I got the RCAF P-40K unmasked and decals on:

IMG_1419_zps3o858i0m.jpg

Unmasking the main canopy went better than I could have hoped, but unmasking the side-view windows revealed that they are too thick, or the bay is too shallow. I hadn't noticed this, as I installed them already masked, and just thought it was the masking protruding from the bay. But, if you look at previous pics above, it is pretty clear that the windows are sticking out.

I was afraid that removing them and trying to enlarge the bay at this point would only lead to worse results, so I used paint to try and hide the defects as best as possible.

On the bright side, this is the first time I've tried doing subtle color variations in the scheme with an airbrush - following some advice from Mish in her wonderful Flying Tiger thread - and it turned out pretty successful.

The roundels are from an Xtradecal roundels pack, and the serials are from a Kits-World P-51 serials and lettering pack. The yellow serials are individual numbers that had to be applied separately, so don't look too close!

• Like 7

When a 10 ton bus, kills the both of us. To die by your side, such a heavenly way to die! ~

I checked out the Bunnymen tonight. I liked it. And I ended up way late in the pub. I will feel awful "tomorrow". But I'm OK with that. :bouncy:

• Like 1

Unmasking the main canopy went better than I could have hoped, but unmasking the side-view windows revealed that they are too thick, or the bay is too shallow. I hadn't noticed this, as I installed them already masked, and just thought it was the masking protruding from the bay. But, if you look at previous pics above, it is pretty clear that the windows are sticking out.

On the bright side, this is the first time I've tried doing subtle color variations in the scheme with an airbrush - following some advice from Mish in her wonderful Flying Tiger thread - and it turned out pretty successful.

....The yellow serials are individual numbers that had to be applied separately, so don't look too close!

I had to look hard to see the windows sticking out, so I agree with you, don't touch them! And the yellow serials looks just fine to me. :goodjob:

As for the tone variation, I'd like to see a better picture, because with that light one can't really see much (not that I'm in a position to criticize someone else's photographs :banghead: , I'm just very interested in the technique)

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks everybody!

Giemme - Mish put down a base for her camo scheme, and then blended in lighter colors on her Flying Tiger build. I tried to get a better pic of mine, but I didn't make my lighter shade light enough to really show up well on camera. I'm pretty happy with how it looks though - especially since I didn't ruin it completely in my first attempt!

She also used artists ink pen's for pre-shading, another technique you may be interested in.

PC - With your Sword short-run experience, I've no doubt that your P-40K's will turn out quite stylish, and narrated by quotable and pithy remarks along the way. Just watch out for those dang windows, and the wing to fuselage fit.

Here is the USAAF P-40K with several coats of Future/Klear over the black and yellow:

IMG_1424_zpsnixudxza.jpg

With some trepidation, I applied the Mr Super Metallics silver thinned with Mr Leveling Thinner:

IMG_1429_zpsd6ct0kvm.jpg

Duncan was completely right when he said that they spray just like any other lacquer paint, but you end up with a metallic finish. They were very forgiving and docile. I could probably have thinned them just a bit more as I was a little tentative with the first coat and ended up with a little bit of a pebbly finish. I think it would have gone on even smoother if I had just gone for a wet coat straight off or had thinned it a little more.

I removed the masking and the canopy turned out OK, I think. The below pic is definitely of the 'good' side.

IMG_1432_zpsfi3cqvr2.jpg

Overall, I'd definitely recommend the Mr Super Metallics. The finish is just as good if not better than MM metalizer, and while expensive, I think you might come out ahead as they are not pre-thinned like metalizer. I think I'll get many more models painted with a bottle of Mr Super Metallics than with a bottle of buffing metalizer.

• Like 6

Haven't been near the Internet for a few days and I can see you haven't been sitting on your hands.

This NMF does look very smart.

Great job!

JR

• Like 1

Got the props and spinners together, both required some putty:

IMG_1435_zpsswn8qkac.jpg

Then got to work getting the landing gear attached.

IMG_1442_zpsnds6zcsk.jpg

I should have noticed before this point, but the Sword main gear axles don't fit the tire hubs, they're too big. I don't have the right sized drill bit to match the axles, so I cut them short and butt joined them to the tire hub with superglue.

Well, it's standing on its own feet now.

IMG_1445_zpsfipbfkrk.jpg

I also printed out the serial number for the silver P-40 on decal paper.

IMG_1440_zpsshnysyq9.jpg

Most of the markings are for a Hasegawa B-24H, but the '29829' is for this build. Of course, I just checked them (usually let them dry overnight before spraying on clear varnish) and they've run all over the place. I've never had that happen.

Maybe Sword made the decal paper too.

• Like 4

I should have noticed before this point, but the Sword main gear axles don't fit the tire hubs, they're too big. I don't have the right sized drill bit to match the axles, so I cut them short and butt joined them to the tire hub with superglue.

Well, it's standing on its own feet now.

Totally classic Sword! Takes me back.

• Like 2

HT, I really like the Mr. Super Metallics. On my next NMF build, I'm planning on using Uschi pigments. If that goes well, I want to try a NMF Mustang with wings painted in Super Metallics, and the fuselage in Uschi pigments in order to differentiate between the aluminum lacquer and bare aluminum portions. We'll see how it goes.

As an aside, the silver P-40 was apparently aluminum lacquer rather than NMF. At first I was disappointed at learning this, but then realized that Mr. Super Metallics is an aluminum lacquer itself. So even more realistic than intended then!

Well the first Sword is complete:

IMG_1446_zpsqgbtafnm.jpg

I weathered it some with pastel chalks, and added the antennas.

• Like 7

Totally classic Sword! Takes me back.

Axles, we didn't have no axles in my day, not even proper undercarriage legs, pure luxury... (apologies and dead parrot in the post); This is the front UC leg from my Sword P-80A/B... at least you got an axle.

37ucleg.jpg

Anil the Unstable

• Like 3

Well done on completing another masterpiece mate. Very nicely weathered ie not overdone. You seem to be getting the hang of these short run kits now, just shows that if you take your time and check the fit a good result can be produced. :thumbsup:

• Like 1