1/72 Harrier GR.3 - FINISHED

Deanflyer

Since I've just done a completely out of the box build on my 1/32 Tomcat, I was wondering whether to take part in this GB. It was a most frustrating experience not being able to scratchbuild or add parts to my satisfaction, and I didn't really want to repeat the experience. However, I came around to the idea in the end for the same reason many of us have I suspect - nostalgia. Putting aside the accuracy worries and just building it like a kid again.

So, in my child like innocence, I'll be having a go at this:

ProgHar1.jpg

using only these:

ProgHar2.jpg

and expecting to produce nothing more than a badly painted blob of approximate shape. Just like the old days!

It looks like I've got six colours to choose from - two greys, two greens, a black and a metallic grey. Painting the pilot's face is out, then.

Masking tape? Pah! There's not a straight line anywhere on this paint scheme, and anybody who masks over acrylic paint applied directly onto bare plastic is asking for trouble, I reckon..

Cheers,

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer

I would have bought this kit as a kid just because of the artwork!!!

It was what influenced me actually Paul - but as in the old days, the chances of the model ending up looking anything like the artwork are remote!

Cheers,

Dean

Yuk!

ProgHar3.jpg

This acrylic paint is like trying to paint with creosote. Some others have taken the option of thinning it with water, but did you ever think to do that as a kid? No? Then neither will I...

The kit itself is very badly moulded - flash everywhere, and the top half of the right wing is narrower in chord than the bottom half! Some trimming required here. The only bit of the whole thing that looks good is the nosewheel - it's well moulded, no flash, and looks like it was tooled by a completely different person to all the others. Weird.

The grey you can see on the model isn't filler, by the way - it's the kit's grey paint applied to see if the seams had vanished satisfactorily after scraping with the knife. Waste of time really - the green paint seems to be doing its best to cover up even the raised panel lines!

Mind you, I've never had a kit together so fast!

On we go...

Cheers,

Dean

Well, I think I've done all I can with the camouflage:

ProgHar4.jpg

Thought these paints were supposed to be matt?

Decals and final assembly tomorrow, I think. A word of warning to others in the GB - snip the lids of the paint pots so that they come off completely. Otherwise, when the paint gets low in them the lid weighs more than the pot, and over it goes...

Cheers,

Dean

Dean,

Are the intakes a "deliberate mistake"? :shithappens:

Ian

Hey, gimme a break...I am only 12, you know... :winkgrin:

The main gear is on backwards as well - it's not often you get the chance to do the sort of stuff you're not 'allowed' to get away with when you're a serious grown up modeller...

Cheers,

Dean

Aged 12 and nearly a quarter

Well, that's that finished. I must say it brought back a lot of memories - sticking bits on the wrong way round and upside down, using a brush instead of an airbrush, only using what paints were to hand, no weathering. Really makes you appreciate what we have to work with nowadays.

Plus points were that the poly cement worked a lot better than I expected it to, and the two brushes are decent enough to keep hold of and use again. The decals were very good, conformed well and were in register - a first for me with Airfix!

Minus points were the quality of the moulding and the really awful paints. Maybe if we'd have been allowed to prime first it wouldn't have been so bad, but acrylic onto bare plastic? Never again...

Cheers,

Dean

Har1.jpg

Har2.jpg

Har4.jpg

Har5.jpg

Har6.jpg

Edited by Deanflyer

You may say it's a turd, but it's a nicely polished turd!

When I was nine I'd have been well chuffed with that.

Of course, when I was nine we only had enamels which were more forgiving when applied by brush. Then again if you spilled them you were in real trouble with your mum!

Edited by davidelvy

That's come out a lot better than I thought it would based on the earlier photos.... good save. It is a really old model and it's about time Airfix re-did the Harrier I's with the 2 seater versions as well.

Thanks for the tip on the lids as I need all the help I can get.

The other reason for removing the lids is that the paint sits in the lid and runs down it and the outside of the pot.....

... and then spurts out the side when you put the lid back on. Gotta love 'em. The Revell acrylic potlets are an absolute JOY by comparison.

Thanks for the nice comments folks - feels just like being a kid again...no matter what the thing turned out like, you were bound to get loads of praise for it!

Like Mish said of her Whirlwind, I don't think this'll be having a permanent place in my display collection - I think I'll take it to Cosford and see if I can find a deserving kid to give it to on the day. It fits back in it's original box with just a cut out for the fin, and if a youngster were to see the packaging and the end result, it might get them wanting to try it themselves. Might be something others could consider, too...?

After the trauma of this build, I'm doing a Deanflyer Special now to get my hand back in again. Watch this space...

Cheers,

Dean