A New Lease of Life Part 2. Tamiya Cromwell. 1/35th scale.

First of all, apologies to those of you who are familiar with this from the first time around, about eight years ago. This will be a fairly quick WIP, ie; a conversion of an existing build, so therefore the lower hull will remain almost untouched

The part 2 of the title refers to the fact that this has been through WIPs before, but then the good people at Village Photos decided to mess about with the photos, and make them disappear.

The story behind this model is that this is the one that got me into 1/35th armour. Before that, I'd been building 1/48th AFVs and before that 1/72nd, but Swmbo bought the Tamiya kit for me, one Christmas, and I decided to build it to see if I liked the scale. The rest, as they say is history, and this was the finished article.

BQFf5bJ.jpg

That was back in 2005. Several years passed, and I'd got a few AFVs under my belt, and I'd always thought that I could improve this Cromwell. But rather than just tart it up, I thought that I would convert it to a Mk.lVf. The kit, as supplied has decals for a Mk.lV with a D hull, but has the engine deck of a B/C, so that would need fixing. Some other bits would need altering, but I'll cover those as I get to them. To be completely accurate for a MklVf, the double tow rope should be wound around the two sets of headlamp brush guards on the glacis plate, but in the original build I glued the camnet in place and it was going to cause too much damage to remove it, so hey ho! nothings perfect.

The first job was to reduce the model down as much as I could without doing too much damage. This meant removing the commanders and loaders hatch covers, the engine deck stowage, forward right hand stowage bin, pioneer tools, towing hook and smoke candle holders. At the same time, I removed with a new blade, the four hinges on the two rear outer engine hatches and filled the panel lines as these are incorrect for the F type hull. I scribed new panel lines either side of the hatches. The resulting long, side hatches were fitted with three brass wire grab handles. Much of this work was a waste of time as it would be covered up with kit stowage.

6uD20Tx.jpg

With these two images side by side, the differences in the two types of hull can be seen. Anyone contemplating doing this conversion, I would not recommend using the Accurate Armour F type deck as it has the engine hatch panel lines in the wrong place. AA has them in line with the front of the centre hatch, whereas they should be 2-3mm to the rear. Also on the SKP hull, it shows where the grab handles go along with four locking positions, two each side.

At the rear I used the kits Normandy cowl and added three strengthening bars from 10 x 20 thou plastic strip. The original tow hook had been removed and replaced with a leaf spring and tow hook taken from Tasca's Sherman 5C. I also relocated the smoke candle holders onto the exhaust box above, only this time I used the ones from the Eduard set and added the electrical cables using 10 amp fuse wire.

6aw8LUE.jpg

The biggest alteration needed was at the front of the hull. F type hulls altered the drivers hatch so that it mirrored that of the mg gunner ie; side opening. For this to happen necessitated the removal of the forward right side stowage bin. I cut a section of the roof out using the existing panel lines as a guide, and made a new piece from 15thou card with the drivers hatch scored into it. New brackets and latches were also made to mirror the left hand hatch. The forward end of the remaining right hand bin was thickened with 15thou card to match that of the left hand bin.

tJVY3Xu.jpg

Periscopes were then added to the roof and latches to the stowage bins from the Eduard etched sheet.

QjX2oBB.jpg

That completes the major work that needed to be done to the hull. Just some stowage to be added before moving onto the turret.

I loaded up the engine deck with some stowage from various sources. Some of it is just squares of plastic to give bulk and shape underneath the tarpaulin. The tarp was made by rolling out some Milliput as thin as I could make it, and then draping it over the stowage. The jerry can rack was from the Eduard set and the cans themselves are Resicast.

GbUgGtj.jpg

I managed to reuse the pioneer tools and repainted them a cream colour with acrylics, and then wiped them over with yellow ochre oil paint. This time they were attached using the Eduard brass. The ammo box at the rear is Accurate Armour.

zB9ZDFy.jpg

Final items added were the tool box on the left track guard, a 4 gallon flimsy next to the drivers front hatch and a tarpaulin made from PVA soaked tissue to cover up some damage inflicted when I tried to remove the camnet.

mKVuU6B.jpg

I said that it would be quick. Thanks for looking and for any comments.

John.

