Airfix 1/48 Lynx

Bobski

I think the HAS.3 was shelved, too many differences in the fuselage from the HMA8 / Super Lynx to get them from the one tooling.

So what are the differences - apart from the obvious shape of the nose between the HMA8 and HAS3? I really need to make a HAS3.....

Peter

So what are the differences - apart from the obvious shape of the nose between the HMA8 and HAS3? I really need to make a HAS3.....

Peter

Top decking, tail blades, main blades if an early one , top of tail didn't have the larger gearbox bulge, nose plus other bits I am sure Lynx7 will point out. It is not impossible looking at the breakdown of the kit but quite a few new bits are needed.

my two 7s and an 8 dropped off by my modelshop owning mate this evening so they have arrived in the Belfast modelshops :)

Edited by sniperUK

Peter

Cockpit is completely different, cabin (Mk 8 vs Mk 3 and Mk 8 SRU), nose, tail rotor, tail rotor gear box, aerial arrangement, DAS.

There are 2 different Mk 8 types. The Mk 8 DSP (Digital Signal processor) and Mk 8 SRU (Saturn radio upgrade, basically mid life update) has a different aerial arrangement and front cockpit. The cabin is empty for the SRU, the DSP has a large avionics rack in the aft right portion of the cabin. The kit is a Mk 8 SRU so you can't do any aircraft before about 2007 or so.

I got my kit today, it's totally blown me away, not least cos my name is on the decal sheet! Famous at last.

Haggis, sniperUK - Thanks guys. Not going to be easy then.... :hmmm:

For anyone wishing to model the Danish Navy version you might like to check parts C13 and C18. Both are short shots on my boxing - fortunately I'm going to build the RN version.

Peter

Cockpit is completely different, cabin (Mk 8 vs Mk 3 and Mk 8 SRU), nose, tail rotor, tail rotor gear box, aerial arrangement, DAS.

There are 2 different Mk 8 types. The Mk 8 DSP (Digital Signal processor) and Mk 8 SRU (Saturn radio upgrade, basically mid life update) has a different aerial arrangement and front cockpit. The cabin is empty for the SRU, the DSP has a large avionics rack in the aft right portion of the cabin. The kit is a Mk 8 SRU so you can't do any aircraft before about 2007 or so.

I got my kit today, it's totally blown me away, not least cos my name is on the decal sheet! Famous at last.

I'm 3/4 through building the 8 at the moment (my second review for AMW mag, got this one about 2 months ago). I'm more of a 7 bloke and dont know my way totally around an 8 but does the 8 not have a broom cupboard? The kit doesnt appear to replicate it (as it does on the 7). You will really enjoy building this (despite a couple of minor frustrating bits). Can you also confirm which decal sheet you have? The ones I have from Airfix were test shots and I'm not 100% sure I've got the full navy decal sheet?

Cheers

PS Do you have any pics of the Fwd Av bay? I'm planning on leaving nose bay open. I would pop North side and have a look but I'm on leave for the next 2 weeks!

I'm 3/4 through building the 8 at the moment (my second review for AMW mag, got this one about 2 months ago). I'm more of a 7 bloke and dont know my way totally around an 8 but does the 8 not have a broom cupboard? The kit doesnt appear to replicate it (as it does on the 7). You will really enjoy building this (despite a couple of minor frustrating bits). Can you also confirm which decal sheet you have? The ones I have from Airfix were test shots and I'm not 100% sure I've got the full navy decal sheet?

Cheers

PS Do you have any pics of the Fwd Av bay? I'm planning on leaving nose bay open. I would pop North side and have a look but I'm on leave for the next 2 weeks!

Our broom cupboard was covered by the 3 man seat which ran across the back although in the DSP only the single left hand seat would fit cos of the avionics rack. not sure the configuration of the 7 back there so I can't compare it. Ours was just a blank space.

The sheet has the German, Danish examples plus my Evelyn. It's quite large, almost the size of the instructions. I guess you have a test shot then?

Our broom cupboard was covered by the 3 man seat which ran across the back although in the DSP only the single left hand seat would fit cos of the avionics rack. not sure the configuration of the 7 back there so I can't compare it. Ours was just a blank space.

The sheet has the German, Danish examples plus my Evelyn. It's quite large, almost the size of the instructions. I guess you have a test shot then?

Ah ha, yep, the decal sheet I have for the 8 only has RN markings and is small. The kit doesnt show any form of broom cupboard (or cabin heat ducting running outboard to the floor either). In the 9A, the broom cupboard is full too (secure radio boxes) but there is still the space between both main tanks. This one has the rear bulkhead as one flat piece (nicely detailed with soundproofing and harnesses (posh 5 point harnesses too....pongo version just has 3 pointers for the 3 man seat)).

Yipee, I got my Mk8 last night. Straight from Airfix, back of the net.

Postie put it on the back step and me being the first home intercepted it straight into the shed.

Spent a few hours under the box lid and I am even more impressed by the contents than at Telford last year.

Only one RN machine in the decals but I am hoping that Model Alliance will now finally release the Black cats scheme they have been holding back on (go on Gary, Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease) I feel sure that someone will try to back date the airframe to a Mk3, a lot of work I feel but I for one would buy that conversion after all its that or the Beltcher kit.

I am looking forward to the Merlin now.

A big well done to Airfix for over the last few years really turning round the standard and subjects of models.

WELL DONE AIRFIX :partytime:

The Woo

And I can say without fear of contradiction that it is worth every penny. I was lucky enough to get my hands on one in mid Jan to build for Airfix Model world mag (my build review will be in Mays issue). I'm currently in the middle of building the HMA8 and that too is very very good! :D

Ooh, can't wait for that!

Tony :clif:

Looking at the Navy version this morning ,and all I can say is that I`m highly impressed with this kit ,so much so I bought one!Are Airfix going up-market ,it seems like it.

Regards Phil

Edited by Phil Reeder

Was going to pick up the Navy Lynx at Cosford tomorrow, but I couldn't resist when I saw it in my LHS yesterday. Fantastic kit.

One question for Haggis (or anyone else who might know) - Can I build it with the MG on one side of the aircraft and a Sea Skua on the other?

Well I got both from Airfix arrived yesterday great service,(ordered weds pm arrived fri am)

Is it just me that feels the kits are let down a little by having declas for the I.P's?

Well I got both from Airfix arrived yesterday great service,(ordered weds pm arrived fri am)

Is it just me that feels the kits are let down a little by having declas for the I.P's?

They aren't too bad once built up to be honest. On the test shot I built, I used a mix of spare Eduard PE panel bits. The Navy panel is ok too.

Mk7 using bits of UH60 and CH47 PE.

6886158202_45e46412c9.jpg

Is this kit really up to Tamiya's standards?

Not quite but very close. Some beautiful details and features and a logical build only let down by a couple of minors issues.