HpH de Havilland Hornet – Sea Hornet F Mk22 TT202

airscale

wow - thanks for the welcome guys :thumbsup:

...I find it really encouraging to hear what folk think

Holy Cow - you've done all that in a week????

It looks lovely so far. Will you tackle the nose /windscreen hight issue?

Jonners, well impressed

Hi Jonners - not quite in a week - I started the Tamiya merlin before Telford so had a bit of a head start..

on the nose profile - it looks like it is the only real shape issue so far - I cleaned up the fuselage and tacked it together with the canopy to show how the kit comes and with the help of notes and a nose profile from fellow member John Aero on the Rumourmonger thread I added a straight line from the canopy sill - it looks like the nose profile rises too high into the windshield..

WIP76_zps6fedcd3e.jpg

..I also added a rough template from a side view to confirm it - it doesn't show too well on the photo, but I can definately see what needs to be done..

WIP77_zpsdf91614b.jpg

..two things I think - 1. get rid of the upper nose and reduce the profile 2. reduce the height of the windshield (and maybe make a new rear canopy)

..shouldn't be a problem - I just did the same on a Hobbycraft Sea Fury..

WIP951_zps747f96f6.jpg

it's a brilliant kit and will be a great replica - just to me I think it worth going the extra mile to get it right

It is a pleasure to see this large scale Hornet come together in such detail. I am supporting the build with as much information as I have.

Yes, lets make this the definitive 1/32 scale Hornet thread.

David - thanks for dropping in and thank you. I really appreciate the help you have kindly given me - but I don't know if i can live up to this being the definitive Hornet thread! I hope to refine the excellent kit HpH have produced and maybe expose some of the little known facts about this wonderful aircraft - and hopefully at the end of it (in a year or two so don't hold your breath..) have a really accurate model that will stand scrutiny from you, John and the other experts more familiar than I with it

TTFN & back soon

Peter

You, sir, have got my attention. :analintruder: Can you please let me know where you are sourcing all the nuts, bolts, and fittings from?

Hi Andy - I get the nuts & bolts from Scale Hardware - not cheap but totally brilliant - all the little fittings I use are from my own PE sets under the airscale brand - we do bezels and cockpit details in all scales except 1/72

thanks for stopping by :bye:

Peter

wow - thanks for the welcome guys :thumbsup:

...I find it really encouraging to hear what folk think

Hi Jonners - not quite in a week - I started the Tamiya merlin before Telford so had a bit of a head start..

on the nose profile - it looks like it is the only real shape issue so far - I cleaned up the fuselage and tacked it together with the canopy to show how the kit comes and with the help of notes and a nose profile from fellow member John Aero on the Rumourmonger thread I added a straight line from the canopy sill - it looks like the nose profile rises too high into the windshield..

WIP76_zps6fedcd3e.jpg

..I also added a rough template from a side view to confirm it - it doesn't show too well on the photo, but I can definately see what needs to be done..

WIP77_zpsdf91614b.jpg

..two things I think - 1. get rid of the upper nose and reduce the profile 2. reduce the height of the windshield (and maybe make a new rear canopy)

..shouldn't be a problem - I just did the same on a Hobbycraft Sea Fury..

WIP951_zps747f96f6.jpg

it's a brilliant kit and will be a great replica - just to me I think it worth going the extra mile to get it right

David - thanks for dropping in and thank you. I really appreciate the help you have kindly given me - but I don't know if i can live up to this being the definitive Hornet thread! I hope to refine the excellent kit HpH have produced and maybe expose some of the little known facts about this wonderful aircraft - and hopefully at the end of it (in a year or two so don't hold your breath..) have a really accurate model that will stand scrutiny from you, John and the other experts more familiar than I with it

TTFN & back soon

Peter

Hi Peter,

The Hornet windscreen is mostly frameless. All kits, including this one have got it wrong. I will e-mail you details.

evening all..

