1/48 Monogram TBD Devastator

TBD3.jpgTBD4.jpgTBD1.jpgITBD-1P4.jpgTBD-1P3.jpgTBD-1P2.jpgHere’s my Monogram TBD, still a terrific kit despite its age. I added lots of scratch-built details, seat belts and a few photo-etched pieces to dress up the cockpit, a vac-form canopy, and enclosed the wheel wells.

The decals from the spares box (I built it about 15 years ago, before Golden Wings came along!) The wing stars and fuselage code letters were taken from various Micro-Scale national insignia and letters and numbers sheets. The VT-6 squadron insignia is also Micro-Scale, but from a 1/72 sheet for TBD’s. It’s a little undersized, but it was the only one I could find at the time. I’ll eventually replace it with a larger version I now have. The aircraft designator and BuNo on the tail were pieced together from some decals in my spars box, and some left-over numbers from an Accutate Minitures F3F-1 sheet. The red wing and fuselage stripes and the thin black pinstripes were from clear decal sheet I painted. I used the kit decals as a template for the wing chevrons and fuselage band.

I have another TBD on my shelf in Coral Sea markings, and two more in the stash. Still tempted to get the Great Wall kit, though. I love TBD’s!

• Like 5

What a great job. I've really come to enjoy looking at anything with a yellow wing and your rendition is a treat. Like you, this does make me think about the Great Wall kit. Hmmm...

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

That airplane looks so incredibly right with yellow wings. I love the Monogram kit. It was fantastic when it first came out and it still holds its own 40 years later. You've done an incredible job with yours :)

• Like 1

TBD3.jpgTBD4.jpg

TBD1.jpg

ITBD-1P4.jpgTBD-1P3.jpg

TBD-1P2.jpg

Here’s my Monogram TBD, still a terrific kit despite its age. I added lots of scratch-built details, seat belts and a few photo-etched pieces to dress up the cockpit, a vac-form canopy, and enclosed the wheel wells.

The decals from the spares box (I built it about 15 years ago, before Golden Wings came along!) The wing stars and fuselage code letters were taken from various Micro-Scale national insignia and letters and numbers sheets. The VT-6 squadron insignia is also Micro-Scale, but from a 1/72 sheet for TBD’s. It’s a little undersized, but it was the only one I could find at the time. I’ll eventually replace it with a larger version I now have. The aircraft designator and BuNo on the tail were pieced together from some decals in my spars box, and some left-over numbers from an Accutate Minitures F3F-1 sheet. The red wing and fuselage stripes and the thin black pinstripes were from clear decal sheet I painted. I used the kit decals as a template for the wing chevrons and fuselage band.

I have another TBD on my shelf in Coral Sea markings, and two more in the stash. Still tempted to get the Great Wall kit, though. I love TBD’s!

Example of spacing photos.

Love the build,

Steve

• Like 1

I could swear I posted to this one already. I know I built one last year. It sucks getting old!!! :goodjob:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...