Zvezda 787

GCA333

Looks nice, just might be a bit premature I bet they hope that Boeing don't have to change too much before it enters production.

I don't think that's much of a worry at this point. The problems they're having with the 787 aren't related to the configuration or external appearance of the airplane. What you see is pretty much what you're going to see once it's in service.

FWIW, I shudder to think what would have happened if Airbus had taken the plunge and done what Boeing is doing on the 787. You notice that the A350 is still a paper airplane (or more accurately, a bunch of electrons whizzing around inside a computer). Boeing is breaking new ground with every single part of the 787. To be sure, some of their problems are self-inflicted on the management side (or lack of management), but the 787 is a totally new way of thinking about, designing, and building airplanes. It's no big surprise that it's not going entirely smoothly. Many people were sure the 747 was a total dog, unneeded and unwanted by the airlines, and that it would be Boeing's last design before they went under. Look where we are 45 years later...

J

Boeing fans here, were advocating that Airbus customers awaiting delivery of the A380 should sue for compensation when the aircraft was delayed.

I wonder if they are going to suggest the same to Boeing customers now that the 787 is delayed?

Airbus A350XWB is not scheduled to fly until 2013 and the 787 is already 16 months overdue.

Chris.

A Kit and an A/C probably the closest match of the day?

I can see that once those Catering trucks, Baggage trolleys and Refueling trucks will keep a 787 on the deck longer than any tech issues!

Composites and weight saving are good ideas but that is not reality and the above selection of 'offenders' is the a/c's potential downfall

over required 'New Technology' repair requirements!

Adrian

I dont know a thing about any business with Boeing and the 787. But I AM glad to see a new item from ZVEZDA. This mighty East Bloc concern has done some nice kits over the years. Good to see them in the news.

• 3 weeks later...
Got mine last night. If you think it looks good on a pic......

Get an inbox review done this minute, you tease! :lol:

Have the modeled the wings in flight, or at rest? They don't half bend when the lift goes on :wacko:

Had mine show up yesterday as well... perhaps the only criticism I can immediately see was a very very slight grain to the surface finish, a bit of smoothing or a good primer should get rid of it.

It's much bigger than you'd expect... looks like the wings are shown at rest, there's a clear upcurve but not nearly as pronounced as that from the first flight.

Decals are perhaps disappointing, but you'd have to be very brave to tackle the prototype scheme anyway :frantic:

It's one of those annoying 'must build now!' kind of kits (annoying when you can't get a massive backlog cleared anyway), I'm waiting to see what 3rd party decals show up (I'm not opposed to trying the Boeing scheme but so so easy to screw it up)... masking the windows might also be a bit of a challenge.

Edited by Stebos

....Okay BCal is a 'what if' scheme, maybe a BOAC to follow!

did you know that B.Cal were coming up with a new colour scheme before they merged with BA....it was the benyhone tartan scheme that BA used in the world image era....