Preview new 1/72 Airfix Focke Wulf FW190

meindert

I love the way the wings have been done as single pieces for top and bottom, and the way the trailing edge is only ever one piece thick, not a sandwich.

Some of the overly sprue attachment points on the large parts remind my of the new Typhoon.

I'm not following German subjects, but is the Academy kit the only other modern mainstream offering of the A-8?

The engineering of the under wing cannon panels appears to be a first - several kits have compromised over those details - is very welcome and should permit more flexibility in representing sub-types.

Nick

Actually one of the things I find most exciting about Airfix's latest batch of releases is that they are genuinely putting new thinking into making detailed kits easy to assemble correctly, and as fool-proof as possible. The designation marking for the flashed-over rocket and bomb holes on the inside surface of the wing on the Typhoon was another simple but brilliant innovation.

They've really thought about how to square the circle between kits that are sufficiently detailed / complex / option laden for the hardened enthusiast market while still being approachable for the beginner and/or pocket money market. I suspect there has been some high quality market research done, and acted on.

• Like 2

I love the way the wings have been done as single pieces for top and bottom, and the way the trailing edge is only ever one piece thick, not a sandwich.

Some of the overly sprue attachment points on the large parts remind my of the new Typhoon.

I'm not following German subjects, but is the Academy kit the only other modern mainstream offering of the A-8?

No it isn't. The best A-8 has always been the Hasegawa kit. Hobby Boss also do an A-8 which is miles better than the horrible Academy kit.

thanks

Mike

It looks good, certainly as good as the competition anyway and hopefully a lot better in real life and with Airfix's quality to cost ratio being very good it should sell by the barrow load!

The forward fuselage upper cowl looks like it could be tricky to get a good fit but that is an issue with almost every other kit of the Fw190 too, a tricky shape to mould I guess. The detail on the main wheel looks a little soft too but that isn't a show stopper either. I like the fact they have attempted the exhausts (a first in this scale?) and the cannon covers being separate is a clever touch too (no more carving and sanding there).

I am really looking forward to building a swarm of these when they come out, they will leap straight to the top of the stash.

Duncan B

fw190-airfix.jpg

Directly from Airfix UK, IPMS Nederland has for model enthusiasts a preview on the new

1/72 Airfix Focke Wulf FW-190

This is a full new kit. Look for details at:

http://www.ipms.nl/artikelen/recensies/vliegtuigen-militair/1234-airfix-fw190-english.html.

Two bit THANK YOU'S

First to yourselves for taking the trouble to take the photographs, post them and to give us such a faultless english translation of your appraisal of the kit.

Secondly to Airfix for making the sprues available for 'review': something other Manufacturers could do well to follow this idea .....

For the 1/72 Spitfire XlX, Airfix posted the instructions on their website prior to release. I don't think they ever did this for any other kit, and I mentioned this to them at a Show. Their response was that it was on their 'list of things to do, but rather far down' or words to that effect. We can live in hope, but that said and speaking for myself a) Put your best efforts where they will have best results B) Releasing test shots of sprues is just fantastic and I hope will become a regular event.

It certanly looked nice when I saw it briefly at Cosford - the real test would be to see how it compares to the Hasegawa kit. If it's at least as nice as that, then Airfix will have a winner, being priced at £6-8.00 depending on which boxing you buy. Initial signs show promise! I'll certainly be having one or two or a few!

thanks

Mike

The actual boxart is pretty cool too;

A01020.jpg

Well that's it, I'm hooked already just for the box art! I have these decals in the stash but I'd gladly buy the kit anyway. I hope they have some other colourful options included too. It doesn't matter as I have lots of aftermarket decals to use up anyway.

Duncan B

It certanly looked nice when I saw it briefly at Cosford - the real test would be to see how it compares to the Hasegawa kit. If it's at least as nice as that, then Airfix will have a winner, being priced at £6-8.00 depending on which boxing you buy. Initial signs show promise! I'll certainly be having one or two or a few!

thanks

Mike

Hi Mike, if it is priced in that range then it's goodbye to the Zvezda snappy kit's short reign as the cheap alternative 190, unless you specifically want an A4 of course.

DB

The actual boxart is pretty cool too;

A01020.jpg

Where in the world did you find this box art image.. At the start of this year, this was one Airfix new tool that I was not going to purchase, however after seeing the sprue shots and box art I'm finding it very difficult not to add this to the list?.

Do you have any other future box art designs for the Fw190 series 2 kit or dare I say it .... The big Jav?

Cheers.. Dave.

Hi Mike, if it is priced in that range then it's goodbye to the Zvezda snappy kit's short reign as the cheap alternative 190, unless you specifically want an A4 of course.

DB

Well that's it. Zvezda is an A-4 and Airfix is an A-8/F-8, so not strictly a like for like comparason!

Still can't have too many Fw190 kits - I've got well over 20 now :)

thanks

Mike

Richard,

Many thanks for posting what are I think the first "published" images of this new box art.

I for one would love to see more of the new images so please - PLEASE - post whatever you can.

I truly believe that Airfix are on a real winner here. They are producing excellent kits with great decals all housed inside a very attractive package. Even better still, they are offering these for sale at very affordable prices.

I can honestly say that I am certainly doing my bit at keeping this Airfix dream run going by buying and promoting many of these new kits. I have even got my 7 year old daughter inspired to join the hobby.. Although she seems to be rather more interested in planes with black crosses rather than red white and blue roundels??

Once again.. Many thanks and keep them coming..

Cheers... Dave

Nice to see that they have the parts to do the F-8 with the blown hood. I might have to pick me up one of those.

Regards,

Jason

The blown hood also featured on some A8's too, the main thing to remember if using the blown hood is that the solid head shield will be needed as that was fitted with the blown hood.

Duncan B

• Like 1

This is another one I'll buy !

The design team at airfix is IMHO to be commended for the ideas they are putting into the most recent 1/72 kits. There is a lot of thought and it's clear that whoever is working on these kits must be a modeller

• Like 1

Would love to get this and the new Typhoon, will start saving now and, as they're small boxes i may be able to sneak them pas SWMBO :fight::nono: .

I've seen a couple of comments about the academy kit, this is my project after the Eurofighter i'm doing next. Anyone give any pointers on it i know the pitot is on the wrong wing. forgive the deviation i could start a new post if needed.

Thanks.

Would love to get this and the new Typhoon, will start saving now and, as they're small boxes i may be able to sneak them pas SWMBO :fight::nono: .

I've seen a couple of comments about the academy kit, this is my project after the Eurofighter i'm doing next. Anyone give any pointers on it i know the pitot is on the wrong wing. forgive the deviation i could start a new post if needed.

Thanks.