B-17G Miss Little Mischief Revell 1/72

Hi Colleagues!

Just would like to share with you photos of completed B-17G Miss Little Mischief model from Revell in 1/72 scale.

It was built 1.5 year ago, but your opinion about result will be highly appreciated.

Work-in-progress topic with step-by-step assembling and interior photos you will find here: http://www.greenmats.club/topic/87-b-17g-flying-fortress-172-revell-краткий-обзор-и-постройка/

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

• Like 42

You've chosen an interesting subject there and it's certainly well put together but I think you've overdone the panel line emphasis.  Several modellers and reviewers have commented on the prominence of the panel lines around the nose and to emphasise them with a paint effect may be a step too far.  That said I like the way you've done the exhaust staining underwing and the heat-staining on the exhaust components and I'll be cribbing that when I get round to finishing my Airfix example.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I think you've overdone the panel line emphasis

I fully agree with you... Here is combination of 2 factors have lead to wrong result - too wide panel lines on Revell kit and too dark paint I used lines marking...

13 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I like the way you've done the exhaust staining underwing and the heat-staining on the exhaust components

Thanks!

• Like 2

I don't yet have an example of the Revell kit but if/when one comes my way it'll make an interesting comparison with the new Airfix kit.  

Apparently both kits have parts for 100 Group RAF options (but not all of 'em) so who's going to be first to get heir offering on model shop shelves?

Have you seen the new bookazine about the B-17G in W H Smith's?  Lots of useful photos, including some possible diorama ideas (servicing, belly landings).

I agree with Stever219 about the panel lines, which are for me too dark and too deep.

But otherwise your model is very nice, the colours look to be very accurate.

A great job you did with this Flying Fortress.

• Like 1

A very nice result. 

Just a coulle of things to consider if you build another B-17:

1. The only painted area of the B-17's interior was the flightdeck, which was Bronze Green. From the photos it looks like you have used the correct shade. The remainder of the interior was aluminium - nose to tail. Wheel bays were also unpainted. 

2. On the upper wing, there would be no staining coming from the wing vents. These were there to let out hot hair and fuel vapours, and were not exhausts. Instead, the oil stains from the engines went around the vent, leaving the area behind the vent itself clean. 

I'm just nit-picking though as the B-17 is my all time favourite aircraft!

As I said though, a nice model of the most beautiful WWII bomber. 

• Like 2

With the aforementioned critiques of the panel lines taken into account, that is a lovely build!

I agree that the exhaust staining is great, and I'll be trying for something similar when I get around to building this model (although I'm sure it won't look as good as yours).

DennisTheBear

31 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

A very nice result. 

Just a coulle of things to consider if you build another B-17:

1. The only painted area of the B-17's interior was the flightdeck, which was Bronze Green. From the photos it looks like you have used the correct shade. The remainder of the interior was aluminium - nose to tail. Wheel bays were also unpainted. 

2. On the upper wing, there would be no staining coming from the wing vents. These were there to let out hot hair and fuel vapours, and were not exhausts. Instead, the oil stains from the engines went around the vent, leaving the area behind the vent itself clean. 

I'm just nit-picking though as the B-17 is my all time favourite aircraft!

As I said though, a nice model of the most beautiful WWII bomber. 

The vents are the outlets for the supercharger intercooler and oil cooler air:

b17_169.jpg

b17_161s.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, T-21 said:

Excellent clean build  may i ask paint call-outs please ? what silver did you use.

Main color Tamiya TS-17 (spray). But some panels were painted with X-11 and XF-16 by airbrush. Under TS-79 (semi-gloss clear) it looks like 3 different tones of aluminium. It is not visible on final pics but can be seen on wip topic's photos.

• Like 1

To be honest, it was my first experience with:

- non-jet plane (just jets before)

- wwii era plane (just modern aircrafts before)

- war plane (just civil aviation before)

- 1/72 scale (just 1/144 before)

- airbrush painting (just sprays before)

- weathered (civil airliners as usually clear)

So, many things were done first time there :P

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Ridibunda said:

To be honest, it was my first experience with:

- non-jet plane (just jets before)

- wwii era plane (just modern aircrafts before)

- war plane (just civil aviation before)

- 1/72 scale (just 1/144 before)

- airbrush painting (just sprays before)

- weathered (civil airliners as usually clear)

So, many things were done first time there :P

Ridibunda, with all the restrictions you have told in this post;

I can allow myself to tell you that you are on the edge to be (or become, as you like it) a great modeller.

But please don't forget:

Vintage aircraft, I would say from World War I to World War II, including what is be called the Golden Age (period without war)

are not more difficult to build, or to paint than modern aircraft (a brush is a brush and an airbrush is an airbrush, no more and no less, OK ?)

Of course when you build in 1/72 scale,  (if you compare to 1/144) you have much more details to take care of, but it is also much more exciting to pick up these details,

to detail such exciting areas as cockpits, wheel wells, engine locations and, and. etc...

And what could I say about my favourite scale: 1/48.?

A beautiful evening and night to everybody . Polo.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, polo1112 said:

Ridibunda, with all the restrictions you have told in this post;

I can allow myself to tell you that you are on the edge to be (or become, as you like it) a great modeller.

But please don't forget:

Vintage aircraft, I would say from World War I to World War II, including what is be called the Golden Age (period without war)

are not more difficult to build, or to paint than modern aircraft (a brush is a brush and an airbrush is an airbrush, no more and no less, OK ?)

Of course when you build in 1/72 scale,  (if you compare to 1/144) you have much more details to take care of, but it is also much more exciting to pick up these details,

to detail such exciting areas as cockpits, wheel wells, engine locations and, and. etc...

And what could I say about my favourite scale: 1/48.?

A beautiful evening and night to everybody . Polo.

@polo1112 thanks for comments! )))

Just thinking about 1/48... F-51D (Tamiya), F-5E (AFD Club) or Rhino (Eduard/Academy) ;)

Edited by Ridibunda
  • Like 1

Great job,love it, we've all got caught out with panel lines/washes it's a learning curve we have to follow but with so much work on her 

especially the scheme why not get hold of a silver pencil and keeping it sharp re-do the panel lines on the silver areas.

• Like 2

I think you've done a superb build here, I remember making this one when it first came out and the paint scheme is challenging with the bare metal and painted parts.

This kit always seems to split opinions because of the deep panel lines and I know a lot of people don't like the glazed nose part as it's too thick and just doesn't look right, but I like the kit as a whole and found it to be an enjoyable build.

Well done on this one Ridibunda, you've done a great job on it!

Rich

• Like 1

VMA131Marine, thanks for posting the turbocharger and intercooler system drawings: I'm not about to start chopping holes in my shiny new Airfix kit to replicate them (fat fingers syndrome) but just knowing what's there is fascinating.

Ridibunda, the Academy F-4J in 1/48th is a fine kit, lots of stores to hang off it, good levels of detail (be careful installing the main undercarriage units and the air brake actuators are too long), and doesn't take up acres of shelf space?  Loads of aftermarket (resin, etched brass, transfers), reference galore.  Go fill your boots.:D  

Failing that go and buy the new Airfix B-17G and see how it compares to the Revell kit (I think I'll get the Revell kit, having seen yours, and do likewise).  One of the colour scheme options is from the same Bomb Group as your subject and will make an interesting comparison.

• Like 1