• Like 17

Another interesting revisit John, thanks for taking the time to share

Stay safe             Roger

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

Another interesting revisit John, thanks for taking the time to share

Stay safe             Roger

3 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Lovely build once again John 👍

Thanks both. Your comments are really appreciated. Funnily enough, when I was putting this rehash together, it made me feel that I'd like to do another lVf, so I'll be looking out for another Cromwell kit.

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy H said:

You can't go wrong with a Tamiya Cromwell. Looking good! 😎👍

Many thanks Andy, an yes, I couldn't agree more. It might be long in the tooth, but it's still a damned good kit

John.

Moving on now to the turret. The most obvious change here is the addition of the two stowage bins each side. This was done to compensate for the removal of the right hand hull bin. Although the Eduard etched sheet does carry these two bins, I prefer to work in plastic, so using the etched ones as a pattern, the two bins were made from 15thou card for  the main boxes and 5thou card for the lid of the smaller left hand bin. I used the Eduard lid for the right hand one. These were then fixed in place after removing two of the large bolt heads. The final job for the bins was to add the hinges and latches to the lids from the Eduard sheet, and the triangular strengthening plates and fixing bolt heads either side of the bins.

en5IVAz.jpg

Because of the bin's position, the spot light had to be placed on an extended mount. I also added some wiring for it from fused wire. The tank that I was going to depict, belonged to the CIABG and there is a photo of it in the book by Oliver Publishing, Combat Camera 1, Cromwell and Centaur, which indicates that it was a command tank, so it carried an extra aerial. I made this from some 10thou sheet and a piece of shaped sprue.

GJrBvym.jpg

The vane sight and the aerial base for the No.19 radio set came from the Eduard set. The locking latches for the hatch covers were made from small pieces of shaped card.

k20ZJBQ.jpg

Many Cromwells carried a spare road wheel on the side of the turret, but there is no spare in the kit. Fortunately, I had a spare one from a Comet kit which is almost identical, the difference being the number of attachment bolts; 10 for the Comet and 8 for the Cromwell. I shave off the bolt heads and then opened up the centre until it was approximately 8.5mm. Then using a template, I drilled the eight holes for the attachment bolts. There are six holes around the outer rim, just inside the tyre that need filling.

tsuF1kj.jpg

Now it was ready for the paint shop. Back in a couple of days.

John.

• Like 12

Yourcomments, as always Ed, are much appreciated. I hope to post the final update tomorrow, and then maybe put it into RFI.

John.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Lovely work John, thanks again for taking the time to educate us on Cromwell details. :like:

Thank you very much Bob. You're very welcome, and thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

John.

• Like 1

Last update.

I'd gone about as far as I wanted to go with regards to adding extra bits and pieces, so it was now time to move on to the painting. First, I masked off the wheels and tracks as they didn't need painting again. The upper hull was sprayed with Tamiya paints. XF61, XF62 and XF3 in a ratio of 5:2:2 gives a good representation of SCC15. This was then followed by a coat of Johnsons Kleer to give a nice gloss surface for the decals to go on. The decals that I used were Bison Decals sheet No.35108 which contained the makings for a tank of the Czechoslovakian Independent Brigade Group. These went on very well and this was followed up by another coat of Kleer to seal and protect them. Mig's Dark Wash was applied all over with a flat brush and 15 minutes later, the excess was wiped off.

4Ua7Oe8.jpg

I kept the weathering to a minimum, just giving it a dusting of Migs European Dust and Africa Dust. The other pigment that I like to use on green vehicles is Allied Green Fading. I brushed this on in several laces to give a streaked appearance.

I added some more stowage to the engine deck including a coil of rope, a compo box and a camnet. I also tied it down as I hate to see stowage on a tank not secured.

IovyVP9.jpg

uNmNyr1.jpg

At the back, I added the essentials for squaddies in the field, namely cooking utensils. The bucket came from a Tamiya set (I think), the kettle from a Resicast set and the saucepan and frying pan I made from scratch using cut down pieces of a ball point pen with the handles made from some scrap etched brass.

vEKkT6L.jpg

There were just a few final jobs to do on the turret. I painted the padding on the hatch covers using Humbrol Leather, and then lightly wiped them over with some burnt sienna oil paint. The aerials are Accurate Armour and the Bren gun was added as I have a photo of a Cromwell with one sitting atop the turret. The two pixie suited crew members are Resicast, but I changed the heads for ones from Hornet, not because there was anything wrong with Resicast's but because I wanted mine to be wearing berets and not helmets.

n2ZEfLN.jpg

So, that's this rehash finished with. Thanks for your patience, and to all those who added a comment.