Hi Peter,

The Hornet windscreen is mostly frameless. All kits, including this one have got it wrong. I will e-mail you details.

Thanks David - yes I can see from the pics it just has rods holding the glass faces together, and funnily enough have just built a mock up version!

I have been hopping about the build a bit just sussing out what is what in the kit. It is superb I have to say.

If anyone talks of the Hornet in model terms, very soon the discussion turns to the nose. Only very recently were accurate profiles published in the D&V book, before that all published plans had dimensional errors and therefore the kits derived from them. There is still no published accurate plan available but John Adams from Aeroclub has been collecting drawings and is 5 years into creating the first set. Thankfully he helped me out over on Rumourmonger with a nose profile so I have something to compare the kit to.

The HpH kit has a small issue in that the nose is not quite right as in my last post

..first step was to sand away the top of the nose, and the base of the windshield - thankfully the HpH nose is solid resin so it's a simple job. I also got rid of the canopy rails as I will replace these with scale parts later...

WIP78_zps12c3cf97.jpg

..obviously this also made the canopy the wrong shape to fit so a new one will be needed..

WIP80_zps2216e214.jpg

..I decided to make a mock-up canopy so I can get all the geometry right before starting on the cockpit and coaming - first step cut out some parts from K&S clear sheet...

WIP81_zpsd2dbfdf4.jpg

..bevelled the facing edges and ran a sharpie along them so I can see the angles...

WIP82_zpsd9d55ccd.jpg

..and ran thin CA along the joins to build it up - this is only a gash one so has glue & crap all over it :coolio:

WIP83_zps49e12282.jpg

..and now the profile is starting to look more like it should..

..the windshield is not quite the right height of angle at the back, and I need to work out how the flat sides fair into the curved fuselage, but good enough for now - thankfully David is around and I have his kind offer of pics & dimensions so can get it right soon..

WIP84_zpse72b2b69.jpg

..thats all for now folks

TTFN

Peter

Edited by airscale

This thread has just become even more interesting. First of all because of the errors in the nose and windscreen shape and then secondly because of how you are going about fixing those errors.

I have been transfixed by this a/c since seeing the conversion of the FROG Hornet to a Sea Hornet in Chris Ellis' 'How to make Model Aircraft' when I was a teenager (that was my bible then)...was and always has been a bucket list build for me. I was SO tempted at the HPH stall at Telford but I'm glad I can watch a masterful attempt instead like this!

The side screens fair into the fuselage with the metal fairings which take up the fuselage curves the lower edge of the glazing is straight. I have a drawing somewhere which I'll try and scan. David has done it for real and if it isn't on his site have a look on Key Publishing Forum because all the construction including the windscreen has been shown. It's too late for me to find it tonight. I may look tomorrow. It's probable that the HpH fuselage section is wrong.

Perhaps some figures will help. these are close but not down to the mm. Looking at the front armoured screen as a rhomboid the top edge of the glass is 9.5" (240mm). The base as a straight line is 16"(406mm)wide and the side edges 30"(760mm) long. The base of the side panels are 26"(660mm) and the top apex is 4"(100mm) forwards of the rear lower edge at the fuselage base The rear edge of the side screen being 19" (480mm) capped by the casting as per Davids post. Divide by 32 and this should give you something to play with. The wooden fuselage/cockpit top edge, where the canopy rails fit, steps up to the lower edge of the side screen. This is hidden by the metal fairings so in side view, the top edge of the metal fairing parts of the side screen and canopy, present a straight edge.

I think I'm right in saying that the bottom edge of the front screen remains straight and is hidden under the curve of the wooden nose profile.

Obviously you will have to fit to the kit fuselage. I make the overall width of the fuselage at the rear of the windscreen assembly, rear bottom edge 28".(710mm) across and about 25" inside the cockpit. Don't forget the metal cap at the top as David points out as this fairs in the screen assembly into the front edge of the canopy. (Look at my illustration in post 37)

John

• Like 1

Amazing - this is spectacular modeling ! Will be following along with you on this - thanks for sharing your work ! Great photography brings it all to life!

superb illustrations - thanks John - just means I need to build every bit I can see!

