Golden Arrow

Bengalensis

Thanks a lot guys! I'm still happy with my gold finish a few days later, which is a relief.

I managed to do the rest of the basic airbrushing yesterday, so now it's time for a lot of brush detail painting.

GA_65.jpg

I did some detail painting on the body, picking out all the rivets and painting holes. Line washing and flag decals next. I also did the first round of brush painting on all the parts, but didn't get a photo before I had put them all aside.

GA_66.jpg

GA_67.jpg

• Like 1

This is looking absolutely fantastic - super work indeed. Perfect judgement on the colour and I agree about the finish. Cars of that era, certainly something like this, would have had a lustre rather than a deep shine. Really something to look at.

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks a lot for your kind praise guys.

I have continued the detail painting and made quite good progress. Almost done.

GA_68.jpg

Here are the problematic wheel parts, they begin to look acceptable now. Completed with the tyres and weathering I think they will be OK in the end.

GA_69.jpg

The seat and head rest, not sure if they came out just a tiny bit too glossy. We'll see.

GA_70.jpg

With the lack of information on the correct dash panel from 1929 this will have to do.

GA_71.jpg

I gave the radiators a good wash of dark brown oil paint for a start.

GA_72.jpg

After cleaning up I think they look like I want. There is more work to be done when this has dried completely.

GA_73.jpg

The body lines got a medium brown wash. I little bit of paint wear and chipping will be applied next. I couldn't put on the flag decals on the rear fin as the ones supplied are way too large and my extensive decal scraps failed to deliver. Looks like it might be a case for my Alps once again.

GA_74.jpg

• Like 1

I've been following this thread for some time now and you are certainly making a superb job of this kit....excellent, methodical approach and some great decision making...looks like it'll be a stunning replica when finished.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the kind comments, I'm happy you like the work. Here is an interesting piece of film worth watching. Sadly no sound.

It's been another quite productive day. I used a wash and some oils to add some dirt and streaks to the radiators. It looks less visible here, but I will add a little more when they are finally installed on the body. A little bit of paint damage was also added.

GA_75.jpg

The paint damaging continued on the main body, and some other staining.

GA_76.jpg

GA_77.jpg

Judging by the film this text was actually in place during all the running. There is also something bright/white in front of the wind screen, at the side of the base (see 6:45 in the film), but I can't figure out what it is.

GA_78.jpg

Suddenly some parts were being installed. Here's the headrest.

GA_79.jpg

And the carburettor air intakes.

GA_80.jpg

Most of the interior assembled on the base.

GA_81.jpg

GA_82.jpg

Here are all the exhaust stacks finally fitted and some more staining added.

GA_83.jpg

I felt I had to get the flag decals on now, so I printed my own. I had a good look if it was the 1:2 or 3:5 flag that was in place in 1929, it mostly looked like 3:5 so that's what I did. Perhaps they should have been just a slight bit smaller still. Never mind, it will do.

GA_84.jpg

Dash panel, steering wheel and wind screen was added and here is the complete cockpit temporarily put together.

GA_85.jpg

GA_86.jpg

GA_87.jpg

I hope I can get a start on assembling the tyres and rims tonight as well. I need them to do some trial fitting of the radiators before they're finally glued in place.

• Like 1

Jorgen, the colour is tremendous the cockpit detail exquisite. I think once youv'e got it all assembeld the model wil look dynamic. I think I might have just run out of superlatives...

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I humbly bow for your kind words.

The Bluebird is on my list too, I just can't resist these old speed record cars. :wub:

I assembled the wheels and here I temporarily hung up the main parts to see where it's heading. I did some minor adjustments to the front axle, and now it should be OK to glue the radiators and axles in place, then I can continue weathering the car and the wheels separately. The last adjustments can then be made in the wheel attachment.

GA_88.jpg

I'm trying to come up with some more superlatives to describe this, but I'm afraid Colin has beaten me to it.

Absolutely stunning! Your work never fails to inspire Jorgen, as always I'm looking forward to seeing this magnificent machine completed, and of course your next project.

Odd.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot Oddball, I'm glad my work can be an inspiration.

Jorgen, can I ask how you have done the paint chipping?

Of course! It's almost embarrassing to to admit the simplistic approach I have just used in today's world of special chipping fluids, layers on layers, hair spray etc... It's only slightly dried Humbrol silver applied with a small piece of a torn sponge and in some places a small brush, then a little of the same with titanium gold. Later there will be some dusting on top of some of it.

GA_89.jpg

• Like 1

The rear axle and brakes were glued and then the front axle placement where checked again and glued. When that had settled the steering linkage was added.

GA_90.jpg

A sleeping quality inspector in the sun at the end of the work bench.

GA_91.jpg

And at last the radiators were glued using square blocks while curing.

GA_92.jpg

• Like 1

This is looking so beautiful...... B)

What ever was written on the side of the cockpit windscreen - which appears to be highlighted with paint in the video footage from 1929 - is still there on the Beaulieu 'version' as can be seen on this link posted earlier in your thread. The letters are cast into the part (well appear to be??)....

http://picasaweb.google.com/113902400204777441765/GOLDENARROW#5554172093603202898

I'm curious....you've painted the wheels with the black edge, as it's seen today, yet the 1929 footage doesn't show this as far as I can make out??

Edited by The Sheene Machine
  • Like 1

This is looking so beautiful...... B)

What ever was written on the side of the cockpit windscreen - which appears to be highlighted with paint in the video footage from 1929 - is still there on the Beaulieu 'version' as can be seen on this link posted earlier in your thread. The letters are cast into the part (well appear to be??)....

http://picasaweb.google.com/113902400204777441765/GOLDENARROW#5554172093603202898

I'm curious....you've painted the wheels with the black edge, as it's seen today, yet the 1929 footage doesn't show this as far as I can make out??

Thanks! You're right, it must the same scribblings that are there today, only on the left side. I had seen that but forgotten about it. Still can't make out what it is.

The black edge of the wheels are in fact the edge of the wire wheel rim coming out behind the gold wheel cover. It can be seen also in 1929, but it's harder to see and I think it may be a narrower edge visible back then, compared to the different covers on the car today.

Thanks Jorgen,

That makes sense now - a cover over the wire wheel... of course! ...I agree, the edge must be very narrow given it's not visible on the footage easily...

I plan to visit Beaulieu soon ( I live about 30 miles away) - so I'll make a point of photographing the windscreen to clear the matter up....looks like 00X or OOK something...AP??

Edited by The Sheene Machine
  • Like 1

Hi Jorgen,

Nice to see the progress you've made on this one. You've made a lovely job of it.

I think the logo on the cast windscreen mount says "Cox & Co." They made windscreens in their early days. There's a slightly better picture of it somewhere on the web where it's not so over-exposed.

Keep up the good work

Dave

• Like 2