Airfix Kingfisher-The Avian Variety.Finished.

Great to see these Airfix wildlife kits getting attention. If there is still build time after Blue Thunder I think I'll get my tits out. Sure they were under a fiver!

• Like 1

Hello again Chums,

Henrik,back in the days when I was a quarryman what you now see looks more or less like what I used to spend all day gawping at.What I'm intending to do is make the base look right but suitably understated so as not to detract from the main attraction.There is much to do yet and I am certain that most of it will be hidden,but we will all know that it is there :evil_laugh: .

Jorgen,good to see you on board old chum.This is really a paint by numbers job,only you get to choose the colours.I'm considering expanding the base with a view to making a display case to put it all in but I think that might contravene the aftermarket rules :nono: .

Natter,thanks for the link.I was going to use your build as a reference.Between you and Cmatthewbacon the job seems to be pretty much stitched up.

Jockster,

Parus_major_%26_Cyanistes_caeruleus_1_%2

Photo from Wikipedia.

Gerrem out fer't lads.You know you want to...

Jockster (again),no.These are great tits.

GreatTit002.jpg

Photo from Wikipedia.

Snapper dear heart,please don't over-enthuse the boy,next thing we'll know is the need for bromide in his tea.

Got a bit more done today.

y4mdQIYQzXD6Sg4LYSy9zH1FjlwtbsP52R5qSvse

The paint dried overnight to give the matt finish that I wanted so I mixed a drop of Khaki Drill with some gloss varnish to start making the wet bt look wet and silty.There's a lot more to do here yet.

y4mlgSGQNyhLcdiz01Sa2T8dePw_hw1KhURBWQtX

The twig had a spot of thinned grey added all round.While that was drying Fishy had a little attention.

y4mMxTPmhHpxrIuo456KBP5JeqsnDl8qWOPrsz6Z

Plasticote Chrome Silver from a rattlecan.This stuff is very good for 1/24th lorry wheel rims too.

y4mGlkawKwS88ukf_HeVBeOgjIpSqA3v1qua7pD3

On a whim I decided to try to add a bit in the way of the rings at each end of the twig.

y4mzCZ8ANxah_ChF-7b4nozAOBaIxSLi3JiV0FBJ

The photography looks better than the real thing just now,but this is a work in progress and I will think of a way of making the real thing look better than the piccies.

I also vegetated for a while by drybrushing a lighter green onto the vegetation.

y4m3wDFieipQMqEoZj7BWwQbozK6r5z0Ysdc1dqz

More soon Chums,thanks for looking in.

Oh,by the way,Jockster,these are really great tits Skybirds86Prentice3_zps40b26fe

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 4

Snapper, yes, I'm positive that they are a pair of 'great tits'! I'll have a good look at them later and let you know in the morning!

Alex, thank you for those great tit pictures, they will come in handy when I get around to playing with mine! Mind you, the last picture has been moved. Perhaps they were too great? :bouncy:

Wow, that paintwork of the base parts is awesome! It will look great. It looks so easy, but it never is when I try...

BTW, nice to see the blue tits and the great tits together. That's how our garden looks during winter, we have lots of them and they eat huge amounts of peanuts, that we have buy in large bags every second week. Which we so happily do. :wub:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Chums,

Jockster,the last pic is just to keep you guessing.

Jorgen,many thanks.There is still more to do but that is just a continued series of applications of gloss varnish until there's enough depth to look like water.

Done a bit more over the last few days.

y4mz7hL5kpsOimo9JGk3vFTw5xtq4GRhIX7c67xo

More glueing and taping up on the body,and a spot of filling.

y4mNTgCn4WIS0Q1xrNwZC5AW21nw4RbBtuAcTIuC

Another coat of gloss varnish on the gravelwork.

y4mUTnF6reSrlfViY32x0PZwjw93YpdUsfWrpI8O

Horace received a bit of attention too.

y4mEjwhQtEdRTllRQnC7ABVhc1v3tYIHy1oT3ZVK

White underneath,two browns on the top and a mix of black and brown down the side.

y4m9TvBXR1CuwGauZ58Qq-VwO4qP1CDXp1hga4LP

I'm trying to emulate this,

cimg6768.jpg?w=487

Which can be found here http://microfishingintheuk.wordpress.com

More soon chums.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 1

G'day Chums,

MPaul,I think these kits are 1/1 scale,Horace is about 2 1/2 inches long which is about as big as I've ever seen a minnow.

Natter,you betcha.By the time I get Basil finished he's going to be Hank Marvin.

Mark,Wolwe,Stew,Col,thanks for the kind words,glad you're enjoying the fun.

Had another go this morning

y4m7hUnkJNv4hKmw1Z7tpu3juSAIqc7olTtgT7ml

The gravel is nearly there.Up to now I've been using Humbrol 35 Gloss Varnish mixed with a drop of 72 Khaki Drill to represent slightly silty water in the low spot.The varnish is a bit yellow on its own so from now on I'm going to use Klear to build up the depth to cover the stones.Most of this won't be seen when the twig is in place but we will all know that it's there.

