The mighty Martin Mars finds a permanent home

Robin-42

Im surprised the National museum of Naval aviation didn't want it ? Don't get me wrong here I’m happy she will be preserved. Being the only Military to operate the type and they don't want it seems both sad and confusing ? I know she had a much longer life as a fire bomber in at least three countries (Canada, USA, Mexico).  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

That's good news. I had the pleasure of seeing it in action at Oshkhosh 2016. Very impressive machine. 

Even then you had a sense that you're we seeing history. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

What's the status of the other one?

It says in the article that Philippine Mars was retired in 2012 and is not considered airworthy.

29 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

It says in the article that Philippine Mars was retired in 2012 and is not considered airworthy.

But what's its status? Is that the one which was repainted in USN colours? And where is it going?

As of a year ago, Philippine Mars was still sitting on the ramp. I couldn’t find a more current picture. Coulson Aviation is still a very active company, with the space to continue storing it. I am assuming it will sit until someone expresses an interest. The firefighting paint scheme is far more relevant to BC, so I assume that the paint and more recent annual made Hawaii Mars the economic one to obtain. 

Good news. for it. I saw them both on Sproat Lake on one of my visits to Canada in 2004. I ha e one of the  CMR resin kits built and sits in a safe place in my shed.

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Good news. for it. I saw them both on Sproat Lake on one of my visits to Canada in 2004. I ha e one of the  CMR resin kits built and sits in a safe place in my shed.

And the other kit is safely in my stash.

• Thanks 1

Back in 2011, there was a large forest fire off the the northeast of here. The Mars came up to a lake about 30km. south of town. I went out and got some photos.

DSCF0533

The next day, I got this video:

Chris

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Very glad to hear that it has found a good home.  The Pima Air Museum has a splendid collection, and their facilities improve every time I get out there to visit, with more aircraft under cover.