Jet 2 BPK 1/72 737-800

Hi everyone

Here is my completed BPK 737-800
Its pretty much straight out of the box, except for some authentic airliners window decals, rocast probes & antennas and some home made J2 decals and masks.
Thanks for looking appreciate any constrictive feedback 

53572973101_1ee938a84b_k.jpg

53573176228_8b92951e4b_k.jpg

2023-11-29 22-28-33 (B,R8,S4)

53573414385_7493e4dafd_k.jpg

2023-11-29 22-38-54 (B,R8,S4)-Edit _N4A2510-Edit

53573295789_ddf5033d77_k.jpg

Edited by Olly Tindall
  • Like 51
  • Thanks 4

Hi Olly,

Fantastic! Really impressive, I generally only work in 1/144 but seeing this makes me want to swap to 1/72. I'm guessing this is nearly 2 foot long?

Love the highly polished metal leading edges, always a feature on Jet2 aircraft, which paint did you use? Also what colour did you use for the fuselage?

Great work on the decals and masks too. It's difficult to know which is decal and which is painted.

Is it a nice kit to build?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Wow!  That's an excellent job.  How difficult was it to integrate the four-part fuselage?  In profile, your model looks like the real thing, and I think you should be justly proud of it.  Only thing I'd do is tweak the right hand main gear to ensure both tires are contacting the ground.  If you do that, you'll have a contest winner, and beat out those pesky Tamiya P-51s dressed up as air racers!

• Like 2

• Olly Tindall changed the title to Jet 2 BPK 1/72 737-800
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Olly,

Fantastic! Really impressive, I generally only work in 1/144 but seeing this makes me want to swap to 1/72. I'm guessing this is nearly 2 foot long?

Love the highly polished metal leading edges, always a feature on Jet2 aircraft, which paint did you use? Also what colour did you use for the fuselage?

Great work on the decals and masks too. It's difficult to know which is decal and which is painted.

Is it a nice kit to build?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Turbofan

Yes it's a massive model, but quite impressive in real life.

The leading edges were painted in AK super chrome, it's gives an amazing finish but it's incredibly fragile. Just look at it the wrong way and the finish gets marred and dulled, not found any clear that works with it either yet.

The fuselage is Tamiya LP-72 mica silver, I saw it recommended on here.

Decals wise it's only jet 2 logos on the engine, as I my cricut couldn't cut masks that fine, the rest of the markings are painted.

It's not terrible to build, but its definitely not a tamiya, does require some filling and sanding. Strangely it was the engines that I couldn't get to fit and required alot of work.

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's a real beauty, cracking build, paint and decalling!

Top job!

Keith

Thank you for the kind words 

Edited by Olly Tindall
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Wow!  That's an excellent job.  How difficult was it to integrate the four-part fuselage?  In profile, your model looks like the real thing, and I think you should be justly proud of it.  Only thing I'd do is tweak the right hand main gear to ensure both tires are contacting the ground.  If you do that, you'll have a contest winner, and beat out those pesky Tamiya P-51s dressed up as air racers!

Thank you for the kind words!

Yes I should definitely sort out the landing gear, but I'm not sure that would make it a competition winner 😅

20 minutes ago, Pete in a shed said:

A superb finish, not a blemish visible.  Great skills.

Pete

Thank you

Glad the countless hours sanding amd polishing weren't wasted 😅

Absolutely fantastic work. Not normally a fan of civil aircraft but that is an excellent build. Looking forward to what you do next. 

• Like 1

Stunning 738 - Jet2 really do like to keep their engine nacelles ridiculously shiny, which you have replicated so very well.

Any thoughts of building a Titan Model 1/72 752 in Jet2 colours ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airbusboy said:

Stunning 738 - Jet2 really do like to keep their engine nacelles ridiculously shiny, which you have replicated so very well.

Any thoughts of building a Titan Model 1/72 752 in Jet2 colours ?

Thanks for the kind words, yes the polished leading edges look 👌 

I might look into that, but I'm moving house in a week so might be a while yet 😅

I'm not normally one to comment on civil models but this is so nice. The Jet2 scheme is very eye catching and even more so because you masked and painted it. it must be an impressive looking model in the flesh.

Duncan B

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I'm not normally one to comment on civil models but this is so nice. The Jet2 scheme is very eye catching and even more so because you masked and painted it. it must be an impressive looking model in the flesh.

Duncan B

Thank you for the kind words Duncan.

I'm glad I've finally started to put my cricut vinyl cutter to some good use 

• Like 1

That really is a masterpiece, Olly.  

And beautifully photographed too.

I've yet to build this model.......can you recall how much weight (approximately) you used in the nose to balance it on the ground ?

Also, what paint/s did you use for the red ?   

I've looked for some time to try and find something suitable, Jet2 have quite a particular shade of red.  I was recommended to use a ModelMaster red (code number 1503, if I recall) but I believe it was discontinued some time ago....

Anyway, thank you for the inspiration, your model is a joy to behold.

Don

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aircraftkit said:

That really is a masterpiece, Olly.  

And beautifully photographed too.

I've yet to build this model.......can you recall how much weight (approximately) you used in the nose to balance it on the ground ?

Also, what paint/s did you use for the red ?   

I've looked for some time to try and find something suitable, Jet2 have quite a particular shade of red.  I was recommended to use a ModelMaster red (code number 1503, if I recall) but I believe it was discontinued some time ago....

Anyway, thank you for the inspiration, your model is a joy to behold.

Don

Hi Don

You are too kind 

Apologies I finished this last year so the details aren't fresh in my mind. I dont remember exactly how much weight I added, but it was definitely a fair bit more than recommended.

The red I'm not 100% sure as I'm moving house next week & everything is packed up. But it was definitely either Tamiya LP-7 or LP-50

• Like 1

Thanks Olly, that's a great start, I'll check out both those Tamiya reds to see which looks most suitable.

So far as weighting the model is concerned, I'll probably use the old fail-safe method of taping the unmade main components together to establish where the centre of gravity lies !

I only asked because model aircraft instruction sheets are notoriously inaccurate so far as nose weighting is concerned.

Your 737 is a wonderful creation, I'll be very pleased if mine comes out half as good as yours.

Don

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, aircraftkit said:

Thanks Olly, that's a great start, I'll check out both those Tamiya reds to see which looks most suitable.

So far as weighting the model is concerned, I'll probably use the old fail-safe method of taping the unmade main components together to establish where the centre of gravity lies !

I only asked because model aircraft instruction sheets are notoriously inaccurate so far as nose weighting is concerned.

Your 737 is a wonderful creation, I'll be very pleased if mine comes out half as good as yours.

Don

Yes it definitely required more than the instructions, I remember that much.

Can't wait to see your completed model

Well thats a bit lovely! Spent 15 years cutting my teeth on the 737 airframe and I know their lines well, this is absolutely beautiful. I see plenty of Jet2 73's around Glasgow and they certainly look after their aircraft. 

Nice choice of reg too!

Eng

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can’t believe I missed this one!  Sorry!  😯

What an awesome model!

I’ve been afraid to start on my kit until I really feel my head is in the right place.

This build is utterly stunning and will serve as a benchmark to strive for when I decide to start.

👏👏👏👏👏