I added a coat of yellow and green mixed to the reeds a couple of days ago and,now it's dried a satisfying matt,I'm happy with the look of them so I'm calling them done for now.

y4mV7HgcEyPKtakuIhHDZrubDXr5ZLpdVHGfdACi

I decided to fit them to the base.

y4m9A3WY7kisXPmfEAo56NVvVxv7hMGRHIh1NZCt

From underneath the holes look a bit on the big side.

y4mGQ7oznPx7FhhbHOMGgSXnjPwGG4DRZfnaqJmQ

The locating pegs are not exactly a close fit so I decided to try another one of my little dodges.I heated the end of a length of sprue from the kit and in turn,with the appropriate reed in place,pushed the hot end into each hole.This made an instant filler which will also glue into place and is,if done right,one of the strongest and most reliable methods of sorting out this type of snag.I then poured in the Contacta with a vengeance and this is now propped and setting.

y4mvpkR_pCY9HKA_SrntFX6imzBYrcpMNPYN91L5

No prizes for spotting the one that didn't quite land properly.

Horace has had overnight to dry so he had a little more attention.Another dry brush of white,a few dots of Khaki Drill to lighten the brownery (gets everywhere that stuff bit it's very handy) and a few dots of black along the flanks.

y4m9q6SzzNc2eFLrJsHnwWMhNJbbdIIpG88QCJQs

y4mX0v03-wxThuq35W06QepfX0hBNFRADXu-Yots

A little pink mixed in a drop of klear will be the next coat then I think that will be almost there.

More soon chums,thanks all for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 3

wow, looking great!

When are u broadcasting the episode about wolves? Cannt wait. :popcorn:

oh wait, got driven away here a bit.. its like watching National Geographic here :winkgrin:

Seriously great work! Maybe you should start to build some cage, because if you finish the birds like the fish and reeds, its going to fly! :)

And watch your home pets.. hungry cat vs your little zoo, that could not happen good.. :)

Great stuff - these old Airfix kits' always have fit issues - having done the London Icons set, there was a lot more sanding and filler used there thah I would have hoped and those moulds are ancient. Looking forward to seeing the finish of this

G'day Chums,

Jorgen,many thanks.I'm watching your progress too and so far it is truly impressive :speak_cool: .

Dragonborn,so am I,please trust me so am I :bounce:

Jockster,have you thought about tweeting them? :bouncy:

Pete,thanks for looking in.Hope this doesn't disappoint.

Wolwe,many thanks.This can probably be described as nature at its crudest.That's being generous.

Andy,this one is potentially epileptic.It might fit.

Not much to report but I'm working on it.

y4mz9XdrhoIEu9Kvj1Xaa57yFaRXGfV9TE9OZ2_d

I closed up one joint on the other side of this and then one this side decided to crack open.This is not a hostage,honest!

Now,dear reader,I have a feeling that you are aware that I'm not happy with progress on the twig.Well I was out on site the other day and I found a real one that is just begging to be copied.

y4mPAd0D5bV6I4E64CxndTvs15PWx93aX8sYIK9n

Right size and shape and all.Mine looks nothing like so I'm going to make art mirror life and attempt to replicate the real thing.Do you remember what I wrote at the start of this thread about getting bogged down and just clap it together and paint it?

:bristow::rofl:

More soon chums,thank you for your patience while looking in and finding not much happening.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 4

Glad you pointed out it's not a hostage situation, otherwise I would have wondered about the poor bird... It's clearly putting up a much harder fight than I had to deal with, I was actually surprised by my small Bullfinches relatively good fit. I'm tempted to cut the parts for my Kingfisher from the sprues and see if it's equally demanding.

I think you will have good help from the real twig in the painting process. I've had two pieces of fire wood I took from our stash and placed in a corner of my workbench since I started, which have been really good to look at, if nothing else for pure inspiration. I placed a stone there as well the other day, but that was harder to draw from. Don't know why haven't thought about them in my photos.

Will be most interesting to see the work here progress.

• Like 1

Hello again Chums,

Jorgen,your bullfinches seemed to go together fairly well from here.If I were to build another kingfisher I would work the body in a different sequence.I would start with head to sides and work towards the tail from there.

At last the body is together.

y4mdjYIlXdESS9qyaec-9PGlyZXCuaz4xuQfV5rr

There are a few gaps but stretched sprue will cope with those.

y4mqLOmzJrtIv7Xv-gr7r9S_SQnh5Pyw16EM_cQD

This was allowed to set overnight.In the meantime,having given the twig the Mr Muscle treatment,

y4mrv047YoBMSdjBsETHGQ2jVVPvhXm58KsQafnu

time to start the paint job again.Today the stretched sprue filling Basil's gaps was fettled to look like its surrounding areas and the one concession to Milliput was made.

y4mE3ZArFv3cK_lL58JTe8ehe5kOPrNmwCub94P2

This is where we are with the twig.Again.

y4mZlQfdZ0of5NInhsxXL8_VtnzeeVWLitKo8-Up

I'm going to cook my lunch now,and then try to work out how to make a convincing Lichen from Milliput.Wish me luck chums.

With the cooking that is.

More soon,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 1