Scratch Built 1937 Mercedes-Benz L 10000 Heavy Truck

Hi,

regarding their racers and road cars it often recedes into the background that the Mercedes truck history is equally interesting. Among numberless designs the 1937 L 10000 is outstanding. In my oppinion it is the most attractive and most impressive Mercedes truck ever made. In 1937 it looked like this (photos by courtesy of Daimler-Benz AG/ Daimler AG):

comp_Werksfoto168-vi.jpg
comp_Werksfoto268-vi.jpg

Unfortunately no original vehicle has survived. Only a O 10000, i. e. a bus equipped as a rolling post office of the pre-war German Reichspost, is displayed at the new Mercedes museum in Stuttgart since the museum opening.

Compiling information for a scratch build remained unsufficient for years, but the Mercedes museum archives were extremely helpful. They sent me lots of photos and photostats with most measurements absolutely free of charges.

However all original scale drawings had been lost during WW2, hence a lot of own drawing, arithmetics and eyeballing was necessary.

The model is completely scratchbuilt except the rims (modified Revell parts), the headlights and the Mercedes star on top of the radiator. In 2005 I spent more than 1000 hours building it.
This is the result:

comp_MBL10000001-vi.jpg
comp_MBL10000002-vi.jpg
comp_MBL10000003-vi.jpg
comp_MBL10000004-vi.jpg
comp_MBL10000005-vi.jpg
comp_MBL10000006-vi.jpg
comp_MBL10000007-vi.jpg

Edited by Plastheniker
New picture links
  • Like 20

Hi Jurgen,

there's only one place that this beauty deserves to be and that's at the Mercedes Museum!

What a fantastic recreation you have built.

Some of the older Mercedes trucks were fine looking beasts and I reckon you've selected the best of the lot.

Should I win the Euro Lotto, I'd contact Mercedes and have a custom built RV built by them, on the lines of those 2733's that were made as luxurious hunting and expedition vehicles for some chaps in Mongolia! The second thing I'd do is to commission you to build a replica for me!

Regards

Reggie

Edited by The Cameraman

Thanks for the feedback!

Accept a severe wrist-slap for not posting WIP of this amazing piece of work!

Roy.

That's a fantastic piece of work - congratulations on a great result. Any WIP shots would be fascinating if you have them.

Cheers,

Roger

I am sorry, but I have no WIP pictures.

Maybe I mentioned in another topic that I stopped writing magazine articles many years ago because I found taking pictures and making notes while building more and more disruptive. Obviously multi-tasking is nothing for old men.

Personally I prefer writing and reading tutorials because they are (in my oppinion) of more general use.

Edited by Plastheniker
  • Like 1

Amazing work. Please you tell us more about how you built it.

Since I built the model almost 10 years ago my memories are more or less fragmentary.

Generally spoken the build was not that difficult because the cab consists mainly of plane panels and the chassis is not very sophisticated.

Time-consuming were the (almost invisible) rear suspension and the accurate scribing of the side-boards.

Giving the roof and the fenders the right curved shape was the only difficult thing. The curved roof got its shape by an old plastic coffee filter used as a substructure, and the fenders required a lot of putty and a lot of sanding.

Making the six big 13.50-22 tyres from styrene (I found no suitable kit or after-market tyres and casting caused too many air bubbles) was really boring.

Anyway during the build I learned a lot that was helpful for the following scratch project that was much more difficult and became my favourite model. I am going to show it (a 1951 Büssing 12000 U 6x4 underfloor truck) later.

Tremendous model, really very impressive! The real thing must have been quite strange to drive at first with all that front end overhang!

Indeed, the historic truck brochure says " Turning circle appr. 30 metres" (!)

Some typical Berlin city busses had the same chassis. Driving them was certainly no job for (neur)asthenics.

comp_O1000068_zps336ca643.jpg

• Like 2

Jürgen.

BEAUTIFUL.....it is for sure Super looking Truck..

I have seen similar looking trucks like this in use in India but couldn't truthfully say if they are Mercedes Benz. ..the only thing

is that the front is elongated as this one...

Jürgen your modeling has depicted the real Mercedes Benz truck most IMPRESSIVELY.

KUDOS....... :worthy::heart:

Thanks for the further comments!

Jürgen.

BEAUTIFUL.....it is for sure Super looking Truck..

I have seen similar looking trucks like this in use in India but couldn't truthfully say if they are Mercedes Benz. ..the only thing
is that the front is elongated as this one...

Jürgen your modeling has depicted the real Mercedes Benz truck most IMPRESSIVELY.

KUDOS....... :worthy::heart:

Indeed, these could have been Mercedes post-war trucks. The Indian company TATA built (and is still building?) slightly modified Mercedes designs for the Indian market and sold them under the TATA label.

• 1 year later...
On 05/03/2014 at 01:30, Plastheniker said:

Thanks for the further comments!

Indeed, these could have been Mercedes post-war trucks. The Indian company TATA built (and is still building?) slightly modified Mercedes designs for the Indian market and sold them under the TATA label.

Tata used to build the Mercedes 312W as the Tata 1210D for many years. Now they build their own design trucks, though most of them have Mercedes Design Shadows in them. Unfortunately Village Photos is currently not working, so I will post pictures later.