Airfix Gnat T.1

I'm really going for the Dayglo thing at the moment. I've had tins of Precision Fluorescent Red/Orange in the box for about 25 years, mainly because my experiences when I used it back then were not brilliant. It seemed hard work so I backed away.

However I just finished the new Airfix Vampire which was a delight to build and I had an equally good experience with the old paints - sprayed beautifully tbh! What's that all about then! I guess a more measured approach to paint prep is one of the benefits of getting older!

Anyway, I was hankering for a bit more bright orange so with the confidence in dayglo application suitably reinforced I broke out the beautiful new Airfix Gnat and set about scratching an itch I've had for many, many years.

I shan't dwell too much on the kit as much has been said about the surface detail and so on. Suffice to say, it went together like a dream - needed a little fettling under the wing root L/E and you should expect a fair amount of work around the joins on the 3 piece slipper tanks - and the decals were superb. Recommend a white disc under the upper wing roundels as they straddle the orange/silver divide but the rest are just fine. Lots of stencils! Well over 100 decals if you use them all!

Mine proved to be a marginal tail-sitter (nothing mentioned in the instructions) but that may have been due to me cutting the canopy open with the associated weight move to the rear. Couple of lead shots down the pilot's footwell sorted that.

All OOB except the addition of some seat firing handles and some straps from lead foil - seats by the way are OK but I do feel the head-box is undersized.

For the silver I used Xtracolour Aluminium which, in retrospect, I think might be a little dark for high speed silver.

Enough waffle, here she is - looks like a Gnat to me which pleases me immensely.

Hope you like her, comments and criticism welcomed in equal measure. My apologies again for the poor photos - still not got my tri-pod back.

IMG_0042_zpsa272c0d5.jpg

IMG_0046_zpsf4d1e844.jpg

IMG_0041_zps6d38cce4.jpg

IMG_0040_zps551eaad3.jpg

IMG_0044_zps44ee80c3.jpg

IMG_0047_zps5660ab49.jpg

And here it is with it's older cousin - bit of a throw away shot to emphasis how small the Gnat is!

IMG_0048_zpsd2ee4215.jpg

Will I build another? You bet! I already have a second in the stash and designs on another - 'nuff said!

Now, where's that H-34 for an all-over dayglo finish......!

Cheers all - ATB!

Rick

Edited by Spad
  • Like 2

Beautiful job on both of them Rick. I think your rendition of high speed silver is spot on. You have now got me hankering for a Gnat but preferably one in 1/48th. Don't think I could manage such a good job in this scale. Thanks for sharing!

Howard

Lovely build and day glo would make an interesting theme for sure, a bit of digging through the web would reveal dozens of interesting Subjects. The Gnat is a cracking kit, the Vamp T11 even better!

Lovely stuff. ;)

I agree with the comments about dayglo. Tis addictive and habit forming. You begin looking for other aircraft that wore this type of scheme, just so you can use the colours again (the same comment also applies to raspberry ripples). :)

:goodjob: