HpH de Havilland Hornet – Sea Hornet F Mk22 TT202

airscale

Another area you will have to be aware of when you come to it is the exhaust cutouts on the nacelles. Look at post 20 and you will see that the cutout broadens to the rear and the lower edge slopes down. This is because the nacelle gets wider to the back and as the exhausts angle down the underside of the pipes would foul the lower edge of the cutout in the side panel. For general info, on a/c (NF.21's, PR.22's) fitted with the shrouds, these would not have the Siamese fifth, five stack type exhausts fitted, but the three banjo type ejectors. These were sometimes flown without shrouds.

John

Thanks John for dropping in - and for another steer on the details

..I appreciate every pearl and will do my best to cover every inch of the aeroplane - I have cast a single pipe exhaust master as I will have one merlin 'naked' - then I realised I needed 4 different masters - two for each single stub, each side, and two for the siamese ones, each side

one for a rainy day I think...

Hi Peter,

The kit instrument panel, seat, and general cockpit parts are not accurate in size or shape unfortunately. Best do your own from scratch.

Thanks David, and thanks for all your help by email - I will be scratchbuilding all of it - I do on every build I do as it is the part I enjoy the most - the kit has a lot of nice detail and I will use as much as I can, just might move things around and add what I can

so, in Doctor Hornet's surgery today..

..a few more mods are needed at the rear of the cockpit opening - the fuselage cut-out is further forward than in the kit and shaped differently to the real one..

the kit has a sloped, radiused shape that needs fairing in with the fuselage as the opening follows it's lines.. I cut a clear template to show what I mean..

WIP98_zpsccab6b96.jpg

..I used simple 'wands' on a bit of thick card held over the cooker and draped over the fuselage shape..

WIP99_zpsaf82ca2e.jpg

..cut, fitted, smothered in CA and sanded...

WIP100_zps501133d8.jpg

..after careful measurement I cut it to shape..

WIP101_zpsd471d900.jpg

..getting the basic shapes so I am happy before cutting the fuselage in half again to fit out the cockpit..

WIP102_zpsb20ca9b4.jpg

...speaking of measurements - thanks to both David Collins and John Adams I managed to dimesion the cockpit elements I needed - hopefully of help if anyone is as barmy as me

..they are just my 1/32 version of the info I now have so don't sue me hmmm.gif but then the info is first hand

WIP103_zpsbee81ef3.jpg

..thats it for today..

TTFN

Peter

Edited by airscale

Hi Peter,

To avoid confusion, in your post you have labelled it "Dimensions in mm" - this only refers to those in at 1/32 scale in GREEN circles, as the ones in blue are still 1:1 in inches.

Hope this helps.

well spotted David!

have corrected the image now

Peter

David

Please could you confirm the nose tip to rear wndscreen frame measurement. (shown as 39.7mm) . I am working from a drawing 3-3F1 and I make it 41.5 mm. in 1/32 scale.

John

Hi John

I derived that from the dimensions David provided by taking:

Nose tip to main spar @ 79" (62.71mm)

Minus - Main spar to armoured seat back @ 6.75" (5.36mm)

Minus Seat back to bottom of canopy A-frame @ 23" (18.26mm)

62.71mm - 23.62mm = Nose tip to A-frame @ 39.09mm (not 39.7 shown)

I would rather trust your drawings than my maths thats for sure!

Peter

Hi, I think this is something we need to be correct on so that we're not making mistakes on your build and my drawing isn't wrong. Just for starters the distance shown on the DH loft/Lines drawing for nose tip to main spar datum is shown as 80" which I make as 63.5 and I'm using 25.4 as my inch to mm conversion. I make the Screen' A' frame base at 41.5mm from the nose tip which agrees with another DH drawing.

John

Just a note to say how much I'm enjoying this thread. Its fast turning into a definitive Hornet reference, which is no bad thing at all. If only a major model company would give us a decent 1/48th model.

Having seen your Sea Fury at Telford, Peter - I am waiting with baited breath to see how this models turns out.

Admiringly Jonners

evening folks :)

John, David - thanks for the info - I have corrected the drawing as the last thing I want to do is add to the mystery wrapped in an enigma that this aircraft is!

Jonners - very kind words - thank you

..little bit more done and my favourite part - getting the cockpit together...

..started by scaling and printing an image of the panel to 1/32 dimensions and using paper adhesive to stick it to some card..

WIP104_zps1fc3c2b4.jpg

...punched out the appropriate apertures and carefully scored the outline...

WIP105_zps958c328a.jpg

...broke away the waste...

WIP106_zps35fe3eac.jpg

...and after peeling off the printout, cleaned up the part..

WIP107_zpsed8685d4.jpg

..started adding details - so far only the engine start buttons and a couple of those brilliant airscale bezels :coolio:

WIP108_zpsbcba6d77.jpg

...also started to make the armoured seat back - I stuck an old bit of a pen into a drill to shape the headrest...

WIP110_zpsdd302cd7.jpg

..thats all for now

TTFN

Peter

• Like 3

Excellent work. Its hard to find words that describe how sickeningly good the work is.... Perhaps this is a better way of expressing what we are all doing to our computer screens watching this excellent thread..

h5DBFE0E1_zps453f31d6.jpg

• Like 3

This is one of the best "build" threads I've ever read.

The quality of the workmanship is second to none and the instructions are very detail oriented and understandable.

The "ego" issues are no where to be seen - how refreshing!!

Thanks go to everyone involved. I'm looking forward to additional information on the build.

I've tried to order the kit directly from HpH but had problems actually booking the order.

Any suggestions??

Thanks again.

Al Keller

• Like 1

thank you chaps for dropping in :thumbsup: and your kind comments

Al - I think Bob is pulling your leg! :coolio: I would email HpH if you are having trouble ordering - I picked mine up at Telford SMW so note sure what the problem would be...

been fiddling about making the instrument panel for the Hornet - I had made a start but afeter some guidance from David Collins, I found the Sea Hornet IP is slightly different to the one I modelled - he also sent 2 pics of TT202's cockpit which is incredible as now I can build it exactly as it was

..this is the cockpit section David is restoring - quite amazing... thanks and full credit to his website for the image and for all his help - this would all be guesswork otherwise..

WIP115_zps7b285896.jpg

..having scaled a diagram of the Sea Hornet panel, I started the same process as before, punching out the dial apertures.. the duff one is on the right..

WIP111_zps79236e59.jpg

..I detailed the new one with airscale bezels and PE details - I have some seconds that were bent in production or damaged in some way so I use those..

WIP112_zps3fc86871.jpg

...built up the structures as best as I could from the photo's I have..

WIP114_zps992b7732.jpg

WIP113_zps2b9aab11.jpg

..still more to do on this, then it's the Blind Flying Panel and then I will glaze and put our instruments in

..love this bit!

TTFN
Peter

• Like 3

Sorry Al, didn't mean to cause confusion. I only just re-found their website, but I didn't place an order, or pretend to. I agree that an e-mail (there's one given on their site) is the place to start. Or, alternatively, depending on where you are you might be able to get it through someone else, but it might also cost you (even) more. Alas, I'm not even going to ask Santa for one of these this year...

bob

Sorry Al, didn't mean to cause confusion. I only just re-found their website, but I didn't place an order, or pretend to. I agree that an e-mail (there's one given on their site) is the place to start. Or, alternatively, depending on where you are you might be able to get it through someone else, but it might also cost you (even) more. Alas, I'm not even going to ask Santa for one of these this year...

bob

It should be pointed out that Bob's suffering from turkey poisoning, due to a thanksgiving over-eat :)

Jonners - d'inde-ified so to speak. Gobble Gobble