John.

• Like 8

Impressive! A well used and lived-in Cromwell. The whole build has come together really well. The crewmember in the right hand hatch looks deep in concentration while the Commander gives his orders on the wireless: both are very well done.

The overall grimy weathering is just right IMHO.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

So, that's this rehash finished with.

That looks superb John, I really like the stowage and extras that you have added but, should that shovel be so shiny? :hmmm:

I know as I'm an ex-blue job so it's not my forte, but aren't shiny things and reflections were to be avoided on combat vehicles?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

I hate to see stowage on a tank not secured.

Realistically stowage on AFV not tied down should be really quite rare?🙂

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, echen said:

Impressive! A well used and lived-in Cromwell. The whole build has come together really well. The crewmember in the right hand hatch looks deep in concentration while the Commander gives his orders on the wireless: both are very well done.

The overall grimy weathering is just right IMHO.

18 minutes ago, echen said:

Realistically stowage on AFV not tied down should be really quite rare?🙂

Thanks Echen. He's either deep in concentration, or asleep!!

I'd agree with you about the stowage. If it wasn't tied down, it wouldn't be there for long, once the tank started moving cross country.

John.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

That looks superb John, I really like the stowage and extras that you have added but, should that shovel be so shiny? :hmmm:

I know as I'm an ex-blue job so it's not my forte, but aren't shiny things and reflections were to be avoided on combat vehicles?

Point taken. It's actually painted black, but I must have rubbed it over with a soft pencil. It will be sorted.

Thanks for your comments Bob.

John.

• Like 1

Another outstanding replica from your bench John, superb workmanship coupled to great attention to details

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Another outstanding replica from your bench John, superb workmanship coupled to great attention to details

Stay safe           Roger

Many thanks Roger. I appreciate your comments.

John.

Lovely work John.

Exploring the British line of tanks is next on my list after my stash-reduction chronological build. Other than an Italeri Crusader many years ago I don't think I've built a single one, I'll make amends later this year,an A10 Cruiser Mk I is on the chrono list.

• Thanks 1

Initially I thought I'd seen this before but as its progressed I'm not so sure.

Anyway cracking job John particularly like the pans and the leather effect on the hatches. 

Great work demonstrating a real depth of knowledge!

Darryl 

(Talking about tying the stowage down......Is that spare tie down rope secured...:whistle:)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Very nicely done, looks tremendous, I really like the photo showing the rear in particular all those lovely paint tones that are there. Really good work, well done...

Ed

• Thanks 1

On 29/03/2024 at 18:36, Ned said:

Lovely work John.

Exploring the British line of tanks is next on my list after my stash-reduction chronological build. Other than an Italeri Crusader many years ago I don't think I've built a single one, I'll make amends later this year,an A10 Cruiser Mk I is on the chrono list.

Thanks Ned. I look forward to seeing your A10.

On 29/03/2024 at 18:44, mbthejester said:

Cracking revamp, nice tidy job on this John, looks great. 

cheers

Mark

Thanks mark. Much appreciated.

On 29/03/2024 at 23:03, Jasper dog said:

Initially I thought I'd seen this before but as its progressed I'm not so sure.

Anyway cracking job John particularly like the pans and the leather effect on the hatches. 

Great work demonstrating a real depth of knowledge!

Darryl 

(Talking about tying the stowage down......Is that spare tie down rope secured...:whistle:)

Yes, you have seen it before. I think that it was about seven years ago, but the photos have all gone. I got the mods to delete the old thread, now that I've done this one.

Trust you to find something not tied down.:doh: At the time, they were experimenting with an early form of velcro rope. Like s---  to a blanket. Sticks to anything!!:giggle:

On 29/03/2024 at 23:17, edjbartos said:

Very nicely done, looks tremendous, I really like the photo showing the rear in particular all those lovely paint tones that are there. Really good work, well done...

Ed

Thanks for the comments Ed. Yes, I was very happy with the way that the rear end turned out.

22 minutes ago, SimonL said:

Nice work. Inspiring as always!

Cheers Simon. I appreciate the comments.

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1