Sea King and he mentioned that the sand filter wasn't that good and has he has plans to release an after market replacement for it. So fingers crossed it will be released soon. But I agree that Airfix with their new laser scanning techniques they could have done a better job in the first place.

• Like 1

I didn't realise the sand filters came in different sizes. Are they bespoke items for each operator?

I might be able to get my hands on an old Airwaves resin and PE sand filter (SC72124). Presumably this would be the right size for the HC4.

Edited by Steve Coombs
  • Like 1

As far as I'm aware Steve the sand filters are all the same, I'll confirm this with my Seaking source tomorrow!

Like I said in my original post, the Airfix sand filter is only let down by the choice of decal colours used.

Eng

• Like 1

Looks very nice indeed, first completed one I have seen. Agree with the sand filter and the point about the main rotor fold not twisting to sit lower, but that doesn't detract from the build which is very well done indeed, it looks like a Mk4 and sits like a Mk4. Have you built the Revell Seaking? If so how would you rate that build to the Airfix kit? Is the Airfix kit a game changer?

Thanks for showing

Bob

• Like 1

Hey Dave,

The kit does come with the old flat fronted barn door type intake guard too. Think this is probably intended for the forthcoming Mk.3.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

Took these pics last night of the Revell sand filter (on the right in the pics) and the new Airfix unit, as it has been asked earlier if the Revell unit will fit the Airfix kit.

First pic is looking down on the two units from above, the Revell unit is very slightly wider and the Airfix has much longer discharge tubes (don't know if that's what they're called but it sounds good! Think this is where any solid particles are dumped overboard)

6EB18B5E-9EB5-4D69-BEDB-B0DD639DCE82_zps

Second pic shows the units side on and the Revell item is very slightly flatter than the Airfix item at the rear

A60B6031-8BB9-4521-A270-B45A40C5F12D_zps

An aftermarket unit would be the perfect solution, otherwise you're looking to source a Revell kit. I did offer the Revell item up to the Airfix kit and it would probably suffice but I had no way of knowing how high it would sit above the cockpit to ensure the back end aligned with the engine inlets.

Hope this is of interest to you all.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

From photos of the real thing, the discharge tubes (or whatever they're called) look to be a bit on the short side for the Revell filter. If the general dimensions of the Revell filter itself are OK, it shouldn't be too much of a trial to attach the longer Airfix tubes.

I'm still waiting for notification that my HC4 is in stock, otherwise I'd be comparing filters myself.

Not quite shivering with antici ... pation, but getting there!

Ok, I haven't opened my Airfix kits yet and still not sure which era or even version I am going to build, however, looking at the pictures the kits seem ok. A few errors but then no kit is perfect.

Think I may do a raspberry ripple version, time will tell.

Look forward to seeing more variations of the mighty HC MK4.

Eng, you need to post an update of yours ;-)

• Like 1

Ok, I haven't opened my Airfix kits yet and still not sure which era or even version I am going to build, however, looking at the pictures the kits seem ok. A few errors but then no kit is perfect.

Think I may do a raspberry ripple version, time will tell.

Look forward to seeing more variations of the mighty HC MK4.

Eng, you need to post an update of yours ;-)

• Like 1