A Bunch of Arma Hobby Mustangs

I had to mask up the whole thing to repaint the wing where I'd managed to smudge the aluminum paint:

IMG_20240330_110306

Success!

IMG_20240330_130057

And then mask it all up again for the yellow stripes that I forgot about:

IMG_20240330_154607

I just sort of lined up the flaps in the 'up' position as best I could in order to line up the stripes.

It worked out OK.

IMG_20240330_161917

Then painted the trim tabs black:

IMG_20240330_172416

I've spent some time thinking about how to get the forward portion of the drooped flaps to be even shinier than the natural metal, as it appears in many photographs - and remembered @Fritag's Jet Provosts:

So out came the foil for the fescalized portion of the flaps:

IMG_20240330_164255

Difficult to get a pic of the difference versus the metalizer and Vallejo, but I think there is a contrast:

IMG_20240331_140226

Oh, and got most of the transfers on - they're still a little wrinkled from the Mr Mark Softer

IMG_20240331_143939

And got together a pile of props and a tree of tires:

IMG_20240331_140247

IMG_20240331_122437

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful work .....amazing looking flaps. Just a flawless build and 1/72 even. The canopy looks really good also. Thin lined and perfect. Your Rivets on 1/72 look just right imo. Not too big ,not too small but just right.

-HH

• Thanks 1

I’ve always riveted my models pre paint , pre primer , I’ve never been brave enough to attempt it after paint. I got a try doing the riveting later so I don’t lose them to paint. I mostly loose them In the U.S markings. Great build you got my brain spinning with build thoughts. 

-HH

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Difficult to get a pic of the difference versus the metalizer and Vallejo, but I think there is a contrast

Definitely. This really is proving an exemplar NMF build (but that’s no surprise!). 👍👍

• Thanks 1

Excellent job with the NMF, Cookie! :worthy: I think the difference really shows on the flaps! :clap:

And top job with the decals too, almost done now!

Ciao 

• Thanks 1

Great paint work.  I still have my stash of MM Metaliser and although it’s literally decades since I used it last, I think it might make an appearance on my Pony.  I hope it comes out as well as yours did.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone!

@HarryHobbyin, I like riveting after paint (and sometimes after decals), and with the smaller '1/72' labeled riveters, it's still really difficult to see them anyway, so any mistakes are pretty well hidden!

This one fought me a bit at the end - managed to get a glob of glue on the nose when attaching the exhausts and had to repaint and carefully add a decal patch for the nose checkers, and lost a main landing gear cover somewhere and had to steal one from another kit and quickly paint it up.

Oh, and I forgot to add the wing guns before gluing them together, so had to scratch some up from plastic rod.

IMG_20240406_171445

IMG_20240406_172001

Last bunch of bits and bobs:

IMG_20240420_080442

And I'm declaring it done:

IMG_20240420_084613

My eyes may have been bigger than my paint brush with this build, but I'm still planning on building the next two in parallel - just in case though, here's a pic of 'My Buddy' with another Arma Mustang, Jan Zumbach's wing leader:

IMG_20240420_084546

I'll try and get gallery pics up soon!

• Like 13

Thanks everybody!

Here is proof that I'm actually attempting at least two more Arma Mustangs:

IMG_20240429_210938

The one in front is intended to be the Air Commando F-6C - it has belts from a Fine Molds set, they're plastic! @Corsairfoxfouruncle or @corsaircorp, can you recommend any good references for SEAC/CBI Mustangs?

The one in back is intended to be the Free French F-6C on the box art - it got masking tape belts, but I'm planning on building the canopy closed up on it to make it as sleek looking as possible.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Thanks everybody!

IMG_20240429_210938

The one in front is intended to be the Air Commando F-6C - it has belts from a Fine Molds set, they're plastic! @Corsairfoxfouruncle or @corsaircorp, can you recommend any good references for SEAC/CBI Mustangs?

The one in back is intended to be the Free French F-6C on the box art - it got masking tape belts, but I'm planning on building the canopy closed up on it to make it as sleek looking as possible.

References in books or decals ??

Great Mustangs all around Cookie !!

Your NMF one is top !!!

CC

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Thanks everybody!

IMG_20240429_210938

I have some materials in my files but will mot be able to get to them until tomorrow ? What exact info do you require Cookie ? Might help me narrow my search parameters ? 

These are from a quick search. The 118th TRS was probably one of the big Recon units in theater. I will see if I can dig up more tomorrow. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P-51_Flightline,_Laohwangping,_June_1945.jpg

https://www.118trs.com/group-photos

https://www.118trs.com/history-of-the-118th

https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2022/05/25/north-american-p-51c-f-6c-mustangs-of-the-118th-tactical-reconnaissance-squadron-color-photographs-part-ii/

https://m.facebook.com/groups/644781680048391/permalink/646097703250122/

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/air-recon-squadron.html?blackwhite=1&page=3&sortBy=relevant

I did a build of one of these myself a few years ago. There might be more info in the thread. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2