Perhaps some figures will help. these are close but not down to the mm. Looking at the front armoured screen as a rhomboid the top edge of the glass is 9.5" (240mm). The base as a straight line is 16"(406mm)wide and the side edges 30"(760mm) long. The base of the side panels are 26"(660mm) and the top apex is 4"(100mm) forwards of the rear lower edge at the fuselage base The rear edge of the side screen being 19" (480mm) capped by the casting as per Davids post. Divide by 32 and this should give you something to play with. The wooden fuselage/cockpit top edge, where the canopy rails fit, steps up to the lower edge of the side screen. This is hidden by the metal fairings so in side view, the top edge of the metal fairing parts of the side screen and canopy, present a straight edge.

I think I'm right in saying that the bottom edge of the front screen remains straight and is hidden under the curve of the wooden nose profile.

Obviously you will have to fit to the kit fuselage. I make the overall width of the fuselage at the rear of the windscreen assembly, rear bottom edge 28".(710mm) across and about 25" inside the cockpit. Don't forget the metal cap at the top as David points out as this fairs in the screen assembly into the front edge of the canopy. (Look at my illustration in post 37)

John

these are incredibly useful too - I have made a composite image from the kit fuselage and a dH drawing David sent me with the scaled dimensions from your list - I will make up another prototype canopy later tonight to these and see how that looks.

WIP85_zpscb03082c.jpg

also going to change the profile a little now I can see more about what is going on in this area

thanks again - super stuff

Peter

thanks chaps :thumbsup:

..had a go at sorting the nose out - it's not too bad in the kit, but part of my illness is to mess with stuff..

..made up a new mock-up windshield and as you can see if the measurements off the real aircraft are used the kit is a bit broad at the nose to fair it all in...

WIP86_zps07dcfd90.jpg

..nothing for it but to use some bits of resin casting block to give some body to the area as I would likely go right through the fuselage walls sanding the shape..

I want to get this area roughly sorted out so I can take the fuselage halves apart again and build up the cockpit - I can dremel out any excess from the interior...

WIP87_zps62b82385.jpg

..and after a sanding session...

WIP88_zps98818695.jpg

..and a shot of mr surfacer to see how it looks - still very rough and ready but it's a start and is nearer the true shape..

WIP89_zpsd0dace71.jpg

WIP90_zpsb3029db5.jpg

WIP91_zpsf4a42bf6.jpg

..until next time

TTFN
Peter

• Like 1

hello folks - back again :banghead:

so, today I finished and primed the shape around the nose, and built another mock windshield - this one scaled straight from measurements from David Collins real cockpit section - poor guy, I think I have been driving him mad :ninja:

..once I was happy it was time to separate the halves with one of Radu's brilliant micro saws - you can see the resin chunks I put in to allow the fuselage to be rounded and nipped in a bit at the windshield..

WIP92_zpsb95ade80.jpg

..and gone.... a bit of careful dremel action and the walls are thinned and nearly smooth enough to fit out the cockpit - it was important I got all the chopping out of the way early so the detail work won't get damaged later on..(and I know the internal dimensions to work from..)..

WIP95_zps5075f598.jpg

..glad thats over - I mocked it up with some of the kit cockpit parts and the new windshield - shame really as I will make all my own cockpit parts, but there is nothing wrong with the kit bits..

WIP96_zpsb9ecc48b.jpg

..also got back into familiar micro territory and started detailing the Merlin cylinder heads - lots to go yet and the bit I have been wasting lots of time fiddling about with is trying to make the spark plug heads - hopefully more of that next time...

WIP93_zps44dd6ef3.jpg

WIP97_zps1851c6bb.jpg

WIP94_zpsaaede789.jpg

..until next time my friends

TTFN
Peter

• Like 3